Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

App Automatically Starts Playback After Opening

App Automatically Starts Playback After Opening

Plan

Premium

Country

US

Device

Google Pixel XL2

Operating System

Android Oreo 

My Question or Issue

I've had this issue fairly recently that has been driving me crazy in regards to Spotify. There's a bug that has been occurring to where seemingly at random, when I open the spotify app on my phone, it immediately starts playback of whatever I was listening to last through my phone speakers (Or headphones if they're connected, but the issue is when it's still open from when I was listening to it last and I unlock my phone.) Likely scared half my office this morning when I unlock my phone to check an email, and music started blasting out of my phone. 

6 Replies

Hey @WHARRGARBL, welcome to the Community!

Sorry to hear about the issue you're having with playback. Hope you didn't spook your work mates too bad. No worries though, we're here to help 🙂

Did this start happening after an app or OS update? Also, if you haven't already given it a go, try a clean reinstall to see if it helps.

Let us know how it goes.

As of this morning I've done a clean reinstall, and I'll update this again in a few days with my results. It was fairly consistently happening every time I would unlock my phone and spotify was still running, so I should know relatively soon. 

I've had luck for a couple days, but as of this morning it happened again. No idea why, but I've become hyper-cautious of it and thankfully had the volume for media at 0, but I still feel like I shouldn't have to be this vigilant about accidentally leaving the spotify app running. 

Also, I realize I never answered the portion of your question regarding an update. It started happening a few weeks ago, but my apps update automatically so I don't know if it's a particular Spotify update that did it. I haven't installed any android updates in that time frame so that is unlikely to be a cause. 

Hey @WHARRGARBL.

Thanks for getting back to us with this info!

Just to confirm, have you noticed if this happens while your phone is connected to a specific Bluetooth device?

In the meantime, try using your Spotify account on a different Android device to see if it behaves the same.

Keep us posted.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”
― Maria Augusta von Trapp

Generally when it happens it's only connected to my fitbit which isn't even setup to control media, since that functionality doesn't work with the Pixel XL2 currently. My current thought is that it might have something to do with detecting other devices to connect to, since I believe it might still remember my home PC/work laptop sessions. 

I presently have no other android devices to try and replicate the issue with. 

Thanks for this info!

In case the app is launching automatically when your fitbit connects to your phone, I suggest checking this thread, as it was reported previously (with a different watch).

If this isn't the case, let us know and we'll see what to suggest.

Cheers.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”
― Maria Augusta von Trapp

Suggested posts