Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Last client update was november 2011

Solved!

Last client update was november 2011

Hello,

I've asked around (facebook, twitter) and nobody answered me. The Android client is a real piece of **bleep**. 

It's hellishly slow. When someone sends an album or a playlist to my inbox, I can"t access it from my phone (single tracks only). The RAM usage is just ludicrous, so as soon as I open any other app, without playing music, Spotify closes, and since it takes 4 mn to boot and be usable, it's a real pain.

Seriously people, I know iPhones are the main trend, but android users are numerous enough to spend a few thousand bucks on a client update, dontcha think?

I give you 20€ every month (two accounts, one for me, one for my wife) and I expect a certain quality of service. Every day I pester against your android client, and I seriously think about closing both of my accounts.

At the very least, please give me an estimated time of update.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hell yes !! i completely agree with my friend !!! but the question is : Will Spotify do something about that request before 2013 ?

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

Trying Grooveshark myself! Looks great so far 🙂

Marked as solution

The worst thing about it is spotify support's answer: "check our blog regularly"... What a scam.

Anyone knows if spotify employees actually read this forum?

Marked as solution

David, if you can't explain how or why it works then I don't think you should be proposing it as a solution. It just makes it look like you are stalling for time because you actually have no idea what the real problem is.

The IT and the technology industry is built around science and logic, not blind faith.

Marked as solution

Spotify and Vogons! Love it FLuffle!

Marked as solution

Also, I'd like to add something to my laundry list of complaints on the last page (because it surely must seem slightly incongruos that my first post on the Spotify community forums is a criticism of a service I have already cancelled):

I want to like Spotify. I want to use Spotify. I want to pay for Spotify. The service (library, desktop app, ability to play mp3s, social integration, internal apps) is the best out there, bar-none. The Android app, however, is so bad that it negates all of it, and the silence from Spotify on the issue just drives it down further.

Infrequent, vague forum posts are laughably insufficient when you have a customer base of tech-savvy twentysomethings at your disposal. We want a regularly updated dev blog, we want work-in-progress UI mockups, we want to be invited to participate in alpha and beta phases so we can help you troubleshoot what's broken and perfect what isn't perfect. That may sound like asking for a lot, but the reality is that we get that all the time from app developers... many of whom don't ever so much as ask for a cent of our money to use their apps (save for dev donations which I readily make). Why can't we get that from Spotify?

We complain because it's frustrating to see Spotify - a service which many of us have publicly lauded and sold friends and family on - turn around and give us a big, silent middle finger.

Marked as solution

Completely agree. Can't +1 you enough. It's the general silence and lack of a proper communication plan that just adds annoyance on top of the already poor app.

I asked one of the mods a few weeks ago via email whether there was a beta test group and said I would be willing to join and sign whatever NDA was necessary, but was told no such thing exists. I can't imagine the group of Andoid devs is that large at Spotify ... and therefore can't understand how they can possibly test the app before release to ensure that it's going to work and be stable on as many different phones running as many different versions (both stock and rooted ROMs) as exist - my company has enough trouble testing our own software and we dictate the hardware our customers use.

----------------
Listening on Windows, Android and Sonos. Tweeting it at @davelicence

Marked as solution

"We complain because it's frustrating to see Spotify - a service which many of us have publicly lauded and sold friends and family on - turn around and give us a big, silent middle finger." ... up the arse, gravel included - and please pardon my french.

187 Replies

24h later, no replies. This forum is read by spotify people, isn't it?

I feel the same as Calibrae, but for me, i have already downgraded my subscription from premium to unlimited , and removed the app from my phone.

I can no longer use spotify on my phone (HTC desire HD). Too slow, too unstable, totally useless !
Update the client or create an offer for streaming in high quality without this **bleep** for android !
Marked as solution

Hell yes !! i completely agree with my friend !!! but the question is : Will Spotify do something about that request before 2013 ?

It seems like Spotify prefers iOS users, their app now delivers 320 kbps, nothing for Android. It's a pity.

48h, and still nothing from spotify.

I had a reply from the spotify support yesterday :

We don't forget our Android-using Spotifyers... I recommend you keep an eye on our blog, this is where we'll keep you updated: http://www.spotify.com/blog/

I will stop my premium subscription myself now.

The Android client is totally useless on my Asus Transformer and to **bleep** slow on my Galaxy Nexus.

Yeah, of course I will monitor every day a blog with random articles I don't give a effing shaïte about.

I fail to see why Objective-C development should go faster than Android's. Really.

Hey, do you hear? I think grooveshark is calling my wallet...

Marked as solution

Trying Grooveshark myself! Looks great so far 🙂

I'm in the same mood... No big update for a long time, nothing about compatibility with ICS or tablets... I have many force close and bugs since I have many playlists. Just have to look the comments on the application to know that I'n not the only one. Thinking seriously to switch from Spotify to Deezer...

Marked as solution

The worst thing about it is spotify support's answer: "check our blog regularly"... What a scam.

okay, I think the client works okay.  But it could be so much better.  The app should be exactly like the computer version.  You should be able to see Similar Artists, and Radio, and it needs to be organized so much better.

Calibrae wrote:

Yes, we do. Hello.

Sorry to hear that some of you are running into some issues with the Android version of Spotify. There are a couple of things you might want to try. 

* Log out of Spotify, and then change your password. Bizarrely, this might be able to save some issues. Log back in and try again. 

* A clean installation of the Android application, but install it again from a different location. If you installed previously from the Android Marketplace, try installing from m.spotify.com - or visa versa. 

Airhorn Enthusiast

This is what we get all of time.

In otherwords, clear out your phone, do this , do that, because its your fault as the user to fix the problems that Spotify has with their apps..

So, how do I fix the fact that I can't get 320k streaming on my android phone, I clearded the cache, did this, and did that, nope, still no 320k.

you see what I did there.  how about an update?  Rdio gave an update, yes there were a few problems with it, but a few little revisions later, I love it!

@David wrote:

If you installed previously from the Android Marketplace, try installing from m.spotify.com - or visa versa. 

Why? If they're both the same version then how will this help anything?

Sometimes I think that Spotify Support Reps. must have been to the "IT Crowd" school of customer support -

"Have you tried turning it off and on again?"

@SteveBrammer wrote:

Why? If they're both the same version then how will this help anything?

Sometimes I think that Spotify Support Reps. must have been to the "IT Crowd" school of customer support -

"Have you tried turning it off and on again?"

I have seen this troubleshooting tip work in the past - so I tend to rely on tried and tested first, before diving into the unknown.
Personally, I was more of a Darkplace fan. 
eatonjb - The Android application does not have 320kbps streaming / syncing at the moment. 

Airhorn Enthusiast
Marked as solution

David, if you can't explain how or why it works then I don't think you should be proposing it as a solution. It just makes it look like you are stalling for time because you actually have no idea what the real problem is.

The IT and the technology industry is built around science and logic, not blind faith.

Suggested posts