Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify crashes when adding/removing tracks from playlist

Solved!

Spotify crashes when adding/removing tracks from playlist

So I'm listening to a Radio, a song comes up that I want to add to a playlist, I click on teh album art and select add to playlist select the playlist then BAM music stops, dissapears. I'm rocking a W7 with plenty of memory (8core) NO reason for it to crash.

Also went to play Que to add the song Still crashes

If you can help it would be appreciated cause I'm getting angry.

[Edit - Title for clarity - Mod]

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

The following, as suggested in the troubleshooting thread, worked for me:

B. Troubleshooting / Uninstalling
Please follow the below troubleshooting steps to see if you can resolve the issue on your own 

1. Make sure that Spotify is no longer running (Spotify » Quit Spotify)
  2. Manually delete these folders:
    ~/Library/Caches/com.spotify.Client
    ~/Library/Application Support/Spotify
  3. Delete the Spotify application in the Applications folder
  4. Restart your computer at this point.
  5. Reinstall Spotify (download)

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

I don't need a solution anymore. I went back to version 0.8.3.x and I forgot how much better for me the smaller font was and how much less of a memory hog the older versions were.

Thanks for nothing, keep the change.

Marked as solution

The new update still hasn't been rolled out to me, and I'm just at my wit's end with the crashing. For anyone else in the same position, here is how you can roll back your client to a previous version and temporarily disable automatic updates:

Windows Instructions

http://www.filehorse.com/download-spotify/old-versions/

• Download <0.9.0.153 (I'm running 0.9.0.129)
  • Uninstall current Spotify version (via Add/Remove programs)
  • Install the old client that you downloaded.
  • Enjoy the lack of crash

-Optional-

• Go to C:/Users/<Name>/Appdata/Roaming/Spotify
  • Make a new empy text file
  • Name it Spotify_new.exe
  • Right click the file and make the file read only
  • Make a new empty text file
  • Name it Spotify_new.exe.sig
  • Right click the file and make the file read only

Mac OSX Instructions

http://mac.filehorse.com/download-spotify/old-versions/

• Download <0.9.0.153 (I'm running 0.9.0.129)
  • Uninstall current Spotify version
  • Install the old client that you downloaded
  • Enjoy the lack of crash

-Optional-

• Go to your ~/Library folder
  • Go to Application Support/Spotify
  • Delete Spotify_new.archive and Spotify_new.archive.sig (if they are there)
  • Now open your favorite text editor, I used TextWrangler
  • Make two blank documents and save them as "Spotify_new.archive" and "Spotify_new.archive.sig"
  • Right click each file and go to "Get Info"
  • Check the "Locked" button on each and close the info window

All you have to do to reenable automatic updates is just delete the files created during the optional step and it'll work fine. Also, I had to roll back at least two versions on my client because the previous version (0.9.0.153) was giving me playlist crash issues as well for some reason. You can roll back to anything you like, however.

**this information was obtained via the community forums but I don't remember who posted it. No credit goes to me!

Marked as solution

Hey everyone. We're sorry about any inconvenience this is causing. Our plan is to make the new version of the desktop app available on our site for download, as soon as possible. While we're rolling the app out soon, we want to make it available even if the rollout hasn't reached you yet since we believe the new version fixes the problem. We'll update you as soon as we've update our site. 

Marked as solution

Hey guys 🙂 

Just noticed the updated client has just hit the download pages which should stop this crashing issue. 

If you have not yet received the auto-update, or you are still getting crashing after updating please follow the steps below to update:

Windows:

1. Click File > Exit Spotify.

2. Right click on the taskbar, select "Start Task Manager", navigate to the Processes Tab, sort by name and make sure SpotifyWebHelper.exe is not running. If it is, select it in the list and press "End Process".

3. Click Start and select Control Panel.
4. Click Programs and then Programs and Features.
5. Select Spotify in the list and click Uninstall.
6. Go to http://download.spotify.com/Spotify%20Installer.exe and reinstall Spotify.

Mac:

1. Click Spotify > Quit Spotify.
2. Open Finder, then click Go in the top menus > Library (hold alt if Library isn’t visible).
3. Open Caches and delete the folder com.spotify.Client.
4. Click the back arrow.
5. Open Application Support and delete the folder Spotify.
6. Go to http://download.spotify.com/Spotify.dmg and reinstall Spotify.

Linux clients will have to wait for it to be released (if its going to be since they don't do every release) by the linux team. 

Version at time of writing is 0.9.4.169.gc0399df6

Peter

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

Marked as solution

Hello everyone,

Staff here. Thanks for hanging in there while we worked on this bug. We've rolled out the newest version of the desktop app to about 50% of users at this time. For those of you who haven't yet received the notification inviting you to update, you can download the new version from Spotify.com using the instructions mentioned in this post.

We're monitoring the issue closely so please let us know if the problem persists even after you've upgraded to 0.9.4.

Marked as solution

@flboffin Please try a reinstall. That should ensure you have the newest update (we uploaded it today).

-------

Check out how we're doing over @SpotifyStatus

Question answered? Just click 'Accept as solution' to help other users out. Easy.

