Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Windows App] Can't play any song - buttons are greyed out

[Windows App] Can't play any song - buttons are greyed out

Plan

Premium

Country

USA

Device

PC

Operating System

Windows 10

My Question or Issue

I'm unable to play any song in the Spotify Windows app. Clicking the play button doesn't do anything. Bottom section appears greyed out. This is persistent for all songs across my playlists and any songs I search.

I attempted reinstalling Spotify - didn't work. Tried restarting my computer - didn't work. I also tried a fix I read about deleting the host file in C:/Windows/System32/drivers/etc/host but that didn't work either. I'm pretty much out of ideas and as far as I can tell I haven't been able to find this exact problem for others.

Any solutions would be appreciated. Screenshot attached.

Capture.PNG
8 Replies

Hi @jcycsci,

Thanks for reaching out about this.

Apologies for the delayed reply, we've just come across this tread.

Can you try deleting Spotify's local files on your machine? Check out the solutions in this post to find out how.

After that we recommend tryin a clean reinstall of the app once more. You can see the relevant steps here. Also, could you tell us if you've tried logging in with a different account?

Let us know how it goes.

AlexModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

The best aswer is to reinstall? No "looking into it to solve the bug"? Great... No wonder the same happened to me. 

I have had a similar problem both with my phone and my desktop, looks the same too. Button gets greyed out and I can't play any playlists that I have not created myself or albums. Tried rebooting the program, clean reinstall, all that. I may have found the most stupid way to fix it, or at the very least it's something that works for me and is something you could try. Add whatever playlist you are attempting to listen to your library. That's it. You can remove it afterwards. Maybe it will help you too.

Hey @Poroyalty,

Sounds like you're experiencing this Ongoing Issue that's currently being investigated. Feel free to check out the thread and share the requested details so we can forward them to our tech folks. As soon as there are any updates on the matter we'll keep everyone posted in there.

Take care.

YordanModerator
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".

i was having the same issue and I tried this but there was no difference.

Hey @ApplePoison2099,

Welcome to the Community and thank you for joining the conversation.

Just to be on the same page, have you tried the troubleshooting processes mentioned in the floating answer of this Ongoing issue?

Also, would you mind confirming if you've already cleared all the entries containing "Spotify" from the host files of your PC? If not, you can follow the instructions in this post to do so (even if it's a different issue).

Hope this helps. We'll be on the lookout. 

OscarDCModerator

Hi, I came here to look for a solution, as I was having the same issue, grayed-out play options on my PC. When I clicked on a song, nothing would happen. After visiting this page, I clicked on a playlist and it started playing and resolved this issue. I wouldn't be surprised if this doesn't fix others' issues, but it worked for me and thought I'd share.

Hey @Shado4927,

Thanks for sharing your success.

This issue can arise when there is something out of order with the particular Spotify installation on the device. Basic troubleshooting can help most of the times - clean reinstall, relog a few times, network switch and testing with a different account. If none of those help, we can then let our tech team know about the experience and they can have a look as well.

Thanks for confirming the app behaves properly for you now.

Cheers!

DianModerator

Suggested posts