Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

How can I disable automatic app updates (macOS desktop version)?

Solved!

How can I disable automatic app updates (macOS desktop version)?

Plan: Premium

Device: MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2017)

Operating System: macOS 10.12.6 (16G29)

My MAIN Question or Issue:

How can I PERMANENTLY DISABLE automatic app updates so that it NEVER automatically updates again (unless I want it to, and manually re-enable automatic updating)?

Further details (just the most recent problems, although there are others I've since given up trying to resolve):

Spotify updated, and now none of the local files I have in any of my playlists will play anymore! 😞 I've double-checked, and the folder locations for all my music files are still listed in the preferences. But somehow, the "local files" preference was toggled OFF! I have NEVER set it to off, so I don't know how this could've happened. But my guess is it was a recent app update that messed it up.

In addition to this problem, the app never recalls what I was listening to or any recent play history when I launch it, especially if it was something played on another one of my devices.

And yet another problem: instead of my downloaded playlists showing the green icon indicating they are in fact downloaded, they all now show a gray downward arrow in a circle icon, and the first listed downloaded playlist is stuck showing the spinning circle forever. When I go offline, the songs appear to still play. So the files are apparently still there. But for whatever reason, the app seems to think none of the playlists are downloaded, and looks like it is stuck trying to download the first one.

Classic case of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

I seriously wish the app hadn't auto-updated. It was working fine until recently (for the most part, aside from a few minor issues I've learned to live with). I'll be seriously annoyed if I need to reinstall and re-download everything again. My internet connection sucks, and gets throttled once I exceed a certain amount of data. I've gone through this hassle more times than I can keep track of now.

And I really hope there is a quick/easy way to get all the local files in my playlists working properly again. If not, I might finally just cancel my membership and go find a better streaming music service that doesn't break stuff every now and then when its app is updated.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hi! Late reply, but thought this might help you, and anyone else. What I did to stop the auto-update, was this:

1. In the Application folder, right-click on the Spotify app and choose 'Get Info'

2. in the 'Get info' window, make sure you check 'Locked', right at the top. 

Now whenever I close and re-open Spotify, it tells me it needs my permission to install the available update. I just hit 'cancel' and Spotify opens (in the background) without updating. 

(I found a previous version of before the 'big' update, which I re-installed, because I could not get used to this new version. I can't remember what route I took to get that, but it was either through the community here, or I think Reddit?)

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Hey @EarHax,

Thanks for posting here 🙂

Currently there is no option to disable the automatic updates.

We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback with us. We'll make sure to pass it on to the right team.

You can also check this idea and add your +Vote to it as it seems similar to your suggestion.

Regarding the local files- it's a good idea to give the steps mentioned here a go to check if anything changes.

We'd suggest you also try these steps and run a clean reinstall as this one is more thorough than the usual one. Does that make a difference? 

Keep us posted.

Ver Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!
Marked as solution

Hi! Late reply, but thought this might help you, and anyone else. What I did to stop the auto-update, was this:

1. In the Application folder, right-click on the Spotify app and choose 'Get Info'

2. in the 'Get info' window, make sure you check 'Locked', right at the top. 

Now whenever I close and re-open Spotify, it tells me it needs my permission to install the available update. I just hit 'cancel' and Spotify opens (in the background) without updating. 

(I found a previous version of before the 'big' update, which I re-installed, because I could not get used to this new version. I can't remember what route I took to get that, but it was either through the community here, or I think Reddit?)

Just launched the app and had it try to install an update. Clicked cancel, and I'm still running the old version, Fix: verified! Thanks again!

absolutely wonderful that spotify will now force us to update in order to continue to listen. 👏👌 /sarcasm

I LOVE YOU, I have been having soo much trouble with this because I hate how the new Spotify looks and wanted the old one but it just kept updating every time I closed it. THANK YOU SO MUCH

Suggested posts