Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Help! - Spotify crashes immediately after starting

Solved!

Help! - Spotify crashes immediately after starting

Hi!

I am (well, was..) a happy premium user for months now. I have been using Spotify on different phones and I never encountered any problems.

However, Spotify simply won't start anymore - I expect after an automatic update. When I try to start Spotify, it shows the interface for a second or so before it then decides to crash immediately. Really frustrating because I cannot use Spotify at all. What am I gonna do without my favorite tunes?!

I have a LG Nexus 5 with a stock Android version (most recent). Spotify has worked before; no issues until now. What I have tried:

* Stopped the app manually through the 'now running apps' menu.
* Cleared the app cache
* Reinstalled the app
* Rebooted my phone

I am in the dark here. I have send you the Spotify log (that's a feature in Android, I think it is send to your Developer Play account?)

Could someone please help me out?

Thx, cheers Lennart

PS. I work in IT, so am I the only one that has a hard time with getting around the fact that there is no support channel for paying customer? Don't get me wrong; I am happy this forum with many active users even exists , but it sure doesn't feel right that you cannot drop your problems in a more official channel.
39 Replies

Right after starting Spotify I get a white screen and then I get "Unfortunately, Spotify has stopped".

It's an assert deep inside the WebView class:

E/AndroidRuntime(16301): FATAL EXCEPTION: main
E/AndroidRuntime(16301): Process: com.spotify.mobile.android.ui, PID: 16301
E/AndroidRuntime(16301): java.lang.AssertionError
E/AndroidRuntime(16301):        at com.android.org.chromium.ui.WindowAndroid.<init>(WindowAndroid.java:40)
E/AndroidRuntime(16301):        at com.android.org.chromium.android_webview.AwContents.createAndInitializeContentViewCore(AwContents.java:491)
E/AndroidRuntime(16301):        at com.android.org.chromium.android_webview.AwContents.setNewAwContents(AwContents.java:587)
E/AndroidRuntime(16301):        at com.android.org.chromium.android_webview.AwContents.<init>(AwContents.java:556)
E/AndroidRuntime(16301):        at com.android.webview.chromium.WebViewChromium.initForReal(WebViewChromium.java:252)
E/AndroidRuntime(16301):        at com.android.webview.chromium.WebViewChromium.access$100(WebViewChromium.java:86)
E/AndroidRuntime(16301):        at com.android.webview.chromium.WebViewChromium$1.run(WebViewChromium.java:239)
E/AndroidRuntime(16301):        at com.android.webview.chromium.WebViewChromium$WebViewChromiumRunQueue.drainQueue(WebViewChromium.java:113)
E/AndroidRuntime(16301):        at com.android.webview.chromium.WebViewChromium$WebViewChromiumRunQueue$1.run(WebViewChromium.java:100)
E/AndroidRuntime(16301):        at com.android.org.chromium.base.ThreadUtils.runOnUiThread(ThreadUtils.java:136)
E/AndroidRuntime(16301):        at com.android.webview.chromium.WebViewChromium$WebViewChromiumRunQueue.addTask(WebViewChromium.java:97)
E/AndroidRuntime(16301):        at com.android.webview.chromium.WebViewChromium.init(WebViewChromium.java:236)
E/AndroidRuntime(16301):        at android.webkit.WebView.<init>(WebView.java:508)
E/AndroidRuntime(16301):        at android.webkit.WebView.<init>(WebView.java:475)
E/AndroidRuntime(16301):        at android.webkit.WebView.<init>(WebView.java:455)
E/AndroidRuntime(16301):        at android.webkit.WebView.<init>(WebView.java:444)
E/AndroidRuntime(16301):        at android.webkit.WebView.<init>(WebView.java:434)
E/AndroidRuntime(16301):        at com.mobileapptracker.k.run(Unknown Source)
E/AndroidRuntime(16301):        at android.os.Handler.handleCallback(Handler.java:733)
E/AndroidRuntime(16301):        at android.os.Handler.dispatchMessage(Handler.java:95)
E/AndroidRuntime(16301):        at android.os.Looper.loop(Looper.java:136)
E/AndroidRuntime(16301):        at android.app.ActivityThread.main(ActivityThread.java:5017)
E/AndroidRuntime(16301):        at java.lang.reflect.Method.invokeNative(NativeMethod)
E/AndroidRuntime(16301):        at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:515)
E/AndroidRuntime(16301):        at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit$MethodAndArgsCaller.run(ZygoteInit.java:779)
E/AndroidRuntime(16301):        at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit.main(ZygoteInit.java:595)
E/AndroidRuntime(16301):        at dalvik.system.NativeStart.main(Native Method)
W/ActivityManager(  770):   Force finishing activity com.spotify.mobile.android.ui/.activity.MainActivity

Oh, I see -  I need to disable asserts!  (adb shell setprop debug.assert 0)

Now it works again! 😃

Have spotyfi got a number I can phone for help please

My tablet has the same problem. Spotify used to work just fine but a couple of months back it stopped. As soon as you open the app it shows a quick flash of the login page then crashes. We have several other tablets and phones in the family and they all work fine. Is there a solution to this available?

=== START OF TEMPLATE ===

Description
Please describe the problem
Example:
Whe I try to start spotify it brings up the login page for about 1 second and then stops. Screen returns to previous app.

What are the steps you took to get to the error/issue?
1) I downloaded
2) I installed
3) I started the app

What I expected to happen
I expect the app to start.

