Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify app keeps crashing

Spotify app keeps crashing

I have a Samsung j3 Luna pro with Android 7.0, not a really high powered phone but I've never had severe issues when using spotify. I just recently got premium again and had about 1500-1800 songs downloaded from my main playlist. Spotify worked just fine for the 1st week and then all of a sudden the next day I couldn't open spotify past a dark grey screen before the app would crash, my phone would ask me to either send feedback or restart, but even after restarting the app would crash again and my phone would prompt me to close the app or send feedback. At one point during the day while trying to clear things on my phone and do normal device maintenance to clear the memory in hopes it would help keep spotify from crashing, my phone have me a notification that spotify was slowing down my phone performance after having it crash once again. I then went ahead and uninstalled and reinstalled spotify hoping that would help and didn't download my songs to see if the amount of songs I had was too much for my phone, but it's never been an issue before, it did for a couple hours before I went to bed but when I woke up this morning and opened spotify and tried to play music specifically from my song list the app would crash again. Since I had previously been using the app last night I still had a song paused on the app and was able to play that one, but any attempt to hit shuffle play or a specific song from my list would crash the app.

9 Replies

Hey there @xAbyssalRemnant,

Thanks for reaching out to the Community and welcome. We're happy to help!

We understand that you already tried reinstalling the app, but can you make sure to follow the specific steps in this guide to run a clean reinstall? This is more thorough than a regular one and can be helpful to get rid of any cached files that might be causing trouble.

Also, make sure that there aren't any battery optimization or cache clearing apps running for Spotify.

Keep us posted on how it goes. We'll be on the lookout.

CarlosEModerator

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

Thank you for the response and assistance, I did the clean reinstall though it is still crashing when I try to select a song yo play from my playlist as well as shuffle play. In also not sure where I would go to check if there are any cache clearing or optimization things for spotify. 

Hey @xAbyssalRemnant,

Thanks for trying and keeping in touch.

You can look for those options within your phone's settings under Apps and/or Battery.

Can you let us know how much storage space you have available in your phone? Also, if you're using an SD card, try removing it and reinstalling the app without it to see if that makes any difference.

We'd also like to know if this only happens when trying to play your Liked Songs playlist or any other playlist or content.

Lastly, let us know the exact Spotify version you're running.

We'll keep an eye out for your reply.

CarlosEModerator

I've looked and the only settings I have set up for my phone under Battery, which I have had the settings for quite a while and have no changed them, is Mid Saving Power and App Power Monitor, which simply lets me know what apps that were recently used or are "awake" in the background are using battery and then under Apps I don't have anything that would be specifically for cache clearing as far as I'm aware.

For my Phones Storage it is at 12.9gb/16gb.

I do have an sd card in my phone, but I do not use it as I haven't been able to figure out how to move Apps onto it.

The playlist I have the majority of my music on is a playlist I created simply called Music. I went into Billie Eilishs artist listing and played one of the songs there with no issue, was also able to shuffle play the music. It does seem to be happening only to my main Music Playlist which has about 1500 to 1800 songs on it, my smaller playlists that I haven't really listened to that have maybe 100 or fewer songs aren't have any issues.

My spotify app says it is Version 8.6.10.581

Hi again @xAbyssalRemnant,

Thanks for your reply and for the extra info.

Just to confirm, did you try removing the SD card and reinstalling the app without it? Was there any difference?

If the issue persists, could you try on a different device and let us know if the same happens there? This would help us narrow down the possible cause of the issue.

Keep us in the loop.

CarlosEModerator

Oh I did not try to remove it, did not think that because I wasn't using it it wouldn't have any affect.

I reinstalled the app after removing the sd card and it was only working for a couple minutes before it crashed again.

The only other device i have spotify on is my Laptop, I don't have another phone to test the app out on unfortunately. 

I appreciate all your help and assistance.

Hey @xAbyssalRemnant,

Thanks for the reply.

One more thing you can try is using the Spotify Light app. It was designed specially for older and lower-class phones.

Let us know if this runs on your device.

Cheers.

AlexModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Unfortunately it states on the playstore listing for spotify lite that it is not available in my country, I am located in the United States. 

Hey @xAbyssalRemnant,

Thanks for bearing with us.

We're afraid that the Spotify Lite app isn't available in your market. The next thing you can try is to divide the playlist that is causing this issue into smaller playlists, as large playlists can have an impact on the app's performance.

We recommend doing that on the desktop app in your computer as it's faster and easier. You can create a new playlist, then go to your large playlist and select multiple songs by either tapping Ctrl + A (it stacks 100 songs at a time), or selecting a song, scrolling down, and selecting another song while pressing the Shift key (it will select all the songs between the first and the last one you selected), then drag the selected songs to the new playlist.

Keep us posted on how it goes. We'll be here in case you have any questions.

CarlosEModerator

Suggested posts