Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Scroll Bar Not Visible

Solved!

Scroll Bar Not Visible

New look utilizes a dark gray scroll bar on a black background. Older monitors (non HD) do not show it at all and tablet PC can't be viewed in sunlight. Really Spotify you didnlt think about making it a more contrasting color.

61 Replies

Dear Spotify,

please make the scroll bar a bit better visible. You can still make it available as an extra option... But please, do something about this. It is absurdly annoying.

Also: why do my preferences forget that I don't want to see my friend feed + that I want to listen to my music in high quality, each time I start the program?

These are really small bugs, but looking at this forum, nothing is done about them.

Kind regards

So, I have to say I haven't in Spotify much for a while, but just downloaded desktop version 1.0.21.143, and I have a feeling that they may have made the scroll bar a bit brighter. I went to look for the release notes/change log to verfiy this, but (of course) they don't publish a change log.  Does anyone else think the scroll bar has gotten any brighter?

Yeah, I can't see it at all unless I get close to my screen and squint. It's the worst on the right side, when I'm in my song library. The longer the list the tinier the scroll bar.... I'm starting to worry it might actually disappear one of these days, haha.

Spotify, please fix this! It's a really stupid problem!

Three years on since the first post and the scroll bars are still virtually invisible. This should be a simple think to change.

I am still baffled that Spotify still hasn´t addressed all the complaints on the dark UI.

Since the UI change I have on my stationary computer used the hack that made it possible to keep the old user interface with light gray and dark gray elements, and which is much more information condensed. The black and very dark grey that is used on later versions is more difficult to use compared to the older one, especially in light conditions.

I understand that Spotify wants to make the UI simple, but for a heavy user wading through masses of music, the information density is important. I use Spotify to track down new music, and to find these gems again. Not to look at a "pretty" interface.

Now a few years down the road I have bought a laptop and installed the newest version of the Spotify software. And lo and behold, nothing has changed. It is still hard to read, very low information density, no personal song rating available, and it is nearly impossible to separate the different UI elements. I am now sitting in a bright lit room, using a top end laptop, and I can´t see the scroll bars. Useless.

WHY ISN`T THERE ANY CUSTOMIZABILITY YET? Please, let the users decide if they want a dark or a light skin. It is 2016 already!

(Edit. Sorry for the rant, but this really annoys me. I probably should just take my money elsewhere and shut up...)

please repair this asap ! should be very easy for you guys hehe 😃 

thanks

The razor-thin, nearly-invisible scrollbar is ridiculous. Please make it wider and adjust the colors so it's visible.

After up-voting all the similar messages posted over the last two years I finally found a do-it-yourself fix. The desktop app is built like a web site and the look of everything is defined in CSS, which you can edit. On Windows if you look in the folder %appdata%\Spotify\Apps you will see a bunch of *.spa files. Each of these is a zip archive including glue1.css. Inside you will find these sections (with my red annotations):

::-webkit-scrollbar {
width: 10px; <== scrollbar width in pixels (try 20)
background-color: #181818;
}

::-webkit-scrollbar-thumb {
border: 1px solid #181818;
border-radius: 10px;
background-color: #282828; <== scrollbar color (try 0x808080, see Wikipedia)
}

I changed the width to 20 and color to #808080 (gray) and everything is a lot better. Unfortunately each of the 43 .spa files contains its own copy of glue1.css. You can edit these one at a time as follows:

1. Install 7-Zip of you haven't already (available here).
  2. Open a .spa file in 7-Zip, ex. browse.spa: Right-click on the file, choose 7-Zip>Open archive
  3. Navigate into the css folder
  4. Double-click on glue1.css and the file will open in you default editor. Your editor may not show like breaks (ex. Notepad). It will still work, or you can choose a different editor in 7-Zip's Tools>Options>Editor settings.
  5. Change the values above as you like
  6. Save the file and exit the editor
  7. Click back to 7-Zip which should be asking if you want to update the file in the archive. Answer Ok.
  8. Relaunch Spotify and you should see the change.

These are some of the more important ones to change: album, artist, browse, collection, collection-songs, playlist-desktop, zlink-queue.

Using the tools from Marco and duja (see below) will extract all the .spa files into folders which make it easier to edit a bunch of them. You'll need repl.bat and duja's batch file.

--- old reply ---

Marco and duja posted scripts and instructions in the "How to change the Spotify skin" (on Windows) thread. See these posts by duja:

• 2015-10-21 Instructions with some manual steps
  • 2015-10-25 Links to scripts that automate virtually everything.

Don't be put off by the "make a backup" step--it's just one folder. In Windows Explorer, paste the location %appdata%\Spotify, right-click on the "Apps" folder, choose Send To..., Compressed (zipped) folder..., and you're done! The worst case is you uninstall and reinstall Spotify.

Once it's set up you have three choices:

1. The color you want to change
  2. What you want to change it to
  3. Which components you want to change colors in

The scrollbar color is #282828 in Spotify 1.0.32 on Windows 10. I changed everything that color to #505050 which makes it visible but not necessarily pretty. The motivated reader can figure out exactly which components to make the change in.

Edit 7/4/2016 Added css details.

I'm glad that there is a work around for this problem. Sadly I'm not savvy or confident enough to try it.out. When the first step is back everything up that makes me concerned that I'll do even that wrong then be screwed in the end somehow. But it's much appreciated that you shared this with the community. I'm sure there are many others who can go through the steps you directed us to and be successful.

siestakey21

>Sadly I'm not savvy or confident enough to try it.out. When the first step is back everything ...

@siestakey21, I was a little leery when I first looked at the steps but once you drop a couple files in the right place and run it from the comand line it's a breeze. I updated my post with more info on the "backup" step.

Make Scroll bar visible.  White on black or green.  It's also too narrow.  Please fix, it is annoying as heck.

MAKE SCROLL BAR VISIBLE AND LARGER.  EASY FIX FOR ANNOYING PROBLEM

MAKE SCROLL BAR VISIBLE WITH COLOR AND WIDER.  IT IS ANNOYING AND SHOULD BE AN EASY FIX.

FIX SCROLL BAR SO IT IS VISIBLE.  ALSO WIDEN SO THAT IT CAN BE CLICKED ON.  I'D CONTACT COMPANY DIRECTLY BUT THEY JUST SEND YOU BACK TO COMMUNITY AND ARE THEN UNRESPONSIVE TO THE ISSUES RAISED.

MAKE SCROLL BAR VISIBLE AND WIDEN SCROLL BAR SO THAT IT CAN BE EASILY USED.  FIX THIS!

THE RIGHT SCROLL BAR IS THE WORST.  IT IS HARD TO USE &HARD TO SEE. 

THE SCROLL BAR COMPLAINTS ARE YEARS OLD AND NOT ADDRESSED.  FIX THIS ISSUE.  YOU HAVE A GREAT PROGAM BUT A GLARING PROBLEM WITH THE TINY INVISIBLE SCROLL BAR.  FIX THIS NOW!

2 years later and nothing.

Spotify NEVER read feedback.

DOES SPOTIFY READ OR RESPOND TO ANY OF THE COMMUNITY SUGGESTIONS AND COMPLAINTS OR IS THIS A TOTAL WASTE OF TIME.  I'M GOING TO KEEP ON POSTING THE SAME COMPLAINT.

Suggested posts