Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify Crashes when searching local files on Windows 10 app

Spotify Crashes when searching local files on Windows 10 app

Plan

Premium

Country

Chile/ formerly Netherlands

Device

Lenovo Ideapad S340 

Operating System

Windows 10 home 64x

My Question or Issue

I currently changed laptop, and the Windows 10 app keeps crashing after trying to use the search bar in synced my local files list.

Tried uninstall, reinstall, also download software from the site, but nothing works. I'm currently using the one from the Microsoft Store and it works fine as long as I'm not trying to search into my 7,248 songs. If I do try search, the app stops responding and then I can't even close the app, I have to use the Task Manager to finish the five Spotify tasks that appear listed, consuming quite a lot of resources though, weird. Please help.

10 Replies

Hey there @-5z_or6fizk0g,

Thanks for reaching out about this here in the Community!

Apologies for the delayed response, we just came across this thread. Could you let us know if you’re still having troubles with this?

We have some trouble with the search function and you can take a look here for more info. Feel free to leave your details and +Vote in the thread as well.

Hopefully we'll have this sorted out soon, keep an eye on the page for any updates.

Keep us in the loop here.

ElenaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I have the same problem, Windows app crashes after reading 300-400 files!

Hey there @jruegge

Thanks for posting - we’re here to help!        

Make sure you try if a clean reinstall would solve this for you. We recommend this step since it'll get you the latest app version with all necessary updates and remove any corrupted files from previous installations.  

If the clean reinstall doesn't help, follow @Elena's advice and check out our Ongoing Issue thread.    

Hope this helps. Let us know if you have any questions.  

Hello,

i tried a clean reinstall, but it doesn't help.  

I'm running app version "1.1.43.700.g20acee0f". After about 400 files it get's slower and slower, and after 700 files it crashes.

The link you send me is for a different thread that has nothing to do with crashing while reading local files.

Best regards

Jens Rügge

Hi @jruegge,

Thanks for your reply.

Could you try removing the local cache of the app. You can check out the solutions in this post for a guide on how to do that.

Let us know if after you've deleted those files the app works better.

We'll be on the lookout for your reply. Don't hesitate to reach out again if you have more questions. 

AlexModerator

Hello,
I deinstalled spotify, cleaned all local spotify files from Roaming/Local/Locallow and reinstalled it, but it doesn't help.
The same behaviour repeats. After about 400 files spotify needs longer an longer to read one file (from-2-4 seconds), and after approx. 750 files it crashes.
I also tried to let spotify filling the local file list in the background without having it opened, I turned to the "Start" page instead. But also with this setting it crashes after the same time (approx 3-4 minutes). When I reopen spotify, the local files list is empty.

It seems that the spotify app reorders the list every time a new file is readed, even in the background. I think that's not a good idea, think about local music libraries with thousands of songs and your app crashes after reading less than 800.

FYI:

I'm running a Ryzon9 3900X with 32GB DDR4 RAM, so speed and memory shouldn't be a problem.

Best regards
Jens Rügge

That works, yes, but I have to do this weekly because it malfunctions eventually anyway.

Hey folks,

Thanks for keeping us posted 🙂

You can also check if a firewall or anti-virus software is affecting the performance of the Spotify app. 

You can also try running the app as administrator. Does the issue persists? 

If that doesn't help, you can try installing the app in Safe mode

Let us know how it goes. If you have questions, we are here for you.

Ver Moderator

Yes, I did all of that before knowing how to get it back to normal with the aforementioned method. Anyway, I'm still trying to solve this permanently instead of uninstalling and delete folders again and again. Thanks. 

Hey @-5z_or6fizk0g,

Thanks for keeping us in the loop 🙂

If the issue persists, we'd suggest you head here and contact our support team. The folks there can investigate this further and help you enjoy your favorite jams again.

If you have questions, don't hesitate to reach out to us. We'll be happy to help.

Ver Moderator

Suggested posts