Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[iOS] Airplay 2 Support for iOS

New idea for earlier closed ideas:

Experiencing delay with Spotify when streaming to multiple Airplay 2 devices. Works with Apple Music 

Updated on 2021-08-07

Hello everyone,

We apologize for any confusion we have caused. To clarify, Spotify will support Airplay 2. Please continue to use this thread to add your votes and comments.

We’ll post updates when they become available.

Comments

The problem is when selecting multiple airplay 2 speakers and tv's, they do not sync and they play with delay when using spotify on iOS. Airplay 1 also drains A LOT of battery and uses a lot of cpu resources, overheating my iPhone X specially if it's charging (not with Apple Music or Tidal).

tonglil

What is going on! I want to support Spotify and their battle to get equality in Apple's ecosystem, but come on don't hold out on your users.. Otherwise we'll be switching to Apple and you'll have lost a supporter.

Luddy

Please, please, please. My stereo homepods are literally unusable with Spotify still.

j_lundqvist

For years now, my workaround to get my music working into my stereo Homepods, have been to sync my playlists to Apple Music using SongShift, as Spotify refuse to implement Airplay 2 so the speakers stay in sync. However, today I got news that Spotify have contacted the developer of SongShift and prohibiting them from syncing playlists in the outbound direction. 

I still prefer Spotify over Apple Music and would like to continue using the service, but as you don't support the HomePod natively (which might not be your fault), refuse to implement Airplay 2 (definitely your fault) and plugged my workaround (also your fault) I can't see how I can remain. 

Spotify, you need to understand that I WANT TO BE A CUSTOMER, but you're not making it easy. Why are you pushing me away by refusing to implement something as simple as Airplay 2?

c10b10

Please implement this.

blakegentry4

It's really sad that Spotify still doesn't support AirPlay 2 multiple years since the technology was introduced. Even solo developer Marco Arment was able to ship AirPlay 2 by himself, and he has a much more technically complex use case with his Smart Speed & silence skipping algorithms.

Without AirPlay 2 support, using Spotify over AirPlay results in random flakiness, skips, and stuttering over my home wifi network as I move around the house into dead spots or hop between access points. That's because AirPlay v1 requires the device to be constantly streaming an uninterrupted audio stream in real time (aside from its 2 second built-in delay), and any network blips can cause a skip. AirPlay 2 solves this by pre-buffering much larger chunks of audio, even entire tracks, and lets the devices work out synchronized playback. I did a test with Apple Music and Tidal—both of these were able to flawlessly play back with no skips. Even as I completely disabled network connectivity, the song kept playing until the end.

Please support the full suite of relevant iOS APIs, including AirPlay 2 and HomePod's Siri support. I'm cancelling Spotify and switching to another service meanwhile.

dyrmaker83

This is so frustrating to see years of comments on iOS Airplay 2 support with no change.  We need something good in 2020.

henrytran026

I can't believe this is not being properly considered and implemented, given that Airplay 2 has been out for years now. Really disappointing. 

Spotify please give us a status update regarding Airplay 2!

fanty

Let's face it: Spotify has Spotify Connect - which is a selling point for some equipment. They probably don't see any sense in supporting some technology which slows down their plattformization.