Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Offline quality syncing / changing

Solved!

Offline quality syncing / changing

I have a few hundred songs saved for offline use that were downloaded in the "normal" quality setting, and since have changed my settings to the "extreme" quality. Will spotify automatically redownload each saved for offline song in the higher quality (quality sync)? OR, do I have to delete everything and have it re-download my songs. I haven't seen any download action since I changed the setting, so if the latter is the case, what is the best way to go about deleting the old and downloading the new higher quality?

I've seen this asked before but there was no solid answer given...

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

But why can't you replace the files with higher quality ones without
deleting them first this way I don't lose all my music?

View solution in original post

8 Replies

Really curious about this as well

Does anybody know the answer to this?

If they don't automatically upgrade, is there a simple way to force a re-sync?

@mtrifiro wrote:

Does anybody know the answer to this?

If they don't automatically upgrade, is there a simple way to force a re-sync?

Delete cache, change quality setting then download the playlist again 

Please use the search feature before posting a problem/bug/idea.
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
     Using Spotify Since March 10th 2009
     Twitter: @mechanimal82

Android Troubleshooting:
[COMPLETE GUIDE] How to fix most Android issues
Spotify Android Version History

so theres no way to do it with out deleting all my songs and re downloading them, thats crazy, theres got to be another way, anyone?

If you can come up with a way to increase the bitrate of a music file without having to replace it, you'll make a fortune.

Marked as solution

But why can't you replace the files with higher quality ones without
deleting them first this way I don't lose all my music?

Spotfy doesn't care to answer they just want the money.

I know this post is pretty old but for those that stumble upon it in the future....

1. I just want to point out a trick for re-downloading ALL your music with basically zero effort.  If you go to "Your Library" > "Playlists" > "Liked Songs" and then slide the download toggle over, it will download everything (Albums, Playlists, etc.) that you've saved to your library.   Note: It's a little confusing that if you then navigate to an album, the download toggle is slide left, indicating that you haven't downloaded that album, but the little green down arrow will show that all songs in this album are, in fact, downloaded

This method does make the assumption that you want to download everything that you've "liked".  Personally, I got sick of clicking thru a million albums/playlists every time I got a new phone or did a system reboot, so I decided that I would only like songs that I wanted to download and it works great for me.

2. I understand people's desire for spotify dumping and re-downloading all their music when they change quality settings automatically, BUT I actually prefer it the way it is.  This allows you to download different music with different quality.  If you're short on space, there may be some types of music/bands that you want hi-fi and other stuff (e.g. podcasts) that you don't mind being low-fi.  The way it is, I can change download quality to extreme and download 3 or 4 albums and then change it back to download other things.

Suggested posts