Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Local Files gone from the sidebar

Local Files gone from the sidebar

Premium Spotify v1.1.1.348.g9064793a, Windows 10.

title. Why?

before anyone asks, 'songs' doesn't list all of my files (it lists ~30 out of the 3000 I have oh I'm sorry, it actually doesn't list any local files, only the songs that I actually use from Spotify's library), i cannot search my local files via 'albums' and 'artists'.

the only way to see search my local files is through the top searchbar.

again, why?

edit: they've hidden local files insides the settings, you now have enable it before you can see it in the sidebar, which seems completely unnecessary and a waste of dev time. maybe add back your UI features you used to have before making the experience even worse with every update.

Capture.PNG
12 Replies

Spotify (god knows for what purpose), have decided to make displaying local files on the sidebar a setting in preferences, which is now off by default. If you go to your preferences and scroll down far enough you should find a setting to turn it back on

Jup, spotify is not doing well past 2 years... They have changed too much, it's annoying!

Mine still doesn't show after turning it on!

Hey there @SvartaStjarnan

Thanks for reaching out about this. 

Would you mind letting us know if you've already tried performing a clean reinstall of the app? This is often an overlooked step, but it can be helpful to get rid of any cache that might be causing issues. 

If this doesn't do the trick, could you send over your device's make, model, OS version and the Spotify version you're currently running?

Keep us posted.

NovyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Thank you! A plain reinstall worked and now I feel like a chump, haha. It took a long time to find this thread, though, since most issues that show up on search are related to files missing among local files rather than the sidebar itself. My issue occurred on the latest version of Spotify and upon reinstall it has reverted to the previous layout. It kept the (stupid) addition of initially hiding the local files, indicating that it is not an older update, so I don't know why it changed look.

Hey there @DarthUno,

Thank you for your reply and confirmation.

We're really glad to hear that everything works as it should for you again 🙂

If anything comes up we're always one reply away. We're happy to help.

Have a great Friday and a wonderful start of your weekend.

Cheers!

JeremyModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Hello!

I reinstaled the app on my PC, running Windows 10 OS.
I got back the Local Files sidebar, even added some songs, but then I shut down the app, and when I turned it on again, sidebar was missing again, and the app was different (like updated) again.

Hi there @chakrastudio

Thanks for reaching out about this.

Just to make sure, have you tried reinstalling the app following these specific steps?

If a clean reinstall didn't help, next thing you can try is cleaning up the hosts file on your PC. Follow the steps described here on how you can do that.

Keep us posted on how it goes 🙂

EniModerator

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Hi!
Yes, I did checked for the hosts and did the clean uninstall, checked if there is any left old folders of Spotify, and did the registry check with Ccleaner. Installed a new Spotify app from the Microsoft store.
Still no Local Files sidebar 😞

Hi @chakrastudio,

Thanks for keeping in touch.

In the new desktop update, you can find your Local files in Your Library next to your Liked Songs.

Let us know how it goes. If you have any questions, we'll be right here.

Cheers.

CarlosEModerator

Totally gone now. Man, so annoying.. What's the policy with bugs like this?

If stakeholders don't earn money by fixing it, remove it?

What's next? I bet "nobody uses the local songs anymore, so we remove it". 

Many songs slip away from spotify from time to time.

I'd like to have a solid collection of favourite classics as a backup. Also I have some of my own songs I'd like to listen on my phone.

Hi there @RobinS1234,

Thanks for your post on this thread.

As I mentioned above, your Local files haven't been removed. You can find them in Your Library next to your Liked Songs playlist.

If you need anything else, the Community is here for you.

Cheers 🙂

CarlosEModerator

Suggested posts