Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Cannot report offensive Spotify In Solidarity content

Solved!

Cannot report offensive Spotify In Solidarity content

Plan

Premium (now free, since I cancelled my premium account over Spotify pushing politics)

Country

South Africa

Device

PC, Windows Desktop Client

Operating System

(iOS 10, Android Oreo, Windows 10,etc.)

My Question or Issue

Usually, users may report offensive content with the Report option accessible via the right click menu or hamburger button. However, for curated content from Spotify, users find this Report button disabled.

Some users do not want to have political content on their feeds, so this is a technical flaw that needs to be addressed. I must be able to report Spotify's content in order to remove it from my feed. In particular, I would like to remove any political content from my feed, especially divisive content like Black Lives Matter playlists.

I am a foreigner with 0 interest in American rioting and certainly do not wish to show solidarity with anyone who confuses looting and rioting with the right to free assembly. Spotify does not carry a mandate to  'show solidarity' on my behalf, or to determine which cause deserves my 'solidarity'. Kindly fix your platform so that I may report your misguided and offensive curated content and remove it from my sight.

Update: I have cancelled my premium subscription for the time being. If Spotify fixes its platform to allow me to opt out of political content from my feed, then I will reconsider and go premium again. Enough of this woke nonsense. Not in my name and certainly not with my money.

26 Replies

// The support went on to further claim that the political propaganda will be removed // tomorrow (Wednesday, June 3rd, 2020) from my feed.

The support lied, it is now Thursday, June 4th, 2020 and the political content is STILL in my feed, an can not be removed.

Before I removed the Spotify app, the political nonsense was removed so that's why I flagged the private session as a solution. Unfortunately, I cannot help you other than to suggest this again. Visit this topic:
Customize Start Screen 

Steps I've taken so far and recommend:

1. Cancel your Premium subscription, citing the BLM In Solidarity claptrap as the reason
  2. Vote for the Customize Start Screen idea
  3. Comment on the Customize Start Screen thread, the comments are way at the bottom
  4. Post the message below on social media:

Hi @Spotify, as far as I know, I PAY for my premium subscription each month to listen to the music of my choosing. Please don't shove your political agenda down my throat. #myspotifymychoice #backoffwithpolitics

I totally agree and I am an American.  Many have also voiced their unhappiness at various social media blogs and at Facebook groups.  In fact, I am seriously considering closing my Spotify Premium account and joining another music provider such as Pandora or Amazon.

Here is what I sent to Spotify's Facebook, the Spotify Community, and Spotify Cares on Facebook:

"I am a long time Spotify Premium member.  I am very unhappy about the the recent intrusion of politics and into Spotify.  I joined Spotify for the music and only the music NOT to be in "solidarity" with any one social cause or group.  If this policy continues you will leave me no option but to cancel my Spotify account and join another music provider.  I also know that I am not alone in feeling this way as similar complaints have been posted on social media.  Stick to music Spotify.  It's what you do best.  You have already alienated a sizable percentage of your members."

I totally agree and I am an American. Many have also voiced their unhappiness at various social media blogs and at Facebook groups. In fact, I am seriously considering closing my Spotify Premium account and joining another music provider such as Pandora or Amazon.

Here is what I sent to Spotify's Facebook, the Spotify Community, and Spotify Cares on Facebook:

"I am a long time Spotify Premium member. I am very unhappy about the the recent intrusion of politics and into Spotify. I joined Spotify for the music and only the music NOT to be in "solidarity" with any one social cause or group. If this policy continues you will leave me no option but to cancel my Spotify account and join another music provider. I also know that I am not alone in feeling this way as similar complaints have been posted on social media. Stick to music Spotify. It's what you do best. You have already alienated a sizable percentage of your members."

Not a bad idea! By the way, I think the most realistic solution is to allow users to customise their start screens. This idea currently has nearly 400 votes. It needs at least 500 votes before Spotify will take a serious look at it. Consider voting for the idea and rather giving them a piece of mind there, they don't care about the forums:

Customize Start Screen 

Steps I've taken so far and recommend:

1. Vote for the Customize Start Screen idea
  2. Comment on the Customize Start Screen idea, making it abundantly clear that you want the option to remove undesirable content such as political and other material you deem offensive or inappropriate from your start screen. The UI on that thread is different, you need to scroll way down to find the comment section
  3. Cancel your Premium subscription, citing the BLM In Solidarity claptrap as the reason
  4. Push the message below on social media (Twitter and the rest) to create awareness that this is a dismal failure on Spotify's part. We will not tolerate Spotify pushing political opinions on our behalf, or down our throats. Just the tunes, thank you.

Hi @Spotify, as far as I know, I PAY for my premium subscription each month to listen to the music of my choosing. Please don't shove your political agenda down my throat. #myspotifymychoice #backoffwithpolitics

By the way if you would like to move your Spotify playlists to a different vendor, it appears as if you can export your playlists to csv files, and then import them into your vendor of choice after that. 

Likewise I pay Spotify premium subscription to stream music. I was horrified to see political podcasts being promoted on my Home Screen! I’ve already played my part to defund the BBC, I’ll be helping defund Spotify too if this continues!

Suggested posts