Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Re-download playlists... Again and again...

Solved!

Re-download playlists... Again and again...

Why you don't fix the problem of re-downloading playlists? The problem occurs all the time in both the application on Windows and on Android. Everything seems to be fine after a clean install, but after each upgrade an application, the problem returns. Do I have every 1-2 weeks to make a clean install and re-download 20-30 GB on my computer and phone?!? This is nonsense! I have a monthly data limit and I can't afford something like that. In version 0.9.0.129 to my surprise there was no problem, but after upgrading to version 0.9.0.133 and then to 0.9.1.43 problem appeared again. More and more I hate this application and your ignorance!

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Hey there folks,

Thanks for posting about this here in the Community!

If you're having troubles with the app re-downloading offline content, we'd first recommend performing a thorough reinstallation of the app on the affected devices with the steps in this Spotify Answer since this helps with commonly seen issues like this.

@1s1s1s1s, we're currently looking into this. If a thorough reinstallation doesn't do the trick for you, we'd suggest adding your +VOTE and relevant info in this Ongoing Issue so you can stay up to speed with any updates we have to pass on.

On another note, as this thread was related to an older issue report, we hope you don't mind us closing it.

If you're still having troubles, the best way to report an issue with the app is by following the steps in this Spotify Answer. We'll be happy to lend a hand 🙂

Hope this info is helpful but don't hesitate to give us a shout if there's anything else!

Have a lovely day 🙂

KaterinaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself! 

View solution in original post

20 Replies

Hey 🙂 

There is an open bug with the android application here for playlists redownloading, it does appear to be a common issue which is a bit of a nightmare! 

As for the desktop application, that is a lot more rare. Do you have a custom (non-default) cache location set in the preferences menu at all? 

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I have set non-default cache location. At this moment I can't change it, because I would have to repartition the hard drive.

I think your recent issue was caused by the cache reset bug in 0.9.0.129, which was patched in v0.9.0.133 although it did cause a reset if you had a non-default cache location set. It should not happen now that you have been pushed to the most recent version. 

Peter

Peter

When I did a clean install of version 0.9.0.133, the problem did not occur (for a while). After the automatic update to the latest version, the problem occurs all the time.

Spotify team does not care that this problem may occur. Until the problem does not affect them personally, they think that their product works great and everyone is happy. I do not pay more!

@grapiotr wrote:

Spotify team does not care that this problem may occur. Until the problem does not affect them personally, they think that their product works great and everyone is happy. I do not pay more!

Strange, I am not having these issues on the latest version. 

Is it redownloading all of your offline playlists when you start Spotify? 

Peter

Peter

No, just one or two playlists/albums. Sometimes a few songs, not all playlists. And not always when I turn on the application, but every few startups.

@grapiotr wrote:

No, just one or two playlists/albums. Sometimes a few songs, not all playlists. And not always when I turn on the application, but every few startups.

Interesting, just tested this on one of my less powerfull computers. It does appear that my client says it is syncing tracks when it first starts up, but only when the hard drive is busy. I think the client is still scanning the offline cache when this is happening so maybe it is not actually downloading anything? 

Another thing to note is that if its just a few tracks every few starts, the Spotify catalogue is constantly changing, with tracks being removed, then relinked to others in the catalogue (and lots more) so track changes when you are online are not all that uncommon. 

Peter

Peter

For sure the problem is something else. After a clean install of version 0.9.1.43 everything was fine for a few weeks. Spotify now automatically updated to version 0.9.1.53. And the problem occurs almost every time I start Spotify. The problem begins to occur after updating the application. The solution is a clean install, but doing it every few weeks and redownload 20-30 GB of music is madness.

Hi there. It is now 2015 and you STILL have this problem. It pisses me off ..., even though happy anyway with life. So here I am on the way on a long haul flight and all my songs gone! Need to re download like 3000 songs. Happens all the time! Get your act together please, Spotify. This error is just too dumb.

Why you don't you fix the problem of re-downloading playlists?

Now I've been at it for over a week thinking it's my Sony Z1 Compact running Android 5.0 and new 64GB SD'card, and every time a day it starts over on my 2000+ downloaded files again and again. I'm going abroad to a country that I know nothing about regarding 4G or coverage (Himalaya feks), but preparing this journey with Spotify is impossible and is turning out to be a painful boring nightmare.

As WIRED also concludes, we still have the same promblem in late 2015 (remember this thread is from 2013!!)  I mean, what use is Spotify to users that like to have more than 100 offline songs? 

So: What is the problem and why can't you fix it?

I also still have this problem on my LG G4 (Android 5.1) / Cache stored on SD card with enough free space. Every couple of days, Spotify re-downloads about 1000 songs, I think mostly out of my "Starred playlist". This is really crappy because this blocks the whole internet bandwith (I do not have much bandwith). Please make it stop!

First of all I must say I HATE YOU SPOTIFY. 

Now, I also have this problem with spotify forcing me to redownload large playlists. As I can see this problem have been around for a long time now but it seems spotify doesn't give a **bleep**. Please tell me why I should pay for a premium subscription when I am not able to use the offline functionallty and I have to streem the music.

Spotify version 4.4.0.1008 for android

Phone Sony Z2

Respectfully 

A dissatisfied customer

BTW Have I told you how much I HATE YOU ? 

Hi everyone, I've had the same issue from iPhone 5 and iPhone 6 , so it's been an ongoing event for over a year . Yesterday I had to do it all again, I know it's frustrating but I found the solution. When I applied the solution , the team at Spotify finally contacted me for further information ( though I've nagged them for quite some time) what I did is this 1) close my subscription 2) emailed Spotify to permanently delete my account 3) went to Apple iTunes 4) registered an account with them . So if you guys are suffering the same re-download frustrations, then you can say that I gave you the solution. Thank you

Same issue. Had it for years. I have a good dataplan, but whenever I get on a plane it's super annoying.

Same issue. It is now 2019 and you STILL have this problem.

It's 2019 and still this problem is not resolved. My spotify app downloads my playlist everyday. Make something worth for the premium

I'm having the same issue, where Spotify deletes all of my downloaded music every month, sometimes multiple times a month. Currently at 1Gb of data to Spotify this month when I should already have all the music on my phone. (Netflix currently under 500mb)

This is especially annoying when I'm travelling and loose all my music unable to get decent WiFi. I've, cleared all Spotify app data, reloaded the spotify app, even reformatted my phone.

Upset there is Max of 3 photos. I have dozens showing this issue. 

Screenshot_20200331_091323.jpg
Screenshot_20200331_091400.jpg

Suggested posts