Did you restart your device when troubleshooting in section B?
Yes

Did you read the connection troubleshooting tips?
Yes

Your device
SoftwinerEvb

Device’s Operating System

What type of account do you have?
Free

(FYI for the below points: Android devices tend to refer to the internal memory as "SD Card" and the SD card you inserted yourself as "External SD Card")
Space left on your device

Space left on your SD card (if applicable)
700mb

Space left on your External SD card (if applicable)
N/A

Is your device rooted?
If you don’t know what this means you can probably answer “No” (And skip the next question)
NO

Are you using a custom ROM, if so which one, exactly?
If you don’t know what this means you can probably answer “No”
No
Did you set your external SD card as storage location?
No

Did you manually install an older version before installing the latest version from the Play Store?
No

Do you have the same issue when switching between WiFi/Mobile Data (If applicable)?
Yes

If you said "No", when does the issue not occur?
When using WiFi, 2G, 3G, 4G

My mobile Spotify version

My desktop Spotify version (if applicable)
n/a

My mobile provider and country
Tablet not on phone network

My username

Do you have a Spotify (non-Facebook) login?

Facebook

Are you logging in with Facebook or with your Spotify login details?
Facebook login / Spotify login
As above
Do you have any screenshots you can attach to more clearly explain your issue?
If so, please paste them here
No
=== END OF TEMPLATE ===

Same problem for me too ...

Nothing on my phone has changed for this to stop working. 

=== START OF TEMPLATE ===

Description

Application will not open/work

IF I manage to get to a login and click to do so with Facebook, it just sits 'logging in' for a very long time. Then I will get an error message saying Spotify has stopped working. 

What are the steps you took to get to the error/issue?

1. Downloaded Spotify from play store

2. Installed & opened app

3. Waited to login but keeps shutting down

What I expected to happen

To log in & access my music

Did you restart your device when troubleshooting in section B

Yes

Did you read the connection troubleshooting tips?

Yes

Your device

Samsung Galaxy S5

Device’s Operating System

Not sure where to find this info

What type of account do you have?

Premium

(FYI for the below points: Android devices tend to refer to the internal memory as "SD Card" and the SD card you inserted yourself as "External SD Card")

Space left on your device

8.4GB

Space left on your SD card (if applicable)

... GB

Space left on your External SD card (if applicable)

2.27 GB

Is your device rooted?

If you don’t know what this means you can probably answer “No” (And skip the next question)

Are you using a custom ROM, if so which one, exactly?

If you don’t know what this means you can probably answer “No”

No

Did you set your external SD card as storage location?

No, didn't get the option when downloading from playstore

No

Did you manually install an older version before installing the latest version from the Play Store?

No

Do you have the same issue when switching between WiFi/Mobile Data (If applicable)?

Yes

If you said "No", when does the issue not occur?

When using WiFi, 2G, 3G, 4G

My mobile Spotify version

Unable to check as it does not load 

My desktop Spotify version (if applicable)

My mobile provider and Country

Orange/EE.... UK

My username

Unable to as Spotify won't open

Do you have a Spotify (non-Facebook) login?

No

Are you logging in with Facebook or with your Spotify login details?

Facebook login 

Do you have any screenshots you can attach to more clearly explain your issue?

Yes

If so, please paste them here

Screen shot attached - as soon as I start Spotify,  i get this message on my screen

=== END OF TEMPLATE ===

Screenshot_2014-11-30-00-12-54.png

I have since tried to operate Spotify on other androids and the problem is the same.

Is any solution/advice/support going to be offered? I am a paying not a free customer and i find it off putting that there is no contact information or even support or solution given in the last 24hrs!!

Anyone having issues with crashes on startup; this is normally caused by a previous cache getting locked by the Android system and ths cannot be removed/updated.

You should try following the guide below for a clean install which details where the cache is located and how to remove this manually:

[GUIDE] How to fix common issues for Spotify on Android

Please use the search feature before posting a problem/bug/idea.
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
     Using Spotify Since March 10th 2009
     Twitter: @mechanimal82

Android Troubleshooting:
[COMPLETE GUIDE] How to fix most Android issues
Spotify Android Version History

I've done all that, the folders are not found on my device either. Reinstalled and still have the problem 😕

@saintlvr wrote:
I've done all that, the folders are not found on my device either. Reinstalled and still have the problem 😕

Can you try without the SD card inserted?

Android Troubleshooting:

Yes ... i have done ... still nothing 😞
Marked as solution

@saintlvr wrote:
Yes ... i have done ... still nothing 😞

I recommend you contact Spotify Support using the form here.

You will get an automated reply at first, however if you need to chase them just reply to the email as it does get monitored.

Android Troubleshooting:

Thanks .. i have sent an email

Now a new problem! ... i have removed my SD card and it worked, briefly. Unable to download though as it said there was not enough space on the device (despite having 8 GB free on internal memory). Insert new SD card .... problem arises again!

same exact problem, unacceptable.

Also here, very unhappy. 

Please help me too! Ive tried everything and since today´s update i havent been able to use it.. it crashes immediately after i log in after installing it for the 100 time.

It's happening to me with 4.0.0.800

I've installed it 25+ times in the past week and no luck. It stops immediately after I log in. It shows the screen with "running", I click on DONE and it goes off

Spotify also crashes on my Xiaomi mi4i when I start it.

I have done already following things:

Uninstall the app

clean all Directorys

reinstall the app.

When I reinstall the app it starts and asks for user and password.

After I filled in my userdatas, it crashes.

When I try to start it again it crashes.

It worked until 1 or 2 weeks ago without problems.

I keep having the same problem for the past few weeks, whenever I start a song, spotify just crashes except if I'm on airplane Mode.
I have a Sony Xperia M2 with the latest update of spotify on the app store.

Suggested posts