Step 1

NEXT STEP

Android TV - External Keyboards Not Working Since GUI Update

Android TV - External Keyboards Not Working Since GUI Update

Plan: Premium

Device: Sony XF90 Android TV

My Question or Issue

Hi Spotify Community,

For the last 18 months I've been using the Spotify Android TV App on my Sony TV, in combination with an external wireless keyboard connected to the TV's USB port. This has served as a great solution for typing in track names, avoiding cumbersome entry with the TV remote. 

Within the last week my keyboard functionality has stopped working correctly - it seems to align with the recent GUI change (new sidebar etc.). I have updated the app to the very latest version (1.30), along with my TV firmware, but to no avail.

I am unable to enter text in the search box, and instead certain key presses have bizarre outcomes (e.g. caps lock causes the page to scroll down). Arrow key functionality does appear to work correctly for navigating the GUI. To confirm, I have checked the cursor is definitely "clicked" in the search box.

The results are the same across 3 different keyboards, 2 with a wireless dongle and 1 via Bluetooth. Text input on other applications, such as YouTube, is working fine - same as ever.

Any support would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

James

78 Replies

I have the same issue with a Logitec K400 Plus and Sony TV. The keyboard functions everywhere, execpt in the spotify app.

Uninstall drivers in Device ManagerScan For new hardware This will re-install the drivers  then check your keyboard !

You do realize this is Android TV, not Windows, we're talking about here, right?

Logitech is android ?

You're talking about "uninstalling drivers in Device Manager" which is Windows stuff. This whole thread is about external keyboards not working properly with Spotify in *Android TV* which is an operating system for smart TVs and streaming media devices (like the Nvidia Shield).

1. External keyboard is logitech k400 is windows not android 

Only way to update the driver is thru windows or MAC you would not be able to update the drivers thru your super hyped up SHIELD or ANDROID sony tv .logitech will work as a wireless keyboard 

Hey @jpdmZwalm

Help’s here!

We recommend restarting the Sony TV and resetting your Logitech keyboard. In case this doesn't do the trick, make sure you reinstall the Spotify app. 

If the issue persists after reinstalling, it'd be best to reach out to Logitech support here

Cheers! 

@Ivan

Please check Mihail's mail to this thread on 2020-11-03 09:26 AM. This has already been diagnosed as a synch issue related to specific set-ups with Spotify on a smart tv and an external keyboard.

Hi Spotify Team,

Dissapointing we are going over old ground 9 months into this issue. As Malc has correctly said, the Spotify technical team narrowed the problem down to a sync issue a couple of months back.

As mentioned this is an incompatibility with the basic workings of Android TV, because the on-screen keyboard is hidden for users who decide to connect a physical keyboard. The only way to input text is to physically disconnect the keyboard when using Spotify which is not a practical solution.

Please can you check with Spotify employee Mihail, who responded on 03 Nov with detail of the sync issue, and let us know when this is expected to be addressed.

For anybody reading who has this specific problem, please 'Like' this post, as it is one of the ways Spotify prioritises bug fixes.

Thanks,

James

It works for me, if I hold down the "Enter" key while typing the search text.

It seems that this keeps the on screen keyboard open, and it will accept input from the external keyboard then...

Ugly, but it works for me (Logitech K380 + NVidea Shield)...

Hi Marqiss, thanks for the info! I was excited to try this but unfortunately it didn't work for me on the Sony XF90.

@Spotify Team, is there any update on this issue please?

Thanks,

James

Hey folks,

Thanks for getting back to us 🙂

We don't have any news yet and it's not something that's supported out of the box but we'll chase on this with the relevant folks to let them know it's a desired feature.

If you have questions, you know where to find us.

Stay safe!

Ver Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Could you please elaborate on the "it's not something that's supported out of the box" part? What did you mean by it?

Hey @MalkMcJorma,

Thanks for posting 🙂

This is usually managed by the device on a hardware and driver level rather than the app itself, but it seems something in our app that has changed seems to have disabled this. We'll investigate this further.

If you have more questions, we are here for you.

Ver Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Thank you. As mentioned many times in this thread, Spotify is the only app (at least for me) with which external keyboards don't work.

This is also my experience - I have yet to come across another Android TV app with the issue.

Spotify worked fine with the external keyboard until May 2020 (GUI update), when I made this post. Thanks Ver for investigating.

Thanks,

James

I have the same issue on a Sony Kd-75xf8596 and a Microsoft Arc (model 1392) keyboard. Bought this TV during Black Friday (nov-2020) and think I have tried every thing. Just found this thread and can only say I have the same issue. 

Is it only Sony TVs that have this problem?

And it is only the sporify app that has this problem. 

I have the same issue on a Samsung smart tv (the frame 2020) and a Logitech wireless keyboard k400+

this keyboard works on all apps except Spotify. As soon as you try to type with the wireless keyboard. The on screen keyboard of Samsung in the Spotify app disappears. That is not a problem since I’m using my keyboard but after typing in the searchable (that works) you cannot hit enter to search. And since the on screen keyboard is also gone its its not possible to hit the search button there. And it will not appear only if you press escape. But then your typed text is gone. 

the only solution I found is. Instead of pressing enter after typing in my search I press the “tab” key. And that works.  For some reason it starts searching. So I hope this is a tiny solution for all with the same problem. 

still hope it can be fixed. 

Suggested posts