Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Disable loudness normalization

Solved!

Disable loudness normalization

In the latest update this feature was removed and i'm asking why? 

I almost immediately noticed the difference.

Because now what the loudness compressing is doing, it makes EDM tracks more muddier (lower treble), more loose (lower bass) making them bland overall and also they're playing now in lower volume. I listened an mp3 file of the same song, and it was a lot brighter and tighter in comparison.

So please give back the abilty to remove volume normalization!

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Can you mention which version of Spotify you are running and which operating system? I still have the option to disable it in my Spotify.

Just to confirm, the option "Set the same volume level for all tracks" is not available under "Playback"  in preferences?

You may be able to do it externally by going to C:/Users/{PC username}/AppData/Roaming/Spotify/Users/{Spotify username} and add "audio.normalize_v2=false" to the prefs file.

What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

I have the version number 1.0.1.988.g8f17a348.

I just noticed when I reinstalled Windows and downloaded Spotify, it came as the older version v0.9 something, that there was a way to disable the "Set same level" from the settings and yes, it sounded just as good as it sounded before this 1.0 update. It's wasn't compressed and bland.

But as soon as the newest version arrived, the volume normalization setting disappeared from the settings due to the UI revamp.

Well, I'm gonna test that pref thingy. My operating system is Windows 8.1.

Solution below!!

Well actually now when I disabled that setting before this new update installed, it actually stayed off, even the setting is not visible in this new UI anymore. I noticed that when I went to check the pref file, it already being as false, then I went and listened some tracks and noticed that it actually is off now.

So yeah if anybody else needs help with this, reinstall spotify and take that setting off before updating, or change that setting from the pref file doing as adisib said!

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Marked as solution

Can you mention which version of Spotify you are running and which operating system? I still have the option to disable it in my Spotify.

Just to confirm, the option "Set the same volume level for all tracks" is not available under "Playback"  in preferences?

You may be able to do it externally by going to C:/Users/{PC username}/AppData/Roaming/Spotify/Users/{Spotify username} and add "audio.normalize_v2=false" to the prefs file.

What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?
Marked as solution

I have the version number 1.0.1.988.g8f17a348.

I just noticed when I reinstalled Windows and downloaded Spotify, it came as the older version v0.9 something, that there was a way to disable the "Set same level" from the settings and yes, it sounded just as good as it sounded before this 1.0 update. It's wasn't compressed and bland.

But as soon as the newest version arrived, the volume normalization setting disappeared from the settings due to the UI revamp.

Well, I'm gonna test that pref thingy. My operating system is Windows 8.1.

Solution below!!

Well actually now when I disabled that setting before this new update installed, it actually stayed off, even the setting is not visible in this new UI anymore. I noticed that when I went to check the pref file, it already being as false, then I went and listened some tracks and noticed that it actually is off now.

So yeah if anybody else needs help with this, reinstall spotify and take that setting off before updating, or change that setting from the pref file doing as adisib said!

How do you adjust this setting for OSX?

I don't have much experience with OS X, only little experimenting with hackintosh (pc os x) but when I did some browsing I found this path: ~/Library/Application Support/Spotify, you should look up if that contains the pref file mentioned earlier, open it with some kind of text editor and change or add that line from adisib's post. Or you could try to uninstall and reinstall if it gives you the older version, then switch the setting off and update after that, but I'm not sure if this works on OS X.

Is there any possibilty to disable loudness normalization/ compression on android devices by editing a configuration file or anything like that ?

Suggested posts