Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Trouble with the latest release? Let us know.

Trouble with the latest release? Let us know.

Something not working with the Spotify app after a new release? Please give us your feedback!

There are two parts to identifying, solving and forwarding issues.

1. Please follow the below troubleshooting steps to see if you can resolve the issue on your own
  2. If troubleshooting doesn't solve your issue, please use the template below to give us your feedback.

Troubleshooting steps

1. Open Settings and start Application Manager
  2. Look for Spotify and tap it
  3. (FYI, this will remove all downloaded Spotify data from your phone)
    Press "Clear Data"
  4. Uninstall the Spotify app
  5. IMPORTANT: Completely turn off your phone, then turn it back on again
  6. Open up Google's Play Store, locate Spotify and install it again
  7. Start Spotify, log in and have a look if your issue was resolved
    If the issue remains:
  8. Use the search function (top right) to see if anyone has recently reported anything similar to your issue.
  9. If you find that your issue has already been reported, please go to that topic and reply that you are experiencing it as well.
  10. If you did not find a similar topic, continue to step 11
  11. There's a template below; please copy/paste that into a new reply in this thread and add as much info as possible.

=== START OF TEMPLATE ===

Description

Replace this with a short (max two lines) description of the issue you're experiencing.

A more detailed description, using numbered steps

1. First I did this

2. Then I did that

3. I also did this

Did you restart your phone at step 5?

Y/N

What I expected to happen

This is what I expected to happen

What actually happened

This is what happened instead.

My phone

Eg. Galaxy Nexus, ICS 4.04, etc.

My provider and country

Eg. AT&T, US; or Telia, Sweden

My username

To find this, click on your name at the top right of the site (next to where it says "Log out") then click Overview and copy/paste the number.

NB: Attach screenshots if possible.

=== END OF TEMPLATE ===

Community Ergo Sum
153 Replies

Description Spotify stops playing and responding after 1.5 songs/5 minutes. I've not timed it, but that's approximate. I have to press the X in the top left corner and restart the song/playlist. A more detailed description, using numbered steps 1. Start playlist/song in the middle of playlist 2. Shower/shave/walk/read/whatever for five minutes 3. Music stops 4. Activate phone 5. Exit black screen with X at top left corner 6. Goto 1. Some times it works the second time, some times it takes more than one go-round. Did you restart your phone at step 5? Y What I expected to happen Music keeps playing! What actually happened Music stops My phone Galaxy S2 w/ICS My provider and country Telenor, NO My username tofagerl Note: I have tried reinstalling the software, rebooting the phone and stuff. No help.

Description

The new app randomly stops playing music. This happens regardless of whether the music is local or streamed, whether the app is in offline mode, whether I'm on Wifi or 4G (Cell data) and of quality. The playlist clears and has to be reloaded manually. 

1. I factory reset my phone and erased the microSD card 

2. I stopped notifications on the phone (during explicit testing for 30m)

3. I forced the phone to stay awake (during explicit testing for 30m)

Play music using playlist or otherwise in a consistent manner

What actually happened

Music has a chance to stop at random for absolutely no apparent reason, the playlist goes blank shortly thereafter and I have to manually queue the list back up again.

My phone:

Mytouch 4G Slide with Android 2.3.4; Acer Iconia A500 with Android 4.0.3

My provider and country:

T-Mobile, US

Description

Playback stops Partially through songs, sometimes the first song will play but then the second will stop. The little notification in the notification bar (spotify logo with Play icon) dissapears and then reappears.

1. Clear app data and cache through Settings>Application Manager

2. Uninstalled and Reinstalled and Restarted. Problem Persits

3. Repeated Steps 1 & 2. and Deleted entire Spotify folder from Phone's memory after uninstalling. Then continued with reinstall and restart.

Probelm Persits.

Y

Continuous playback of my playlists

What actually happened

Playbacks stops either in the first song or the second.

