Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify family but different country

Spotify family but different country

Hello,

I've currently moved to Ireland for my studies, and would like to join a Family Plan for my cousin who is in Malaysia. When I enter the invite code, I get this message: "We couldn't add you to the Family plan as your account needs to be based in the same country as the Family plan owner."

I am unable to change my details as I am currently on a free account, and would like to know how I may go about joining this plan even if I put my country as a different one as my family member. Does Spotify not account for family members living in different countries?

Thank you very much. 🙂

37 Replies

I've just tried tweeting Spotify about this. NO response, do they even HAVE customer care? From reading the thread it's obvious that this is utter BS. I've been a Premium customer for years but now because I cahnged to Family I can't change country and include my partner who lives in the same house. SURELY Spotify must know about this?!?

When do you plan to change the name of the product? I want to get spotify family for my family but my brother lives in Sweden and I live in Spain so I suppose that we are no longer family then according to Spotify?

Spotify still havnt done anything with this. Idiotic.

FIX IT!

Hey I live in Northern Ireland my sister is in The Republic of Ireland and I can't add her to my family plan??? Loads of phone networks in NI and the Republic make special arrangements for the cross border services they need to think this service through better! I am disappointed

Easy fix. the owner of the account/plan needs to set up the user with a spare email address and pass on the details to the person they would like to share the account with.

And the point is that with netflix is completely possible and very easy... Yess spotify, very disappointing...

Hey @ciddder, Welcome to the community!

You can only use Spotify for Family if you reside at the same adress. If you think this would be a great improvement vote for the idea here.

Hey we tried that it still didn't work 😞

Does anyone know if Apple Music or Google Play have this limitation?
This sucks.

Im having the same problem! I live in indonesia but my billing address is in Austria, so when i try adding my family i can't because it says im in Austria and they are in Indonesia although we are in the same house in indonesia! so now i already payed the full price but i can't add any of my family members!!!! so annoyed! bad move spotify. 

My sister was unable to join the invite cause she is currently in the US and I'm in Canada, I agree with everybody else, Spotify shouldnt care if the people are in the same country or not, just like Netflix.

Same issue. I paid with a French credit card but I happen to live in Finland with my wife, so she has a Finnish account and I have a French one. I figured out I have to change my billing details for a Finnish credit card, so that Spotify recognizes I'm in Finland. But changes will only occur next month! So my wife cannot use Spotify Family for a month. Great...

And next month i'll be a french guy on a Finnish account with my wife's credit card information so that I can invite her to enjoy my Spotify Family account...How messed-up is that? Any way we can speed-up that process or something?

Thanks...

I had the same problem - my wife and I live in the UK but we got a message saying she couldn't join Premium for Family as she's registered in another country.  I went to the 'Contact Spotify' section and chatted with an adviser - she said for some reason my wife was registered in the US, but was able to change her country to UK.  Problem solved in a couple of minutes!  Very impressed.

Having issues, just signed up for family account and plan to bin apple music in the next week or so, depending on this issue, sent an invite to my wife who lives with me, but when she accepts the invite and inputs the code, it keeps saying she lives in a different country..... she is german and I have checked her gmail account settings, shows she used to live in germany but is currently set to UK, same as mine but still doesn't work... help or i'll have to cancel this mistake.

I had the same issue. I'm using Apple Music, problem resolved.

That’s irrational. Terrible business approach and not care of the client

I am so angry with Spotify for the same reason. I am cancelling mum subscription and we are heading over to Apple Music 

Spotify doesn't give a darn about noise on these community forums.

I have the same problem. European countries are small and going across the border is a very routine event. Not being able to add family members to the same family account just because they live in different countries (kids going studying, people on vacations, I happened to register in the wrong country while on sabbatical...) is pure nonsense. 

But as I said ... this is all just noise to Spotify. I have also tried to tweet to their "support" on another issue - no response for over two weeks. I don't expect one anymore either. **bleep**ty customer service. Although I was on the verge of actually signing up for the family premium account I'm now going elsewhere. No point giving money to a company that doesn't care for its own customers.

Suggested posts