Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Library Song Limit

Solved!

Library Song Limit

Spotify staff-

I recently reached the 10,000 song limit in my library, which is a great disappointment.  As a loyal customer for over 3 years, I have thoroughly enjoyed your product, so much that I have shifted to using it as my main source of music collection.  There must be some way that you can enable "super users" to continue to file and organize their music over this arbitrary limit.  

There may not be many of us, but (and this should be obvious) those of us that actually reach this limit are your core constituents.  We are passionate about music and your product, and I can tell you that I have gotten at least 20 people to sign up to Spotify Premium over the past couple of years as I have raved about it.  I will continue to do so, with the caveat that Spotify just isn't yet ready to become a full-fledged music library of record for musical aficianados, much to my disappointment.

One more thought: You may find interest in the creation of some type of super user account that would allow you to charge SLIGHTLY more for those of us who desire or require a higher song limit (say, unlimited...) without having to alter the accounts of your millions of users.  Bottom line is that unlimited should mean unlimited, especially in this age of big data, but a 10,000 song cap with no alternative is absurd.

Thanks

271 Replies

I don't understand this.... the albums/artists I choose to save should be stored in a database somewhere (or, let me guess... in mongodb? lol). I don't see why this number directly correlates to what Spotify perceives as "songs I have saved". I barely store any songs locally, except for my cell phone and my work laptop in case I'm offline.

Either way 10,000 is an arbitrary hard-cap set by some non-wit who probably was hired at Spotify in some middle-management role to oversee technologies they probably never touched professionally but WOW can they make a resume look pretty -- of course, not as pretty as their LinkedIn profile picture because without substance you need to gussy up your relevence in an industry you either don't know or don't care to know somehow, amirite?

Cool, so lets recap:

1) Set hard-limit to 10,000 without any technical merit behind that decision

2) Don't give users any insight (a percentage, a usage bar, any sort of chart or graph)

3) Tell the user they are at quota with a cute info-pop that doesn't provide any usable information (ie: a link, an article, a wiki entry, some sort of knowledge base)

4) Give no other options to the end-user other then "yeah so like it says on your music collection is f'd and your stuffs all retarded.... what I'd do, is just like... like... you know, like, you know what I mean, like..."

5) Leave it up to the end-user to figure out exactly what one has to do in order to rectify this ridiculous UX behavior, of course assuming people have nothing better to do (in addition to work, life, family, children, appointments, household chores, etc..) than to click around ALBUM BY ALBUM, SONG BY SONG, ARTIST BY ARTIST, ONE BY ONE until you've "unsaved(?)" enough "Thingz-n-Stuffz(tm)" that is deemed necessary.

My best guess is this charade is nothing more than a homework assignment guised as a guessing game to mask the incompetence of Spotify's engineers. It's what we in the industry call crowd-sourcing: "Well we can't figure it out and there's no Electron plugins available or package available for Syphilis Salamander release of KLOLZ-UBUNTUX and we didn't happen to come across a Stack Overflow solution that worked, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. PLEASE, I'd love to know how close I am with my hypothesis Spotify.

Already started playing around with other options including Amazon Music Unlimitied so whatever with all this**bleep**.

Very much enjoyed your comment XD hahaha

YOU TELL EM BRO

Amazing comment. Currently with Google play music and castbox for podcasts. The interface for GPM is a little iffy but not too bad. Managed to transfer my playlists but not my library. So currently rebuilding it. 

The problem is that most of us uses the Add to Library as some sort of "I liked that music" button. There is no point in having a music in "my library" instead of in any other playlist. Your library is nothing more than another playlist. What Spotify should do is add a Rating system to songs (any song, not just in Radio or Discovery Weekly). So if you like or dislike a song, you should just add a rating to it. After that you could search and see all the songs that you liked or see if a Playlist by another user has more or lesse music you like or not. Or even music you never rated...

If you agree with me, please vote in this idea:

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/Music-Personal-Rating-of-Music/idi-p/179102

I don't think that's true.  People like libraries because its organized by albums and artist.  Playlist is just a big pile of songs.

That's also true. We should be able to browse our music the way each one fells right. By Artist, by album, by rating, by date added, by date played, etc. There should be the usual views and a "View Builder" so advanced users could make their own.

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/Music-Personal-Rating-of-Music/idi-p/179102

I've hit the 10,000 song limit today and face a similar problem to the user posting about the way classical music is catalogued.

I listen almost exclusively to musical theatre which, by its very nature, demands that songs on an album are listened to sequentially, to follow a story.

I am constantly discovering new cast recordings to listen to but now cannot save any more albums! Playlist workaround is clunky at best for this genre, musicals are referred to by title, not artist (usually multiple).

Please, please fix this for your premium users... 

I am a music maniac myself and because of the same issue I moved to another service with 100 000 songs cap.

The 10,000 song limit is BS. "Epic collection" my @ss.

Effing music N azis over at Spotify.

I thought the Songs area under Your Library is effectively a "default playlist", and you can create as many other playlists as you need - and there is no global limit to the number of songs you effectively "bookmark" - just a 10,000 limit per playlist.

If that's the case, isn't this issue trivial to work around?

When I like a track, I add it to a playlist. I never click the "heart" icon.

My Songs list is empty, and always will be. 

I have lots of playlists, so my music is grouped in many ways (genres, tempos, year of discovery, etc.) - so I presumably won't hit any limit.

I would hate to have all my music in one gigantic playlist anyway.