Who's your Spotify Star?

Marked as solution

So it seems that either an update or a clean reinstall would likely (hopefully?) solve the sudden CTD problem.

But I can't seem to get the update installer nor the full installer to d'load.  About half the attempts (the direct links I've seen posted up the thread a bit) result in File Not Found errors, the automatic d'load results consistently in "C:\Documents and Settings\Jon\My Documents\Downloads\SpotifySetup(1).exe could not be saved, because an unknown error occurred. Try saving to a different location."

which is problematic at least on WinXP since I'm getting no option to dictate where the file is saved.

Umm ... help?

601 Replies

Hey! Welcome to the community 🙂 

Does this happen on every track? 

Peter

Peter

Yes, I've tried maybe 5-10 different songs (building a party playlist) All Rap.I don't genre should matter though

Strange, would you be able to let us know your Spotify client version number (Help > About)? 

If you click on the version number it will copy it to the clipboard so you can just paste it here 😉 

Peter

Peter

Can't copy paste, I'll type it

Version 0.9.1.57.ge7405149

Will try and remember to reproduce this later when I am near a Windows machine! 

In the meantime if anyone else is having this issue - please post your details here 😉 

Peter

Peter

I am having the same problem... Has happened twice already today.  Running Vista SP2 and have never had problems before.  When I start Spotify back up, it remembers the song I was playing (even the time index) but doesn't have a record of me adding the song to the playlist.  Hope they fix the bug!

Have the same issue. Windows 7 64 bit, same version 0.9.1.57.ge7405149. Crashes after every second attempt to add a song to a playlist. Adding from Albums, not Radio.

I think, the problem may be in a planty of songs and playlists. At my lybrary are 2399 tracks and 125 playlists. I had the same problem at Android 2.3, with old version of Spotify. After updating I can use Spotify but now it´s permanently freezing my HTC One.

On Samsung Galaxy 3S GT - I9300 with Android 4.1.2 it crushes around 20 times per day. The prolem may be in 2 reasons.

1. I travel a lot and after changing mobile stations with other IP adress Spotify may crash.

2. When I open some sites with Flash or Java. The example is here http://dnevnik.se/

So, the last month was terrible with music. I understand that Spotify is the best musical player and search engine but could the Spotify team try to fix it as soon as possible?:)

Same problem, it keeps closing down whenever I add a song to my playlist. (Windows 7).

I have the same issue - only in reverse:  when i try to remove a song from a playlist, Spotify "crashes".

Spotify, can you please look into this and address?

Yeah Im getting the same issue.

If I add a song to a certain playlist, spotify just closes immediatly. No error message, nothing in the event log of windows. I restart spotify and its waiting on the same song at the spot it closed on.

It's not only if I add a song to a certain playlist, but since it's a collaborative one, if someone else adds a song to it, then it closes as well.

Windows 8 here. Just updated windows 8 this morning, perhaps that has something to do with it?

Who has the same issue, how many songs and playlists do you have in Spotify?

I have. If I delete a track Spotify vanishes (Windows 7), no error message, no nothing. This is s annoying  My autumn cleaning of my plaulists will take hours. I have three playlists, 1200 songs in total

Exact same thing just started happening to me too, a few days ago. It crashes adding or removing songs in a playlist. Spotify is version 0.9.1.57.ge7405149. Using WIndows 7. The playlist has 294 tracks, bigger than any other one that I've had so far, but its also been doing it on some smaller playlists too. Perhaps its the number of playlists? With this one I just created I now have 8, but I doubt that's high. When it crashes removing a song, the song is still there when spotify loads back up. Then I can remove it without a crash, as long as I haven't started playing a song again. As soon as I start playing music though, the next attempt to remove or add a song will crash it again.

Mac OS X 10.8.4, MacBook Air 13inch.

Spotify 0.9.1.57

Here's what happens;

- play some music

- select some other tracks from the same playlist (not the one playing) and hit delete

- Spotify crashes

Also happens if I pause the music before pressing delete. 

After restart, I'm able to delete the tracks. But next time I try the same task, the crash happens again. 

Any ideas?

Exact same thing happens to me aswell, when adding a track to a playlist spotify unexpectedly quits just like that.. I have spotify 0.9.1.57.ge7405149 🙂 Cheeers

Edit, I have 50 playlists and the one im adding songs to have 1250 songs. I use macbook version 10.8.4

Have you tried a reinstall? That can usually fix crashing issues like this.

If it keeps happening just let us know and we'll take a look at your account.

Check out our Twitter for the latest updates on any service issues: @Spotifystatus

Problem solved? Click 'Accept as solution' to make it easier to find for others!

New to the Community? Check out our Community newbie tips

I have the same problem with Spotify crashing when trying to add a song to a list. It happens randomly though, not every time.

I use a Macbook Pro mid 2010 with OS X Lion 10.7.5

I have the same problem, on both devices (both windows 7 with latest spotify version) where I use spotify. I first noticed this issue yesterday. I tried a fresh install of spotify on one of my devices, but this did not solve the problem.

Suggested posts