Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

No more Library?

Solved!

No more Library?

I'm not really sure when to post this. My spotify just auto updated to the new look and I noticed there is no Library anymore. This is a bit of a issue since thats what I mainly use to listen to my music because I have a bunch of songs that are not local or starred.

Am I missing it or is it completely removed?

58 Replies

I am very sad that my entire history of added songs has been removed with the removal of 'Library'. 

I usually add several tracks to different playlist every day. Often I would just use the 'Library' feature to play all my recent tracks across playlists in order to listen to all that new music. 

Now, in order to continue doing this I have 2 alternatives, as far as I know:

1. Revert to the old spotify and never again update (this doesn't sit right with me)
  2. Make a master-playlist, which I have to remember to add songs to as well as adding them to their respective playlists. (I get tired just by the thought of it)

Why not just keep the 'Library'-feature as an option? Why remove functionality? This is devolution. I don't get it.

Why oh why.... 😞

I agree why did they remove a feature? Plus, like everyone else I liked to stream local and web only files together all in one. Since technically that would be all of my music that I listen to.

This is horrible!!!  WTF?  Where's my library!!!?

I don't want to listen to playlists, I want to listen to my LIBRARY of all songs!!!!

Yeah, the removal of the library is an instant subscription cancellation.  Even the "inconveniently add all your playlists to master folder then add all songs to Songs" doesn't allow you to shuffle your local files because you can't add them to songs unless they're "verified."

Fantastic job with this one, Spotify.

I just canceled my subscription because of this.  And I really liked Spotify.

@jwylot wrote:

You can still use playlists to do that and putting all your playlists in one playlist folder gives the same functionality as the old library did, if I remember correctly.

But they aren't smart folders, so you have to remember every time to update the master playlist. 

@Merik wrote:

Hey there!

Library has been replaced with Your Music, which is a collection based feature. Check it out here.

So why didn't it collect all of my music that I have now?  Why do I have to go in an munally add them?

I also have used the Library daily so I can listen to all my local files and songs in playlists in a big mix.

'Your Music' cannot replace that, please reintroduce the Library! 

@shannon17 wrote:

Hey MORON.....The library hasn't been replaced, it's been DELETED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Calm down.  Its there but inaccessable at the moment.  Everything is still there, you haven't lost anything.

@Astriela wrote:

Click on this link and it wil go back to the original spotify

Download the official full installer from this link.  http://download.spotify.com/Spotify%20Installer.exe 

The link now points to the new version.  FYI.

Sadly I have to agree.

The current "Your Music" stuff may be slightly OKish on mobile devices, but so are playlists.

At home, where I listen to Music most of the time (Many hours every day) the Library function was absolutely essential.

I have tens of thousands of songs in my library, both offline and online, and yes, i DO listen to ALL of them in a big shuffle, i've been listening this way for years and i liked that Spotify enabled me to simply add streaming media to it.

Now that function is essentially destroyed and replaced by some "Your Music" nonsense...

I had "MY Music" in check, for YEARS, that is  no longer the case.

If this does not get fixed (because this loss of functionality is clearly a bug, this simply cannot be a conscious decision...) within the next weeks i will unsubscribe and go back to building my library with offline files...

I totally agree with everything said here.

A library that can bundle your local music with your online Spotify collection made this the ULTIMATE media player. Thankfully, I had a 'master' playlist already to make all my music available for offline. However, I don't get why I have to manually re-add these 5k songs to what is obviously the 'improved' version of the library. I mean, how hard can it be to automatically add the old library to the new songs when you do an update like this?

Also, while you're busy fixing this screw-up, I'd appreciate it if you would let me finally get rid of that empty right column that serves no function if you disable your social media/never turned it on in the first place.

Last but not least, after dragging everything from my master playlist over to songs, which is supposedly linked to artists/albums, I apparantly have 9 artists that produced over 5k tracks together. Seems legit.

Edit: oh, and what's up with not having an 'add to your music' option in the right-click menu? I don't always need to listen to a number before deciding to add it to my collection ('cause I already heard it elsewhere).

ChrisHis wrote:

Last but not least, after dragging everything from my master playlist over to songs, which is supposedly linked to artists/albums, I apparently have 9 artists that produced over 5k tracks together. Seems legit.

If you try to drag more than 542 tracks at once, it will not generate artists or albums and it will also not save across restarts.  Drag them in batches.  Known bug.

I miss the Library as well, but after spending some time with the "Your Music" I can see how this CAN make things cleaner and easier IF they add the ability to add local files.

After being shocked to find that my Library is gone (after much squinting and neck craning to see the impossible grey type on a black background), I have now read through this thread and I must say, the removal of the Library functionality without a viable replacement is intolerable. 

If they changed the name of the Library to Your Songs, that's OK, but the fact is that Your Songs is EMPTY, and it sounds as if it's impossible to put local files into Your Songs.  

In my mind, the Library was the consolidated listing of all music, and playlists are a subset.  Why wouldn't everyone want a consolidated list?  If such a consolidated listing exists, please point me there.

I'm not ready to cancel my subscription today, but I have gone from being a very satisfied customer to being extremely disssatisfied, and I will be evaluating my alternatives in the coming days.

Hopefully this disaster will be rolled back very shortly.

Here's a link to download the old version for MAC [Removed link]

Mod edit: removed link to download hosted externally. This is against our Community Guidelines and we don't recommend downloading Spotify from anywhere else than our site.

I don't really understand the point of having a music program without a centralized library? I want to listen to my saved music as well as my local files at the same time. Go figure. 

I just got the update (on my mac) and this is really annoying, so now i can't search my library/saved songs for a specific one, i've got 10000 songs to scroll through instead!

Also, only three artists have appeared in my "artists" section despite my attempting to save every song

thank you for your reply but this is not at all the same

from what I see "Your Music" is only file you own (either you have the mp3 on your computer/device or you have purchased them through spotify)

Before library was listing all songs you wanted (at least for premium users) even the one which were just streamed and not part of any playlist, nor part of your starred collection....

is there any way to get the same functionnality now? is it only for premium users? is it entirely no longer possible...

Suggested posts