Friend Feed not updating for users on desktop

Hey everyone!

We've seen some reports that the Friend Feed is not working properly for you.

If you're experiencing the following, please click the +VOTE button:

• Seeing friends show in the Friend Feed even if you're not following them
  • Unfollowing/ following friends again refreshes the Friend Feed however, when restarting the app the changes aren't reflected

Note: If the Friend Feed isn't appearing at all, you can head here to leave your +VOTE instead.

Also, make sure to try the following steps first:

• Log out and back in your account to shake things up
  • Perform a clean reinstall of the desktop app
  • Try a different network connection to see if the issue persists

If that doesn't help, it'd be helpful to leave a comment with the following so we can pass this info to our tech folks:

• Device
  • OS and version of your device
  • Spotify version

Thanks!

Hey everyone!

Thanks for reporting this :)

We can see that there's a newer version of the app available. Just to confirm, can you all reinstall the app and let us know if the issue persists in that version? 

If it does, kindly include the version of the app you've updated to in the comments, so we can pass it on to the right folks.

We'll be keeping an eye on your replies!

Related Issues

Comments
Status changed to: Need more info

toohbeyy
Music Fan

Device: Desktop Computer

OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 (Build 7601)

Spotify Version: 1.0.90.268.ga8a0ceb4

Plan: Premium

Additional Info:

Logging out and back in doesn't fix it. Neither does a clean reinstall.

Not only restarting the app causes the users to disappear from the friend feed, practically everything that "forces" a refresh on the friend feed does. Dis- and reanabling the right sidebar, switching into Offline Mode and back and also resizing the app window to a size where the right sidebar is automatically disabled and resizing it back to the original resolution, all these have the same effect.

The problem is not based on a faulty installation of the client, other accounts' friend feed work just fine.

Trying different network conditions (e.g. testing it on a whole other device in a completely different network, changing between wifi and LAN) and trying it on another OS aswell (Ubuntu) leads to the conclusion that the problem is probably account-based. Also, rolling back to an older Spotify version doesn't have any effect. Same goes for the Windows Store version of Spotify.

No Spotify-related messages are shown in the Windows event log. Even if I got a user back into my friend feed in the sidebar by un- and refollowing him, if I then type "spotify:app:buddy-list" or "spotify:buddy-list" into the search bar of the app, I get the friend feed without the user that I just got back into the right sidebar. I checked the hosts-File, no Spotify-related entries. Removing the app completely from the firewall also didn't change anything.
This trick also didn't fix it: https://community.spotify.com/t5/Desktop-Windows/The-friend-feed-failed-to-load/m-p/4483262/highligh...

Might be related to the linking with Facebook.

Status changed to: Under investigation

Hey everyone!

We've seen some reports that the Friend Feed is not working properly for you.

We've gone ahead and reported this to our tech team, who will have a further look into it.

If you're experiencing the following, please click the +VOTE button:

• Seeing friends show in the Friend Feed even if you're not following them
  • Unfollowing/following friends again refreshes the Friend Feed however, when restarting the app the changes aren't reflected

Note: If the Friend Feed isn't appearing at all, you can head here to leave your +VOTE instead.

Also, make sure to try the following steps first:

• Log out and back in your account to shake things up
  • Perform a clean reinstall of the desktop app
  • Try a different network connection to see if the issue persists

If that doesn't help, it'd be helpful to leave a comment with the following so we can pass this info to our tech folks:

• Device
  • OS and version of your device
  • Spotify version

Thanks!

Hey there @toohbeyy,

Thanks for posting!

We can see that there's a newer version of the app available than the one you're reporting. Just to confirm, can you reinstall the app and let us know if the issue persists in that version? 

If it does, kindly include the version of the app you've updated to, so we can pass it on to the right folks.

We'll be keeping an eye on your reply :)

Hey everyone!

We can see that there's a newer version of the app available. Just to confirm, can you all reinstall the app and let us know if the issue persists in that version? 

If it does, kindly include the version of the app you've updated to in the comments, so we can pass it on to the right folks.

Zrzavy_kocour

Device: HP Pavilion dv7 Notebook PC

OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium, 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 (Build 7601)

Spotify Version: 1.0.92.390.g2ce5ec7d

Plan: Free (I was ready to upgrade, but now I don't want to pay for something that's not working properly)

The issue:

I've started having problems with Friend Feed five days ago. I am following only one friend so far, and I know that that person is listening to music almost nonstop, never doing it privately though. Unfortunately, five days ago his activity just froze, showing me the same one song as if he didn't listen to anything new for all this time even though his list of recently played artists keeps constantly changing.

I've already tried everything I could (probably a hundred times): a clean reinstall, restarting my laptop, turning off and on my WiFi connection, dis- and reanabling the Friend Activity sidebar, logging out and back in, un- and refollowing my friend. I checked the hosts file, and there were no Spotify-related entries, still decided to reset it back to default, but nothing has changed. Your recent update hasn't fixed the issue either.

Additional info:

I know that my friend's account is linked with Facebook, mine isn't. During these past days, he's been playing music on both PC and iPhone and continued seeing my recent activity, while I couldn't. 

toohbeyy
Music Fan

Checked on newest version 1.0.92.390.g2ce5ec7d, still broke on both of my accounts, one free and one premium.

Noelmcgov28
Casual Listener

spotifunfkjdfa.png

Device: HP Pavilion Notebook 

Spotify Version: 1.0.92.390.g2ce5ec7d

Plan: Premium but cancelling it because this feature is useless now and not worth paying for anymore.

I've started having problems with Friend Feed in March 2018. Constantly at 5days and never updates unless a refollow people.

I have my facebook synced to this account.

It has been like this since March. Please fix now else I'm moving to Deezer.

Hey everyone!

toohbeyy
Music Fan

What are you saying? There is no new version...
1.0.92.390.g2ce5ec7d is still the most up to date version @Daisy