Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Mobile] [Other] Smart Shuffle toggle setting in settings menu

Smart shuffle is a fun way to discover new songs, but it comes at a cost. Want to reshuffle your queue? Bam, wait a few seconds longer. Want to unshuffle your playlist? Bam, no longer works, and goes to a completely random place in the playlist.

To me this is an unwanted complication, and I'd much rather be able to choose in the settings menu whether I want to enable the Smart Shuffle feature, or disable it.

Updated on 2023-05-01

Hey! It looks like your suggestion is growing up fast and it's amazing! We are going to change its status to 'Good Suggestion' now and we hope it continues being supported by more and more users.
Thanks again for your suggestion. We really appreciate it 🙂

More information about how the Spotify Idea Exchange works can be found here.

Comments
agafajara

I really am tired of the smart shuffle. Just add the disable permanently option in setting so I can listen MY OWN PLAYLIST created by ME. I dont need those smart thing in fact it's just unnecessary thing we dont want in apps we've paid. The reason why I didn't add the music that smart shuffle algorithm detects not because I forget to add it, its because I DONT WANT IT IN MY PLAYLIST. 

JPMLucero

This option would be so great as this feature is messing with my app and makes it difficult for me to set the app to offline mode. I like having my shuffle toggle button just be for the normal shuffle for easy disabling/enabling quickly. Why can't they just add a separate toggle button, only for the smart shuffle. So frustrating that you have to wait a little bit just for the smart shuffle to be disabled.

malus_01

I agree, the current process of pressing the shuffle icon to cycle through shuffle enable > smart shuffle > shuffle disabled is problematic. If you just want to disable shuffle, then you will first hit Smart Shuffle (love this feature by the way). This can be problematic if you are in an area where mobile service is spotty. You will end up using data and waiting for Smart Shuffle to finish loading before being able to disable shuffle altogether.

My suggestion is to allow long pressing the shuffle icon which brings up a context menu allowing user to select Shuffle or Smart Shuffle (Image attached for concept). And a quick press of shuffle icon again simply disables either Shuffle/Smart Shuffle.

Screenshot_20230419-085849.png

Luan
Status changed to: Good Suggestion

Updated on 2023-05-01

Hey! It looks like your suggestion is growing up fast and it's amazing! We are going to change its status to 'Good Suggestion' now and we hope it continues being supported by more and more users.
Thanks again for your suggestion. We really appreciate it 🙂

More information about how the Spotify Idea Exchange works can be found here.

_georgemccombe

Smart shuffle is so aggravating please give us a way to turn it off permanently from settings and stop telling people to tap shuffle again. God

RD1010

Spotify please listen to this, Im so tired of having to hit the shuffle button twice and it always takes 5-10 seconds to turn off smart shuffle. Its very inconvenient. please add a place where i can disable smart shuffle fully! A TON of others are feeling this exact same way

AndyMac3

So annoying, please remove. Seriously considering moving to Amazon music

barca21

100 % agree. It's slow, needs internet (which equals to eating up my data when I don't even want to use it but have to turn it on/off to get out of normal shuffle mode) and after going through all the trouble of waiting for it to disable, my queue is left all messed up every time, even though it should have been returned back to simply following my playlist.

AnnoyedUser10

Agreed, smart shuffle is terrible and we should have the option to disable it completely.  Sometimes I like to look at my queue and hit the shuffle button to change the order, but they made that stupid white pop up at the bottom of the screen completely cover the shuffle button so you have to wait for it to go away and can’t rapidly toggle the shuffle button to switch the order of the queue.   Let us turn this unwanted BS off!!

oreodoh

Seriously, just add a different button or menu option to toggle smart shuffle.

I don’t hate the feature entirely TBH, but just leave the default shuffle button alone so I can cycle through modes with that annoying delay. Sometimes I’m trying to make the change seconds before the current track ends, and because of smart shuffle I miss the window to adjust the playlist to my liking. Then a song I don’t want to play takes over and throws everything out of whack.

Smart shuffle is a nice idea. Just asking for better (non-interfering) implementation.