My phone

Motorolla Droid RAZR 

My provider and country

Verizon Wireless

My username

subsynth

Description

Didn't sync any of my songs, played a song but kept stopping and playing, uninstalled spotify off phone and cant find it on my marketplace app.

1. played a song and it kept stop playing.

2. unistall spotify couldnt find it on the android marketplace anymore.

3.posted on android thread seeing if anyone has same problem.

Yes

spotify wil appear on marketplace

What actually happened

just other things similar to spotify appeared.

My phone

htc g1.

My provider and country

UK t-mobile.

My username

naomisianstratford 

There are no official responses to any of these posts? 

This is insane, why am I paying a monthly fee for an app that doesn't work? Why on earth would you release an app that is universally buggy? None of my friends that updated the app have been able to get it to work properly.

welcome to the spotify android community -- you'll learn, my friend.

Description

- Spotify usually plays one song (downloaded or streamed) and half way through the next song the music stops, and a few seconds later it sends you back to the main menu.

- Spotify freezes when logging in on occasions

- App regularly crashes

- All the above were NOT issues on the preview version

1. Reset phone to factory default. Cleared the SD card

2. Removed phone battery, waited 30 secs. Restart phone

3. Install spotify from marketplace

4. Log in (sometimes freezes)

5. Issues as above

To log in smoothly, and songs to play continuously. No app crashes.

What actually happened

Songs stop playing, as described above

My phone

HTC Desire

My provider and country

T-Mobile England

My username

ric_foster

Spotify randomly stops playing 

When I play a song in the latest Spotify andoid, it will randomly stop playing. It does not seem to just be buffering, since it doesn't start playing again until I manually press pause, then play again (at which point it resumes as normal, but the problem repeats itself every few minutes.) 
my phone is: samsung g2, ICS, (orange)

I'm a Premium subcriber and love listening to Spotify in the car on my Sprint EVO 4G LTE. However, I've been having the problem where the music will play ok for a song or two and then will start stopping/pausing constantly. Like, every two or three seconds there will be a one second or longer pause in the song. Sometimes "waking up" the phone by turning on the screen will start the music playing again. Sometimes not. Sometimes I can get it to work by tapping a new song, sometimes not. It's frustrating enough (and dangerous to have to be constantly distracted by my phone not playing music) that I'm considering canceling my premium service and switching to Pandora.

Description

Music seems to be muted and when downloading a track, it never gets beyond 0% on an 80meg DL fibre optic internet connection (strong wi-fi signal, other downloads work fine).

1. Attempt to play a track
  2. Track is displayed and the time / tracker bar progresses, but no sound comes out
  3. Attempt to download playlist
  4. Download remains at 0%, despite of a strong WiFi signal and an 80mag download speed

NB1:  Have checked and no, the phone is *NOT* muted / sound turned down etc.  Other programs produce sound fine.

NB2:  Have tried a reinstal and it did not resolve the issue.

NB3: Have not recently installed any new apps, but can't rule out an update to another program that might be causing a conflict of some kind.

I would think this would be self-explanatory

What actually happened

See above

My phone

Samsung Galaxy Nexus

My provider and country

O2, UK

My username

Starblaiz

I'm seeing similar behavior with playback randomly stopping. This did not happen with the preview version. 

My phone:

Galaxy Nexus (GSM) with (stock) Android 4.0.4

It has been mentioned before, but as this is a major bug, I'll post it again:

Description

Playback always stops during the first song of the play queue. Only solution is to go back and start playback of the song again. 

1. I start playback of a song (online/offline, playlist/no playlist - doesn't matter)

2. During the song playback will suddenly be cut off, the notification in the notification bar dissapears and then reappearsPressing the play button has no effect. The now playing screen turns black and the album art disappears. It still shows the song in the notification bar, but pressing it just gives me the black now playing screen again.

3. Only solution is to start playback of the song again (from the beginning). Then it usually works until I play a song from another playlist.

