Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Changing output device breaks playback functionality

Changing output device breaks playback functionality

On Windows 10, when changing the audio output for Spotify to something other than the windows default device audio playback completely stops working in the desktop app.

This seems like an important capability for an application centered around listening to music. I hope this bug is fixed quickly.

7 Replies

Hey there @Afras,

Thanks for posting in the Community and welcome.

In this case, we'd like to gather some additional info to better understand what's exactly happening on your side. Would you mind sharing with us the exact Spotify version you're running on your computer? 

On another note, would you mind sending us more details about the audio output device you're trying to set such as the make/model? Is this happening when trying to use other apps when said device is set as the audio output?

Lastly, and just to confirm, has the app always been behaving like this or does it start to happen after a specific event such as an OS update? Please send us the details about it.

Keep us in the loop!

AlejaRModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

Hello,

My Spotify version is:

Spotify for Windows (64 bit)
    1.2.16.947.gcfbaa410

The issue does not seem hardware specific, but instead occurs when I try to set the audio output for Spotify to an output that is not also the windows default output. 

My windows default output is set to a virtual output from the application "Voicemeeter Banana" which passes the audio through to my Fiio "E10K Olympus 2" DAC. If I set Spotify to output directly to the DAC, spotify is unable to play any song (downloaded or streaming). Although when the DAC is set to the windows default output, spotify has no issues using it as its output device. The same issue also occurs if the windows default output is the DAC and I try setting Spotify to output through voicemeeter. 

The issue occurs regardless of what other applications are running and seems to be caused solely by spotify having an output which is not the windows default output. Also I have tried this with other applications to narrow down where the issue lies and this problem only occurs with Spotify, other applications continue to work as expected when the audio output device is changed.

I had not attempted to change the output device for spotify until I ran into this issue so can not be certain if it was caused or not by something such as an OS update, although have not made any software configurations recently.

Thanks

Hey @Afras,

Thanks for your reply and for the info shared.

Unfortunately, we couldn't replicate this issue on our end and we haven't received similar reports along those lines. This behavior seems to be isolated to both your computer and your specific set-up, so we'd recommend keeping both your computer and the app up-to-date. 

We really appreciate the time you took to let us know about this and your comments on the matter. 

We'll be here if anything else comes up.

AlejaRModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

I'm having the same issues when changing Spotify's output to a virtual mic. Spotify immediately states "Spotify can't play this right now." Using Windows 11.

*Note

Issues only begin upon opening of virtual microphone application, "VoiceMeeter".

Hey there @grey59

Thanks for getting in touch about this and welcome to the Community! 

We're afraid Spotify no longer supports apps like VoiceMeeter. 

We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback with us and will make sure to pass it onto the right team, as we always strive to improve your experience.

Hope this clears things up. If you need a hand with anything else, the Community is here for you.

EniModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Thank you for the response although I don't quite understand what you are trying to say. VoiceMeter is not a program that needs to be supported, and will work with any program. Spotify however is the outlier which seems to purposefully? or for whatever reason not work with it while other media and numerous types of applications do.

If this is not an issue that will be directly addressed, I hope it is indirectly fixed somehow.

Suggested posts