Plan
Premium

Country
Australia

Device
Samsung Galaxy S20

Operating System
Android 11

Either after an app update, or seemingly randomly, Spotify reverts the storage for downloaded music back to internal storage from the SD Card.

I have had the music stored on the SD Card before, so it isn't a permission issue. I can also transfer the music back to the SD Card, but that can be a 50/50 chance on finishing without an error.

The issue is not that the music can't be stored on the SD card is that something is happening that causes it to move back to the internal storage. I'm not 100% sure, but quite sure, it is downloading all the music again each time after an update.

I have tried uninstalling and rebooting the phone to make sure it is a clean install, but this hasn't helped.

ink.png
Screenshot_20210917-102342_Spotify.png
6 Replies

Novy

Hey there @MohawkTimmy

Thanks for reaching out here in the Community, and welcome 🙂

We'd first recommend checking your SD card to make sure that it's formatted as External Storage, otherwise Spotify won't be able to differentiate between the card and the phone's internal storage, which might cause this to occur.

If this doesn't do the trick, could you let us know the exact Spotify version you're currently running? 

We'll be on the lookout for your reply.

NovyModerator

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
"Music touches us emotionally, where words alone can't." -Henry Thoreau

MohawkTimmy
Casual Listener

Hi,

The SD Card is formatted, and works fine. Other apps are using it, and Spotify can see it. It can also move the music back to the SD Card after an update.

The app version that is currently installed (noting it seems to happen when Spotify gets updated) is: 8.6.64.1081

Thanks

MohawkTimmy
Casual Listener

It happened again today. It seems to be when the Samsung phone gets a software update. After a reboot Spotify starts downloading all my offline playlists again.

Today the phone received an update for the September Android Security updates. 

Opening the app, Spotify had moved back to the internal storage.

Screenshot_20210926-153739_Spotify.png
Screenshot_20210926-155740_Settings.png
Screenshot_20210926-155747_Settings.png

Ver

Hey @MohawkTimmy,

Thanks for getting back to us 🙂

Could you try removing the SD card, reinstall Spotify and then try running the app without the SD to see if that makes a difference?

If possible, it's also a good idea to try with another SD card to see if that changes anything.

Let us know how it goes.

VerModerator
"Difficult roads often lead to beautiful destinations." ―Zig Ziglar

MohawkTimmy
Casual Listener

I cancel the downloads by flicking the offline switch, and then reselect the SD Card as storage location. It can then complete the migration of whatever was downloaded. Going back "online" it when then download to the SD Card.

It is not an issue with the SD Card.

It is a combination of an app issue and a phone issue where after an update to the phone software the app seems to forget that offline music is stored in the SD Card and goes to download the music again to the internal storage.

Ver

Hey @MohawkTimmy,

Thanks for keeping us posted.

In this case it sounds like with the software update, the SD card is remounting and the storage pathing is getting automatically virtualized.

This can lead to the app getting moved to the internal storage by default.

VerModerator
"Difficult roads often lead to beautiful destinations." ―Zig Ziglar
SUGGESTED POSTS