Step 1

NEXT STEP

Make selection in playlists work properly

Make selection in playlists work properly

Premium Germany

Windows PC

My Question or Issue

Selection does not work as user expect it:

- Ctrl+A does not select all songs on longer lists. It probably only marks the part of the playlist that the spotify client has loaded yet.

- Shift does not work as expected. If I select the first of my liked songs, hold shift, scroll down to the end using the scroll bar and click the last song while still holding the shift button it looks like I marked all songs. If I then create a new playlist of all marked songs, the playlist does only have < 1000 songs on it, eventhough my liked songs are several thausands. Using the same process again and again the actual number of really selected songs changes (and is not constant as one would expect). It probably does not load the entire list and depending on how fast I scroll and where I stop for a few milliseconds different parts of the playlist are obtained from the server and the songs which are in theses section of the playlist are selected, other are not.

6 Replies

Hi @JohnnyD4,

Thanks for reaching out about this in the Community!

Spotify constantly strives to improve the user experience with its features and the easiest way to achieve this is by regular app updates. That’s why we appreciate you taking the time to share your suggestion with the Community. 

If you think other users might also like to have the option to batch select more songs, go ahead and create an idea on the relevant idea board. We always take new ideas and feedback into consideration to improve the app. Here you can read more on how ideas work.

We also suggest checking this help article for useful tips on how to submit an idea. As a heads-up, it's good to know that the higher the number of votes an idea gets, the more likely it is for the idea to be implemented.

Hope this helps. Let us know if you have any more questions.

AlexModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Do you always reply to bug reports with a standard "thanks-but-repost-this-as-an-ide"-text? Are bugs in spotify only fixed if enough people vote for the "idea" to fix it? I ask because all my bugs reports seem to end this way.

Hey @JohnnyD4

Thanks for getting back to us. 

Could you let us know the app version you're currently running? 

This will help us take a better look at what's happening. 

Keep us posted!

NovyModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".

1.1.53.608.g7ed9c03a-a

Hi again @JohnnyD4,

Thanks for the reply.

Currently this is how the Desktop app works when you manage larger playlists. 

You won't be able to Ctrl+A select all the songs in a list that has more than a thousand songs. This is also largely depended on your hardware and your network connection. On some systems you might be able to select a larger number of songs, if your system can buffer more at a time.

The same goes for making playlists that contain a large number of songs. 

This is why I suggested you create a new idea if you have ideas on how to improve the experience. You can also share your feedback in the New Desktop Experience feedback thread, where it's directly passed on to the dev team. They're trying to implement exactly what most users want in the updates of the new Desktop app.

Hope this helps.

AlexModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.

Yeah that is basically because you use this nasty electron web app instead of real native applications. Native apps would easily manage 10.000s of songs without such limitations. This and the fact that your "solution" to any bug report is "create an idea for this" is the reason why I canceled premium. As you do not care about the ideas until thausends of other users found the idea and voted for it within one year that is pretty pointless and slow.

Suggested posts