Get an empty info box when trying to listen to a tune

Solved!
Highlighted

Re: Get an empty info box when trying to listen to a tune

Casual Listener

David,

I'm a little confused.  It appears, from what you say, is that I'm using the premium version of Spotify instead of the free one.  Was there a choice when I downloaded the app?  Is there a way for me to get back to the free one? 

In any event, an empty dialog box is no way to handle the situation on Spotify's part.  Doesn't give me much confidence in Spotify's ability to write apps.  Makes them look like they're bumbling.  Especially worrisome since I've given Spotify permissions to my Facebook account.

Rorey,

I get the same empty dialog box as the screen shot shows.  I didn't feel the need to repeat the screen shot.  My wife, who has Spotify installed doesn't get it.

Highlighted

Spotify Legend

@Seabiscuit wrote:

David,

I'm a little confused.  It appears, from what you say, is that I'm using the premium version of Spotify instead of the free one.  Was there a choice when I downloaded the app?  Is there a way for me to get back to the free one? 

Sorry, there might be a little misunderstanding here. The Spotify application is always free to download - however, the amount of features you have access to are different depending on the subscription you have. Streaming tracks to your phone is only available on the Premium subscription of Spotify. Currently, you are on the free version of Spotify. 

You can see how the features differ on each subscription on this page

Would your wife have a subscription on Spotify at all? 

Airhorn Enthusiast
Highlighted

Casual Listener

David,

Thanks for the clarification.  The chart made it clear.  If only the app had been so lucid.

My wife would have only subscribed to the premium account by accident.  She wouldn't have paid for it.  If that's the case how does she cancel her subscription?

Highlighted

Spotify Legend

I believe the app description in the Google Play store does make reference to the 48 hour Premium trial - but I imagine that could be made a lot clearer.

Your wife may also be encountering the 48 hour free trial too - if that's the case, the tracks should be greyed out when browsing through the application. If she's made a subscription, however, she can cancel over at the subscription page, and selecting "View Your Options" at the bottom.

Airhorn Enthusiast
Highlighted

Casual Listener

Hi Guys,

I recently upgraded my phone to a HTC One X and am getting this exact issue after using the App successfully for 2 days. I have restarted un-installed re-installed etc. all songs are greyed out although it will let me search for new tracks / artists etc.

ty

Highlighted
Solution!

Spotify Legend
AVVIT - I just looked into your account and it seems that your last payment failed to go through correctly - did you get a new card at all recently?
Airhorn Enthusiast

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Casual Listener

haha  good shout, ty

Highlighted

Hi I have the same problem with my HTC sensation XE. I thought the Info box was due to my free trial ending but I upgraded to the £4.99 plan but still get the same problem 😞 any idears?
Highlighted

Casual Listener
No they are not local:)
Highlighted

Community Legend

@cham wrote:
Hi I have the same problem with my HTC sensation XE. I thought the Info box was due to my free trial ending but I upgraded to the £4.99 plan but still get the same problem 😞 any idears?

You need to subscribe to Spotify Premium to listen on your mobile

----------------
Listening on Windows, Android and Sonos. Tweeting it at @davelicence
SUGGESTED POSTS