Yes

Normal playback without interruption

What actually happened

What I described above happens every time I start a song. It is really annoying - I guess I'll have to cancel my subscription again, until this gets fixed. Didn't have this problem with the preview version.

My phone

HTC Desire 2.3.7 and HP Touchpad 4.0.4

My provider and country

O2 Germany

My username

Same as my community user name here.

Description

Playlist shows as gownloading but sits at 0% complete.

1. Followed troubleshooting above

2. plenty of memory available

3. tried downloading again after following trouble shooting advice. Still no change. Songs are greyed out and unavailable.

4. nothing available

5. no downloaded playlists showing

6. started downloads again - didn't actually start downloading

7. closed app

8. uninstalled, powered off phone and tried again but still just shows greyed out list.

Playlists to download would be nice. I use this application solely after discovering it.Having to use pandora when I am laying out by the pool or just everday things like driving in my car would be nice. It used to play before the upgrade (granted it continually crashed)

What actually happened

shows it is downloading but stays at 0%...

My phone:

HTC Thunderbolt

My provider and country:

Verizon 4G, United States

My username: Maria Howard

Having to use Pandora instead of Spotify while doing everday things is frustrating**

Description

I can no longer shuffle all the songs in my library.

1. Since the recent update to the app, I can no longer choose "Library" from among my playlists.

Y

I expected library to remain listed before my playlists.

What actually happened

"Library" was removed.

My phone

HTC One S

My provider and country

T-Mo, USA

My username
sqth 

Having two issues.

1\ It will never hold downloaded playlists. download then exit app go back in later and they have dissapeared WTF?? Happens constantly.

2\ Stutters on playback, randomly but enough to be a right pain.

I have been using Spotify mobile for 3 years as a subscriber and this has to be the least stable version. No good looking good if it aint gonna work. I'm going to look for alternatives as there has to be a better alternative than paying for a non working service.

Description

Replace this with a short (max two lines) description of the issue you're experiencing.

Archos 80 G9, using Spotify version 0.5.1.15.g81977995. Nothing I stream goes into cache but "USB storage data" instead and stays there until I uninstall Spotify. 1 minute of listening = 1 MB more space with no option to clear the data.

1. I noticed Spotify was taking 150 MB from my hdd, so I realized that everything I listen somehow "stays" in my hdd.

2. Then I purged everything but couldn´t purge that "USB storage data" for Spotify. So I uninstalled Spotify and the problem was gone. After a new install it started to happen again.

3. I also did a "Reset media storage" which deleted all my music/ videos and photos. This also cleared Spotify´s "USB storage data" but now it started to fill up again as I was using Spotify.

Yes.

Everything I stream would go into the cache and delete itself at some point or I could clear the cache by myself.

What actually happened

Nothing still goes to cache but "USB storage data" instead and stays there until forever.

My phone

Tablet: Archos 80 G9

My provider and country

Saunalahti, Finland.

My username

sikapuu88

Description

Music stops playing after a couple of tracks online or offline

1. Any type of song playing will suddendly stop playing. Even in offline mode.

2. When Spotify stops playing, the icon will briefly disappear, then return. (crashes and reloads?)

3. once returned, the playback is either in pause mode showing xx minutes of the whole song, OR then the song window is empty, the length of the track is 0:01 and it is in pause mode

4. Reinstalled, wiped the data.

5. still happens...

Y

To play normally

What actually happened

Often if not always it stops playing. Sometimes unplugged from charger it may play for half-an-hour, but if you search for songs it will ALWAYS stop playing sooner or later.

My phone

Samsung Galaxy note, ICS

My provider and country

Elisa, Finland

My username

Wibin

Description

Spotify consumes 99% of battery after disconnect from charger without being used. A separate or interconnected problem to the problem mentioned above, ie. music stops playing. Only happens sometimes. Spotify widget in use.

1. spotify malfunctions

2. drains battery

3. reinstall/wipe

4. still doesn't work

Y

To not waste my battery

What actually happened

Drains battery without it even playing

My phone