Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Cannot report offensive Spotify In Solidarity content

Solved!

Cannot report offensive Spotify In Solidarity content

Plan

Premium (now free, since I cancelled my premium account over Spotify pushing politics)

Country

South Africa

Device

PC, Windows Desktop Client

Operating System

(iOS 10, Android Oreo, Windows 10,etc.)

My Question or Issue

Usually, users may report offensive content with the Report option accessible via the right click menu or hamburger button. However, for curated content from Spotify, users find this Report button disabled.

Some users do not want to have political content on their feeds, so this is a technical flaw that needs to be addressed. I must be able to report Spotify's content in order to remove it from my feed. In particular, I would like to remove any political content from my feed, especially divisive content like Black Lives Matter playlists.

I am a foreigner with 0 interest in American rioting and certainly do not wish to show solidarity with anyone who confuses looting and rioting with the right to free assembly. Spotify does not carry a mandate to  'show solidarity' on my behalf, or to determine which cause deserves my 'solidarity'. Kindly fix your platform so that I may report your misguided and offensive curated content and remove it from my sight.

Update: I have cancelled my premium subscription for the time being. If Spotify fixes its platform to allow me to opt out of political content from my feed, then I will reconsider and go premium again. Enough of this woke nonsense. Not in my name and certainly not with my money.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Seems like one can avoid the woke nonsense by switching to a Private Session, in both the web client and the Windows application. Regardless, something fishy happened as all the woke nonsense miraculously disappeared. I'm waiting for a statement of some sort from Spotify before switching on my Premium account again, but for now this matter is resolved

View solution in original post

26 Replies

I have the same issue on the Linux desktop client. The application is being abused to push a political agenda, which is extremely inappropriate for a music streaming service to do.

I have no opinion about this movement, and I want to have no opinion about this movement. I simply do not want the Spotify desktop client to push any politics, especially because I pay for your service. It is fine for individual employees at Spotify to have political views, but Spotify as a company should abstain from it entirely.

Do one thing and do it well. Be a music streaming service.

Same here.

This issue is present on the web interface too. Same story: Report button is disabled for In Solidarity content.

I am experiencing the same issue on Windows and iOS. I have no option for reporting this offensive political propaganda on either platform.

I reported this issue directly to the Spotify support and was told that they do not provide any way to disable this political agenda of theirs, as I initially confused this for advertisement, which I found odd as a paying customer.

The support went on to further claim that the political propaganda will be removed tomorrow (Wednesday, June 3rd, 2020) from my feed. I cannot begin to express my disapointment in this matter and I hope that Spotify as a company has learned of this PR failture of theirs that trying to propagate political agendas upon their users. I can only fear that when I log on some time later in June that the icon or something will be changed to the pride colors for another PR miscarriage.

I just had to join this damn community because of this same reason, to be able to say I am not the least bit interested in the BLM movement. Why am I getting this **bleep** on my front page of Spotify???? I am a paying customer for chrissakes..

Exactly.  I do not need Spotify deciding that supporting a violent, divisive organization is something that I want to do.  Please remove this offensive content from my Home page.

I also want this disabled. While I'm upset with what's happening in the country, my music is my way out of this world along with it's issues. Create a separate playlist for this and let those that don't want to see this stuff disable it. We pay $120 a year for streaming, and I expect my music service to be indifferent with politics and events.

Spotify, you overstepped your competence, significantly.

I do not give a flying duck about the whole non-sense and this is a deliberate choice, so keep your music streaming platform (and this is what you are; not less, not more) CLEAR of such political stuff. It has NO place and if you really found it to be that important, provide a way to opt-out to such stuff.

A feature I cannot turn off, is in fact a bug!

This is extremely offensive to me, an angry fist in the air with a group that has been taken over by Antifa anarchists.   These people are going too far......I will find another music source if they don't correct this ASAP

First they force racist proganda on it's paying customers, with no option to opt out, then they have the audacity to prevent us from reporting obviously offense lyrics. Imagine the uproar if a KKK Playlist was forced on users and they blocked reporting of offensive content. Both BLM AND KKK are equally offensive and terrorist organizations. Behold the epitome of double standards. Bye, bye Spotify!! 

Same here remove Black lives matter from my Spotify account home screen I do not want this content shoved in my face

Honestly I only created this account so I could agree with folks. If I wanted to listen to that **bleep** I'd go and specifically look for it. I just want my jams and podcasts to be on top, not all this political garbage.

Exactly, as you say: A 'feature' that the user cannot turn off is in fact a bug and it's a technical issue that needs to be fixed. 

100% agree. I also cancelled my sub in protest over this “bug”

Please remove this BLM content from my Spotify home screen it’s offensive. 

ive cancelled my subscription pending Spotify remove it or allow me the ability to turn it off.

And we're back! Thank you to the mod who obviously saw reason.

A fellow user, EmmaMagik came up with a great initiative. Get this trending on Twitter and other platforms if you would be so kind:

Hi @Spotify, as far as I know, I PAY for my premium subscription each month to listen to the music of my choosing. Please don't shove your political agenda down my throat. #myspotifymychoice #backoffwithpolitics

The forums may not enjoy the attention from Spotify developers that we think they do, so perhaps if we want Spotify to step up their game and stop pushing politics, we can add a vote and a comment on this topic instead:

Customize Start Screen 

Steps I've taken so far and recommend:

1. Cancel your Premium subscription, citing the BLM In Solidarity claptrap as the reason
  2. Tweet and push on social media the message in the previous post (also found below) so they get the idea that we will not stand for a musical streaming service getting hijacked for political means
  3. Add your comments to the Customize Start Screen idea
  4. Remember to also vote for that idea, making it explicitly clear that you want the option to remove undesirable content such as political messages and propaganda from your start screen

Hi @Spotify, as far as I know, I PAY for my premium subscription each month to listen to the music of my choosing. Please don't shove your political agenda down my throat. #myspotifymychoice #backoffwithpolitics

Marked as solution

Seems like one can avoid the woke nonsense by switching to a Private Session, in both the web client and the Windows application. Regardless, something fishy happened as all the woke nonsense miraculously disappeared. I'm waiting for a statement of some sort from Spotify before switching on my Premium account again, but for now this matter is resolved

Going to private session does not work for me.

Suggested posts