Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Why is my account being logged in elsewhere?

Why is my account being logged in elsewhere?

Three times today, while sleeping, I received email notifications on new sign ins for my account from Italy and the US. This is the second time where something like this has happened. Songs are added and removed, music has also been played on its own before.

It first started shortly after I got premium. I've reset my password several times, logged out every several times, and now 3 "logins" in one day

For the record, I have never logged into my account anywhere but my phone and only this one phone, that being an s10+ with the latest updates 

Screenshot_20200211-110628_Gmail.jpg
7 Replies

Hi @9m183mtp1ydnr5c

Thank you for reaching out here in the Community!

It's good to know that you've already taken some steps. However, it's better to open the password reset form in a private/incognito window, and choose a strong password you haven't used before.
Then you can go to your account page and click SIGN OUT EVERYWHERE again.

It's also strongly advised that you change the password for:

• The email address associated with your Spotify account (e.g. with Gmail, Hotmail, etc.).
  • Any Facebook profile associated with your Spotify account. You can make sure you're the only one currently logged into your Facebook in your Facebook Settings, under Security and login > Where You’re Logged In.
  • Any service where you use the same password as Spotify.

Make sure to check this article as well, in order to protect your Spotify account. 

If after following those steps, the issue still persists, you can reach out to Customer Support.
You can find the contact form here.

I hope it helps! 

This is where problems arise lol

I either use browsers that are innately private/incognito or I use a VPN for a brief time to do things like that. The email the account is made with has a completely different password. And the account isn't linked to a Facebook account.

Apparently from what I've read online I should expect random logins and music for some reason 

Hello @9m183mtp1ydnr5c

If after following the steps provided in the article I linked previously the issue still persists, feel free to contact Customer Support. It's the last link from my previous response. 

Let me know if you have any further questions! 

Interesting to find this thread.  The past 2 nights I've received a "new login" notification email.  Haven't yet done the log out everywhere, as I see it doesn't do "partner devices" which probably includes my Google speaker.

A big deficiency in the Spotify account management page is not having a list of logged in devices.   Spotify knows what they are, as they can log them out, but they don't show them.  A simple list would allow a user to look and verify if it made sense or not.

Interesting as well are the time stamps on the logins.  Two consecutive evenings, yesterday at 10:41:21 PM EST, tonight at 10:41:31 PM EST.  Timing suggests something automated rather than human.  Location simply says United States both times.

Come on, Spotify.  Don't assume we're not capable.  Give us the info.

Hey @jimpsm,

Thanks for reaching out about this.

The best way to provide any feedback regarding implementing new features is via the Idea Exchange.

I've just had a look for relevant ideas and came across this one - feel free to add your vote to it:

You can find out more about how your feedback reaches Spotify via the Idea Exchange here.

Let us know if you have any further questions!

Same problem here. Spotify is capable of knowing  the apps/devices that logged your account but wouldnt let users get a hold of them. This would have made things easier as we can determine where the access is coming from. Also I've worked as customer service myself and I am well versed as far as making sure I have taken necessary actions in securing my data. Getting notified of random access every once in a while really makes me feel that there is something wrong with spotify's security.

Please consider fact you have been breached. Change all of your passwords , for all of your most used vendors. Passwords are often bought in bulk, but if they have your email so do they access to spotify etc. Setting s go to log out of all devices. Log into with all new credentials.

Suggested posts