Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Windows 10 latest app keeps crashing after 20-30 minutes

Solved!

Windows 10 latest app keeps crashing after 20-30 minutes

Plan

Premium

Country

US

Device

Desktop PC

AMD Ryzen 7 3800

64GB RAM

Nvidia GTX 970

Operating System

Windows 10 64bit

My Question or Issue

The app will play and operate fine for about 20 minutes or so and then will just crash. This happens every time I use it, and it seems to happen frequently when the next track is about to play but also mid-song as well. Started about the second most recent update. I stream and do not use local files. I have 'hardware acceleration' checked as is default. I have reinstalled several times and made sure to completely wipe my pc of spotify the last two times. There are more than several 'spotify.exe' listed in task manager and many tray icons on the taskbar. Not sure of any other useful info, it happens no matter what else I am doing on my pc. Thanks in advance.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

There is no error. I restart into safe mode with networking, I click the Spotify tile in my start menu, and nothing happens.

Spotify is allowed and exempted from my firewall and anti-virus. It's just basic windows defender.

I turned on Show Local Files, disabled both locations, and turned it back off. This seems to have fixed the problem for me. It's been running for a couple hours now, when it wouldn't last more than a couple minutes before doing this.

View solution in original post

Marked as solution

Hey @soboyle,

Thanks for keeping in touch.

Take the time you need. When you toggle Local Files on, make sure to disable any sources that appear there, then toggle Local Files off again.

We'll be looking out for your reply to see how it goes.

CarlosEModerator

Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

View solution in original post

49 Replies

me too,but I'm worse

I cant even play a song completely

crash after 1~2 min

reinstall didnt help😫

update

I have 2 system

win10 1909 18363.1379

win10 1903 18362.30

1909 is my laptop spotify cant even play properly

1903 is my desktop,and its work fine

Hi there @soboyle and @hank2630,

Thank you for your posts here in the Community. 

Can you perform a clean reinstall of the app? This is different from a quick reinstall and could be helpful to get rid of any cached files that might be causing trouble. 

If that doesn't do the trick, can you try with another internet connection to see if the issue persists?

We'll keep an eye out for your reply.

Take care!

JeremyModerator
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

I tried clean install 3 times

didnt work

Hi again @hank2630,

Thank you for confirming.

Can you try with another internet connection?

It would also be great if you can let us know if this happens while you're using the web player?

On another note, do you have the Microsoft store version?

JeremyModerator
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

Clean installs haven't helped. I cannot move my desktop pc to a new internet connection. I have tried with and without using a vpn. The web player works fine using firefox, haven't tried other browsers.

I'm having the same issue. I was on the Windows 10 store version when it started. I uninstalled it and reinstalled the desktop app. No luck. Tried a clean reinstall again, reinstalling the Windows 10 app, still having the same issue.

edit: I'm at the point where it just crashes even if I'm not playing music.

Hey @soboyle and @emnii,

Thanks for trying and keeping us posted.

Can you try clearing your hosts file by following the steps in this article?

If the issue persists, can you try toggling the option Enable hardware acceleration off to see if that makes any difference?

Keep us posted on how it goes.

CarlosEModerator

There were no spotify or fastly entries in the hosts file. Hardware acceleration turned off also didn't help. 

Nothing in my hosts file is related to Spotify.

I toggled off hardware acceleration. It still crashed. Toggled it back on. Crashed again.

Hey folks,

Thanks for keeping in touch.

Could you try restarting your computers in Safe Mode and let us know if the issue persists?

Also, make sure that Spotify is set as an exception in your firewall and antivirus.

Keep us in the loop.

CarlosEModerator

Spotify won't even run in Safe Mode.

Hey @emnii,

Thanks for keeping us in the loop.

You should be able to start the app in Safe Mode - could you post a screenshot of any error messages that come up?

Also, could you make sure that Spotify is added as an exception to all Firewall and Antivirus apps? It's a good idea to also go to Settings>Local Files enable Show Local Files , disable all locations that come up under Show song from and then disable Show Local Files again?

Keep us posted. We'll be keeping an eye out for your reply.

Mihail Moderator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

This is also happening to me too. Never gets in beyond ~10 minutes, I can't finish long songs before the client crashes. I did a clean reinstall, Spotify is marked as an exception in Defender (my only antivirus) and it's not present in hosts either.

When I view the status of other devices on my phone, my laptop will often suddenly be undetectable to my phone, even when it is still running. Usually this means that the computer client is going to crash soon.

Edit: Yeah, the crashes also happen even if I don't play any music on the client

Hey @CrashingBoar

Thanks for reaching out about this. 

If possible, could you ask a friend or a family member to log in to their personal account using your laptop to see if they can replicate this?

You could also give it a try with a different internet connection. 

Let us know how it goes. 

NovyModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".

Local files are shown but I do mot have any anyway. The program is an exception in firewall and windows defender. I tried safe mode, but it crashed also, and there is no error to screenshot, it just stops and disappears. There is an unreasonable amount of spotify icons listed in task manager and the taskbar tray too, maybe ten or more. I also tried just having it running without playing music and it still crashes like clockwork.

Still happens when I swap onto someone else's account. However, it doesn't seem to happen if I log out and just idle on the "please login" screen.

Hey folks, 

Thanks for your replies. 

@soboyle, just to confirm, were you able to test this using a different account?

@CrashingBoar, could you let us know if you notice anything new after turning Hardware Acceleration off?

We'll be on the lookout. 

NovyModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".

it still crashed

I'm getting the crashes too, done multiple reinstalls with the windows store and x32 versions and still crash. I believe the most recent desktop update is whats causing the issue since it was fine before this. Really hope this gets fixed soon, paying for nothing atm.

Suggested posts