Mobile Android volume button controls Spotify Connect instead of phone's media volume

Highlighted

Mobile Android volume button controls Spotify Connect instead of phone's media volume

Visitor

Plan

Premium

Device

Huawei, Samsung, OnePlus

Operating System

Android 10

Spotify version 8.5.74.834

Harman Kardon Towers with Google Assistent and Spotify

My Question or Issue

Normally the volume buttons on my Android phone control the media volume of videos/media that I play on my phone. Lately, however, the volume buttons control Spotify volume when music is playing via the Google Assistant HK Speakers (increasing/decreasing the HK speakers, not my phone). You can see in the screenshot how there's a casting symbol for volume control. I know it is the Spotify app and not Google Home or Chromecast, because when I go offline on Spotify the music keeps on playing on the Google Home HK Speakers, but i can't control the volume via my phone anymore. 

So, how do I set the volume buttons on my phone to control the media from my phone instead of the volume from the Google Home HK Speakers?

photo_2020-09-08_12-13-02.jpg
8 Replies
Highlighted

Re: Mobile Android volume button controls Spotify Connect instead of phone's media volume

Hey there @Boekk,

Thanks for reaching out about this here in the Community!

Apologies for the delayed response, we just came across this thread.

Just to clarify - when you say go offline on Spotify, do you mean closing the app on your phone or switching into Offline Mode? Keep in mind that Spotify Connect doesn't work in Offline Mode or when you turn on flight mode, since both devices must be connected to the same WiFi, which might explain why you're not able to control the volume of your speakers. 

If, however, you're listening to Spotify on your speaker while playing a different audio source on your phone, there should be a drop down list that will allow you to switch between the different audio sources.

Hope you'll find this info useful. Let us know how it goes! We’ll be right here if you still need help 🙂

XeniaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
"Where words fail, music speaks." - Hans Christian Andersen
Highlighted

Re: Mobile Android volume button controls Spotify Connect instead of phone's media volume

Found a solution yet?
Highlighted

Casual Listener

The drop down does not let you choose which volume levels will be controlled by the physical buttons.

Highlighted

Hey folks,

Thanks for reaching out to us 🙂

This is an expected behavior because the volume buttons prioritize the app that is running. If you want to change the volume while playing a song, you can open the app and then turn the volume up or down.

Hope this helps. If you have more questions, we are here for you.

VerModerator
"Difficult roads often lead to beautiful destinations." ―Zig Ziglar
Highlighted

Casual Listener
I'm having this issue when spotify is running in the background and I am
using another app, youtube for example.
Highlighted

Hey @ItCameFromGOOR,

Thanks for getting back to us.

Just to double check-If you open another app, can you still regulate the volume of Spotify? If that's the case, we'd suggest you restart your device and then log out and log back in again. If the issue persists, you can give these steps a go and run a clean reinstall. That way you can make sure the cache is not causing any issues.

If you still experience this issue, you can try on another device. 

Keep us in the loop! If you have questions, you know where to find us.

VerModerator
Highlighted

Casual Listener
Yes that is basically what is happening but sometimes the problem seems to
fix itself
Highlighted

Hey @ItCameFromGOOR,

Thanks for keeping us posted 🙂

This could be a device-related issue. It's a good idea to restart the device and then to log out and log back in again. That way any changes can sync up. You can also check these steps and run a clean reinstall. Is there any change?

If the issue persists, you can try logging in to your account on another account. By doing that we can check if this is indeed a device-related issue.

Let us know how it goes. We'll be right here if you have any questions.

VerModerator
SUGGESTED POSTS