Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[PLEASE READ] Android 5.x Lollipop - Distorted playback, sound levels fluctuating or pauses etc...

Solved!

[PLEASE READ] Android 5.x Lollipop - Distorted playback, sound levels fluctuating or pauses etc...

If you are experiencing issues with sound quality, volume, distortion etc and you are running Android 5.x Lollipop please try disabling 'Nuplayer' from the developer settings. This is an experimental player Google introduced to Android and is known to cause some issues.

To disable open up the settings app from your app drawer. Scroll to the bottom and tap 'About'. Find the 'Build number' detail (possibly in 'Software information - More) and then tap on the build number 7 times until it flashes "You are now a developer".

Now go back to the settings screen and above where you tapped 'About' you should now see 'Developer Options'.

Tap this and scroll down until you see 'nuplayer', if it is checked uncheck it, go back to your homescreen and restart your devce. Hopefully the issues you had should be gone.

Please use the search feature before posting a problem/bug/idea.
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
     Using Spotify Since March 10th 2009
     Twitter: @mechanimal82

Android Troubleshooting:
[COMPLETE GUIDE] How to fix most Android issues
Spotify Android Version History
55 Replies

On Samsung Galaxy S4 with Android 5.0.1 same problem with sometimes distorted songs (like on helium). With all respect, I think Spotify has to adapt their app to the recent versions of Android and not the other way round.

Tried disabling Nuplayer - rebooted, cranked up Spotify, sound is still going crazy (loud, soft, flat, bass boosted). This is on a Samsung S6 running 5.0.2. Normal music on the device is playing fine, just Spotify acting up.

Exact same here, GS6 5.02 on T Mobile USA, only solution seems to be downgrading...

Well, I did just that. Removed the thing. Downloaded version 2.6.0.813, shifted over & installed. First thing - went in a wiped the cashe. Then restarted, downloaded one playlist and so far (KNOCK ON SOME WOOD!) it seems to behaving. Now.... to tell it to NOT update until they have this issue sorted out.

ok - strike that. I worked for the first few songs, then is started doing strange sound fluctuations again. I'll see if an older version might help, although I think it may be an issue w/ Android version (had no issue on a S3 running 4.4 about a month ago).

Hi,

I was directed to this forum to solve my volume issue. I tried turning NuPlayer off, but it was never on to begin with. There is a noticably lower volume level on Spotify than the Samsung media player, i verified this by playing the exact same song on both. How do I solve this issue? The volume level is irritatingly low on all of the music I like to enjoy.

Thanks for any help

I am having the same problem with Motorola Moto E (Second Generation)

Volume is extremely low. 😞

Tried everything but doesnt help.

Yeap, it seems to be something bwt Android Lollipop & Spotify. I'm gonna swipe le hubs's S5 and see if it's acting up on his. It was still running 4.4 last time I checked. Hum.... wonder if my older tablet still has it installed. Hopefully it will be fixed soon as my premium account is alittle worthless unless I can use my phone to stream to the car or bose system 😞

There is still no update from spotify!

I am using Motorola E (Second Gen.) Lollipop 5

I barely hear sound on my headphones. 

If spotify doesnt support us, lets we support each:

http://www.apkmirror.com/apk/spotify-ltd/spotify/spotify-2-5-0-942-android-apk-download/

This version helped me to get my sound back!

Glad downgrading to that version helped you, that was the last version (2.5.0.942) I tried & my Spotify is still screwed up, almost to the point I've given up playing it via my phone.

Did you disable the google nuPlayer on developer tools? I did it and rebooted and then removed all settings of Spotify and installed older version.

Maybe you should go more earlier versions 😞

Yeap, very first thing I tried. Disabled nuplayer (already had devloper tools opened) - uninstalled, rebooted, reinstalled, rebooted. Played fine for 2 songs, then on the 3rd, it went back to the screwed up sounding. Unistalled, rebooted, downgraded 1 version - same thing. Removed and went down to 2.5.0.942 and it STILL did the same thing. I had my hubs try on his S5 - and it sorta worked, after I downgraded Spotify to the last version. His S5is not running Lollipop. I am gonna to try installing on my Tab S (which is running Lollipop) and see if it work. As of now, my Spotify sounds so bad, I won't listen to it on my phone. At this rate, I'm not continuing my Premium account until it's fixed, be it an update from Google (which I've read is coming soon) or an Update from Spotify. Sorry, not paying money for a product I can't use.

I tried to download this version of spotify but my phone keeps saying the download failed. Suggestions? Should I uninstall my current version first?

I have LG G3 trying to connect via bluetooth to Pioneer FH-X700BT car stereo. After a minute or so the music from Spotify or any other source (google music, etc.) becomes choppy.

I've tried the suggestion on this thread of disabling Nuplayer, but this problem persists.

My spotify player is already up to date to version 2.8.0.1081.

Does anyone here have a similar problem or solution? Thank you.

@dip83 wrote:

I have LG G3 trying to connect via bluetooth to Pioneer FH-X700BT car stereo. After a minute or so the music from Spotify or any other source (google music, etc.) becomes choppy.

I've tried the suggestion on this thread of disabling Nuplayer, but this problem persists.

My spotify player is already up to date to version 2.8.0.1081.

Does anyone here have a similar problem or solution? Thank you.

Please read the guide linked below for details on the most common issues and how to fix them. Usually a clean install is the first step to take and resolves most of the usual issues; the guide details the steps to take to ensure a full 'clean installation' is achieved - This includes checking redundant folders and a REBOOT!

Please use the search feature before posting a problem/bug/idea.
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
     Using Spotify Since March 10th 2009
     Twitter: @mechanimal82

Android Troubleshooting:
Spotify Android Version History

2.8 installed here and it's still happening whether Nuplayer is on or off.
Volume change seems to be happening if I use the EQ, if I delete app data and never switch the EQ on it's better.
Galaxy S6 T-Mobile

S6 Edge - VZ - 5.0.2 Android version.

NuPlayer was already disabled and I am still having Spotify + Equalizer issues. Same symptoms where the music volume changes along with the bass levels. I've restarted, cleared software and system cache, but the issue persists.

I'm going to try it with NuPlayer active and I will post results.

So far, what I've tried has normalized my sound.

Tmobile Galaxy S6, 5.0.2 android

Turned off NuPlayer
Installed 2.8.xxx from FRESH (removed, rebooted, cleaned, reboot, download apk, reinstalled and final last reboot)
Turned off Soundalive +

This basically turned off all equalizer & rendered the sound at a "flat" level.

Sound hasn't fluctuated since then. If I try to use any equalizer the strange crap comes back.

2.9 seems to have fixed it for me...

Suggested posts