Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify stuck in Offline mode

Spotify stuck in Offline mode

Periodically, on Windows 10, spotify believes that there is no internet connection when there is.

This is abolutely infuriating, as the only way to fix it is to restart my PC. Has anyone else had this issue?

19 Replies

Hey there, 

this seems frustrating. I also get "Offline mode" sometimes when I put my PC to sleep and then log back in, but it's for a couple of seconds to a minute. 

You can try some easier ways instead of restarting your PC. 

• Restart Spotify
  • Log out from your Spotify account and log back in
  • Turn off your internet connection and turn it back on (to refresh the app)
  • Bugs comes and bugs goes, usually a Clean Reinstall of the app clears most of the problems. You can give your app a fresh start.

Hope some of the steps here work for you, happy listening!

MartinStoichkovSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

This doesn't work

Hey there @abafazi,

Thank you for your reply and confirmation.

Can you restart your device to see if that helps?

Also - can you log in with another account - such as a friend's or a family member's to see if the issue persists?

It's also good to try with another internet connection.

It would also be great if you can let us know which version of the app you have?

We'll keep an eye out for your reply.

Cheers!

JeremyModerator
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Restarting the device works. But this is not a permanent solution. This happens to me about once a week, and it's quite annoying to have to restart my PC every time this happens. I believe it's a bug where Spotify checks with Windows to see if there is an internet connection without actually trying to connect.

Spotiamp works and can see that I have an internet connection - why can't Spotify?

This is the version of Spotify I am using 

abafazi_0-1607084639286.png

Hey again @abafazi,

Thank you for your reply and screenshot.

You should appear as online if there is no trouble with your settings and individual connection. You can check that Spotify is not being blocked by a firewall or an antivirus program. 

If it occurs again - can you see if it works better with another internet connection, and try to restart your router?

Keep us posted. 

Cheers!

JeremyModerator
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

I know, 99% of the time, it is the customers fault, there is something wrong with their device, or internet connection, or firewall, or antivirus.

But Spotify is erroneously checking with Windows to see if there is an internet connection before even attempting to connect its self.

This is a bug with Spotify

Hello, this occasionally happen on my side also with 1.1.59.712.g54f36e5d-a
I use premium and able to go online sometimes, and need to tick untick the offline mode to solve the issue, but the problem is the error modal isn't helping sometimes... it sometmes show 53 error, sometimes only oops something wrong happen and I as user need to guess by tick untick, or restart the computer, and it's troublesome...

Firewall turned off to test the issue, and it's not firewall issue, windows defender tested also with turned off and spotify still have same issue. Any help or debug log I would like to provide, but please advice the way to fetch the log. Thank you.

Hey @BenyaminL,

Thanks for searching for the answer you need here.

Just to confirm - have you tried performing a clean reinstall using these steps that @MartinStoichkov posted above? This step lets you start afresh with the latest app version by removing any corrupted files from previous installations. 

Afterwards you should also check your host files. Even though it was written for another topic, this page has instructions on how to do this.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted on how it goes.  

Mihail Moderator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Clean uninstall store version and use exe provided from download page fix the issue.

Hey @BenyaminL

Fantastic news! Give us a shout if it starts misbehaving again; we're always here to help. 

Have a great day 🙂

EniModerator

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

This issue occurs regularly whenever my ISP drops the DNS connection for a few minutes.  Truly awful app behavior especially when other components are clearly connecting and pulling data.

This seems to be the case... I use a local DNS server so Windows always reports that it's not connected to the internet even though everything works perfectly fine.

I relogin diable lan & enable lan back now it wrork!!

This glitch happen when I was playing on my phone I restarted my router then switch to play on Google home but I notice my PC app not showing playing on Google (PC app not sync might be due to lost internet connection) so I choose Google Home again on PC then phone disconnected and PC connected to Google Home then PC suddenly stuck in Offline Mode but the rest device was fine.

Still happening to me as of today after internet outage.

Tried restarting app. Did not reboot PC.

Spotify for Windows (64 bit)
1.2.30.1135.g02fef27a

Hey @ulvbot,

Thanks for posting in the thread!

Just to check, does a clean reinstall of the app make any difference? If that doesn't do the trick, would you mind restarting your device?

Should the issue persist, can you let us know what device and operating system version you're using? Also, does the same thing happen if you connect to a different network?

Keep us posted on how it goes.

MariaModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".

Yes re-install works.

Network didn't make any difference. Win 11, desktop pc.

Hey there @ulvbot,

Thanks for keeping us in the loop.

To confirm, are you back on track again after reinstalling the app, or are you still encountering the same issue?

We'll keep an eye out for your reply.

MariaModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".

Looks ok now. Just waiting for my ISP to go crazy again and turn my internet on and off every 15 sec. We'll see how Spotify reacts next time.

Suggested posts