Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Release Notes - Spotify for Android 0.5.12.52

Release Notes - Spotify for Android 0.5.12.52

What's new in this version:

- New: When you first install the app, Spotify will store your data in the most efficient location on your phone/device.
- New: From within settings, you can clear all temporary data and downloaded tracks stored on your device.
- Fixed: Spotify would occasionally get stuck in Offline mode
- Fixed: The app will no longer crash due to a lack of memory.
- Fixed: Radio won’t crash when loading artists.

Please note: if you were using the Spotify app already and you want to change the location where your playlists are stored, you need to exit the Spotify app, go into your device's Settings, Apps, Spotify, then tap Clear data and Clear cache.

Note: If you're having trouble with an update, please always make sure to go through the [Android] Troubleshooting Spotify steps before posting.

Community Ergo Sum
83 Replies

Nice!

But why doesn't it say all that on Google Play?

EDIT: Apologies, there must have been some propagation problem. The release notes are on Google Play now, but definitely weren't when I updated about 30 minutes ago. It's probably Google's fault on this occasion 🙂

It does show for me, in the What's New tab. What region Play Store are you looking at?

Community Ergo Sum

Does this mean that we can choose tracks to be downloaded to the SD card or does the application pick for itself?

Hi!

The app picks on its own, based on the amount of free space on your writeable devices. Hope that helps. 🙂

As in it will store to the external storage card if that has more available storage?

@alan_wolf wrote:

As in it will store to the external storage card if that has more available storage?

Exactly.

Community Ergo Sum

Not quite. I just updated, and all my downloaded playlists disappeared, so had to do it all over again -NOT nice-  and the app did not pick the ext SD card with WAY more space but the internal storage with almost nothing left, result: can't really download half of the playlists I want too... What is wrong with letting the users chose where to store their files...  Honestly...

I assume I will need to clear my existing data and re-login for this "detection" process to happen?  I installed the update and launched it, and was presented with my current downloaded playlists saved to internal phone memory.

I certainly hope the update finally fixes the ridiculous inability to save to external SD.  I'm looking forward to trying this later today.  

Omg.... I had the sd card storage activated using the trick with installing older version, now I tried new, cleared cache (from its options) and it's still broken hard. It detected my internal sd-card as better one. Now I have to use the trick with old version once again:/

Please test updates on more than one device before pushing them to public.

On sgs3 there is internal memory under /storage/sdcard0 or /sdcard, and external microsd card mounted as /storage/extSdCard , but is it really THAT hard to give the user option to select the path where he wants to store downloaded files? App files and settings could and should be in the internal memory by default, but downloaded music MUST be in a place the user wants

@Garreth wrote:

Omg.... I had the sd card storage activated using the trick with installing older version, now I tried new, cleared cache (from its options) and it's still broken hard. It detected my internal sd-card as better one. Now I have to use the trick with old version once again:/

Please test updates on more than one device before pushing them to public.

On sgs3 there is internal memory under /storage/sdcard0 or /sdcard, and external microsd card mounted as /storage/extSdCard , but is it really THAT hard to give the user option to select the path where he wants to store downloaded files? App files and settings could and should be in the internal memory by default, but downloaded music MUST be in a place the user wants

Hm. We have tested it on S3 devices. Can you please check the amount of free storage on your external sd-card vs your internal and post here? Also, is your old custom cache still left?

@atexit - Just want to say thanks for the support you're giving here.

Finally an Android dev has stuck their head over the parapet and is interacting with the end users.

We have been waiting for this kind of support for a long time. There is only so much that the support people who work here in the community can do when problems get very platform specific like this.

Please don't be a stranger.

Hey there folks and thanks for your question 🙂

Do not worry. I can help you with this issue.

First you need to delete Spotify app and after that install it again and then Spotify will select MicroSD card as memory.

Greetings,
Jyri

Thanks for the response:)

I've now cleared cache from system application manager and reinstalled the app, and now the cache is properly stored in extSdCard. Like if the in-app button which clears the cache left some residuals which affected storage detection. Also in spotify_preferences.xml the path is now correctly pointing to extSdCard. Strange, but I'm glad that this is working now:) Anyway reconsider option to change storage place, it would be perfect then and it would suit all users.

Indeed, clearing app data from system settings then relaunching the app appears to have placed data on the SD card.  Thanks for finally getting this fixed.  It was long overdue, but a preferable fix would still be allowing users to choose the location via an "advanced settings" mode or something similar.

Awesome news!

Guess it's finally time that I look for a 32 gb mirco SD! 😉

Cleared memory, and everything is now going to the SD card. Feels like Christmas - Thanks Spotify!!!

Yehey... Opened releas notes, really excited, is there landscape mode?
No.
Bummer.

No christmas today.
But sd card support is okay.

This is rubbish. Now instead of no option we get a free space lottery. Thanks Spotify, after a year the problem isn't solved. Why don't you listen to the complaints and put a bloody option in the menu for people who aren't dribbling out the side of their mouths when they breathe ?!

@weltysparrow wrote:
This is rubbish. Now instead of no option we get a free space lottery. Thanks Spotify, after a year the problem isn't solved. Why don't you listen to the complaints and put a bloody option in the menu for people who aren't dribbling out the side of their mouths when they breathe ?!

^^ This.

Not knowing where Spotify is going to choose dump several gigabytes of data is even worse than having it in an undesirable but predictable location. Now you're going to start screwing up people's photos and video captures by overfilling the wrong location without giving them any option to prevent it.

You're putting out an Android app designed for the iPhone crowd. Get it together.

If the app is capable of automatically choosing between different data locations, it's perfectly capable of taking a custom path too.

Even if you want to leave the idiot-proof autodetection as default, add an option for users to select a custom path. Even if you bury that option beneath sub-sub-sub-menus, with confirmation dialogs and secret multi-taps (a la system Dev Options in JellyBean), so that only non-mouthbreathers can find it.

But taking control even further out of the hands of the user, to the point where you're consuming storage space entirely at random without even informing them of what's happening, is entirely unacceptable design.

Suggested posts