Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

FAQs

Please see below the most popular frequently asked questions.

Loading article...

Loading faqs...

Ongoing Issues

Please see below the current ongoing issues which are under investigation.

Loading issue...

Loading ongoing issues...

Spotify Play not working after some time

Solved!

Spotify Play not working after some time

Plan

Premium

Country

Switzerland

Device

OnePlus 8 Pro

Operating System

Android 11

When I don't use Spotify for some time, I can only play a song if I open the app. Even if the app is still opened in the task manager. Also I disabled all battery optimization for the Spotify app and ensured it will not be closed by the task manager. 

This is very disappointing as it was never an issue with Deezer and now I have to consider switching back as my mobile phone is my main device for music. 

So what I need (and works perfectly fine with Deezer and other apps) is, that I can press play on my headphones or any other devices and Spotify will continue playing where I paused or stopped last time. It works when I just pause for some minutes. But if I pause and do something else for some hours, it does not work anymore. I have no idea how long the period exactly is. As said the app is still valid in cache and if I open it from the task manager, there is also no load time (while there is if the app got killed by task manager or something). 

Also I tried to delete the caches and fully restart the app. After that did not work, I even uninstalled and reinstalled the app. Still same issue. 

How can it be that such a simple and important feature is not working on Spotify while I have no issues with other services and platforms?

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey @ReeCube,

Thanks for trying and keeping us posted.

This seems indeed related to the OS as we could replicate on our end. You can try checking with other Android device to confirm.

We can pass this on to the right folks. However, we can't commit to a timeframe for when or if this will change, as this isn't completely dependent on Spotify.

If you need a hand with anything else, the Community is here for you.

Cheers.

CarlosEModerator

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

View solution in original post

8 Replies

Hi @ReeCube,

Thank you for sharing your post on the Community.

There are some settings and troubleshooting steps we can check to get this sorted out.

To start, please go to your phone's settings and make sure that:

• Any Battery Optimization settings are toggled off for Spotify.
  • Background App Refresh is toggled on.
  • Background data settings are toggled on.

If the issue persists after this, it's worth running a clean reinstall of the app, as this one is more thorough than a regular one and can be helpful to get rid of any cache that might be causing trouble. 

Let us know how this goes.

MafeGModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I did all of these steps. And because it did not work, I repeated them. Still no success. As said the settings are the same for Deezer and I never had such issues with Deezer.

Hey @ReeCube,

Thanks for the reply.

If you are connected via Bluetooth to your headphones, go on the device you're connected to and select 'Forget Device', reconnect it, restart Spotify and click play.

Let us know if the issue persists after that.

AlexModerator

I did so. Without any success. Same problem, even across different bluetooth devices.

Sometimes the play button is not even working after only some minutes (maybe 5 or something). The solution is simple with opening the app again and manually pressing play. Anyway it just sucks. Especially because I never had such issues with Deezer. Also according to the loading time after opening Spotify from cache, I'm sure the instance is not removed. So the app is running and draining battery, but I'm not able to use the play button of any device or of the phone itself...

Hi @ReeCube,

Thank you for keeping in touch. 

Since this is happening with different Bluetooth devices, can you log in with another account, such as a friend's or a family member's to see if the issue persists? Alternatively, you can create a free account here, just make sure you're logged out of your own account before creating a new one.  

It's also worth accessing your account with a different phone to check if it has the same behavior. This will help us narrow it down.

Keep us posted.

MafeGModerator

I logged in with my friends account and there is the same issue. On the same time my friend used my account on his iPhone and had no issues. So I guess it really is the OS and not the account.

Marked as solution

Hey @ReeCube,

Thanks for trying and keeping us posted.

This seems indeed related to the OS as we could replicate on our end. You can try checking with other Android device to confirm.

We can pass this on to the right folks. However, we can't commit to a timeframe for when or if this will change, as this isn't completely dependent on Spotify.

If you need a hand with anything else, the Community is here for you.

Cheers.

CarlosEModerator

If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

Thank you @CarlosE

Suggested posts