So for me this is a non-issue (unless I'm mistaken and there is in fact a global limit?)

Do people want it to work like an iTunes-style library, because that's what they're used to?

Sometimes you have to just go with the flow and work the way the tool works. Life is too short.

I will likely cancel my family account due to this restriction soon. 

To clarify problem to @enteq:

10000 song limit is calculated even for tracks from "saved" albums. For example, i like to save albums to have access to them through Albums menu. Navigating through your saved albums is conceptually different then using some genre/year/mood playlists with a lot of different albums there. Also, its comfortable to save per album to offline listening.

And all this doesnt work because fking spotify for some reason calculates songs from saved albums...and make a proposal to you to "unsave" some when you'r hit the limit. Ridiculous. 

OK I can see that if you use Spotify in an album-centric way, then this would be a problem.

It seems that whenever you "save" an album, every track on that album appears in your Songs list. So if an album has 10 tracks on average, you'd hit the limit after just 1,000 albums! That's ridiculously small. Many people have (or used to have) physical record collections bigger than that.

In fact the whole way Spotify deals with albums is a bit lame - it should be possible to save an album as an entity in its own right, rather than adding all its songs to your Songs list and getting the album cover listed as a side-effect.

I happen to use Spotify in a track-centric way rather than an album-centric way, so luckily this issue doesn't affect me. I just put my tracks into different playlists and each playlist has a separate 10,000 track limit.

But if you work in an album-centric way I can see that this would suck big time. Thanks for the clarification.

Well, even if you are not hit with the 10,000 song limit becase of the way you setup your music (but a lot of us are), then you are hit with the 3333 limit on music per device.  

There are too many limitations with spotify.  I went Apple last year and could not be happier!  

Spotify should hire better developers... these limitations are due to poor product  development.   Luckily, spotify is losing customers and hopefully will be purchased by someone who will start over and develop it properly.  

Hello! Yes, you can remove older songs or albums from your library. He took him 3 years to reach the milestone of 10k songs. You will be ok

I reached the limit in less than four hours of moving my songs over.  

Your time limit means nothing to those who "really" listen to a large variety of music.  

+1 to please remove this limitation

It is massivly frustrating if you have to crawl every time into your Library to remove an album in order to save a new one - not very premium. It is like running out of disk space, but you just want to keep track of what you have listened to re-visit it later.

Whats the limitation there for anyway? Does it blow up your vector-space for you recommendation-algorithms?

For comparsion: According to last.fm I listened in 2017 to 6.000 different Songs (although im in the 96% percentile) - so the limit of hitting 10.000 songs is easily reachable across a bigger timespan even when you just save every song you listened to.

So Spotify wrote the following:

As we've previously said, less than 1% of users are reaching this Your Music limit. The current limit ensures a great experience for 99% of users instead of an "OK" experience for 100%. 

We've kept a close eye on your feedback though and we agree if a solution for this could be met it would be beneficial for everyone. While this isn't in our current timeline we're changing this to "Good Idea" and we'll update you if we have any info. Thanks!"

What kind of feedback is that to a customer group? That looks like an internal mail before the PR got their eyes on it. Yes, and guess which 1% actually want more than 10.000 tracks in their libraries? Could those be the people who are very involved in music in some way or another? I bet a majority is.

Also, thanks for letting us know how unimportant business wise this is because it's only 1% who care. That answer is just so unprofessional.... Instead just write "we'll take a look at it and might change it in the future". Don't involve the users in your internal algorithms for when a "case" is important enough for action... If you want music collectors to support anything digital, at least try to cater for them creating a digital library. I spend quite a lot of money on this subsciption, 1200 DKK a year isn't peanuts. And now I have to replace one album when I add another. Great.

There´s something else I consider.

When we cycle through our own libraries to make some room for new albums, are we actually 'disliking' those we remove?

This is likely to affect the 'Discover weekly' and 'Daily Mixes' playlists generation.

We all know the bands I like. It is not necessary to have their albums in our libraries. Those are the first I removed when I first hit The Limit,

...and they never showed up in my Daily Mixes again.

In my opinion, it would be OK if we had to remove albums to make some room ONLY IF the underlying algorithms still had knowledge of our all-time liked albums. (with no quantity limit and with the obvious possibility of disliking albums)

So Spotify would generate the 'Daily Mixes' and 'Discover Weekly' based on the albums "I like" instead of based the albums we keep in our libraries. Meaning that the semantics of saving an album to Library would be different than todays.

Just my two cents

Happy listening!

Marcos.

Rather than deleting songs from your library, why don't you just move them to a playlist? Then I think they continue to influence your Discover Weekly and Release Radar recommendations. And you can continue listening to them from the playlist, of course.

If the earlier discussion is true, each playlist has its own 10,000 song limit - so you'll never run out of space.

The reason I suspect playlists also influence your DW/RR recommendations is that they are all I use. My Songs library is empty - and I never "like" tracks, I just add them to playlists. And I still get nicely tailored DW/RR. But I can't be sure if that's based on what I listen to, what's in my playlists, or some combination of the two. Spotify's recommendation engine is a black box in that regard.

The only thing I'm sure you definitely lose by using playlists is that there are no album and artist views. So you don't get to swipe through album covers. As far as I'm aware, there are no other differences.

It would be good if Spotify could confirm whether the above information is accurate or not.

In the meantime, I'm happily using playlists and not expecting to hit any global track limit.

Suggested posts