Friend Feed not updating or showing

We're receiving reports that the Friend Feed isn't updating or not showing entirely for some users despite both them and their friends having the "Share my listening activity on Spotify" enabled. We will be taking a closer look at this.

Hello everyone,

combining reports from our CS channels and your feedback here, we can confirm that the friend feed is currently working as expected.

As we've confirmed before, the default setting to share your listening activity has been globally set to OFF, for everyone that has never switched it around and toggled it explicitly to ON in the past. This gives everyone more direct control and choice if they want to publicly share what they listen to. This is why you're now seeing less people in your friend feed.

We've looked at individual reports and accounts submitted to us and were able to confirm backstage that the setting to share the listening activity for all accounts we investigated has not been turned on. Furthermore, from the posts here we see that you yourselves are turning on your sharing settings, but we never received a confirmation that your friends have those settings on or the complete information we requested, including what your friends were listening to.

If you're not in touch with someone you follow and can't confirm they have their sharing settings turned on, the only confirmed explanation currently is that after the default was switched to off, they never turned it back on. Your friends need to activate the setting so you can see their activity, not you yourself.

Until this can be disproved, with valid data, there's no reason for us to assume the Friend Feed is malfunctioning and as such will be closing this issue.

If you are in touch with a friend and can provide relevant info of their settings, what device they used, what they were listening to and when, please open another thread with the info and we'll investigate. If you're not in touch with a follower and can't provide said data, your followers have not actively chosen to share their listening history and we encourage to respect their decision.

Comments
Crysthorn

Same issue here - a week or two ago suddenly all my friends' activity disappeared and instead I saw the prompt to turn it on in Settings. I had it turned on (always had), but I tried to turn it off - after closing the app and restarting it was turned on again by itself.

After a few days I saw the activity of one of my friends for several days (only one person, and I'm following many more) and now even this one person disappeared again - it's back to the useless prompt. I looked into Settings and now it's the other way around: sharing activity was turned off (I didn't touch it for a week!) and even if I turn it on, after closing the app and restarting it it's turned off again by itself.

JJLI27

Please fix this, it sounds like there are still plenty of us missing out on what are following is listening to, even with re-installing and updating settings. You can see what artists they listen to when you look at their profiles but who has time for that when the functionality used to exist by default? 

llllIIIIlllII

>launch app as admin

>login into fb

>relaunch app

>logged out

small indie company amirite

TheDjEzio

I have the same problem since Wrapped 2021 came out

xi6exs-3v_28

It appears broken for me as well. It started off with only 5 friends showing over the past 2 weeks and now, it asks me to 'Share my listening activity on Spotify', which I already am. 

To make things worse, when I click on 'Add Friends', I do get my Facebook friends but I cannot toggle that menu off. I have tried logging in and out of the app, removing apps access through Facebook and then reinstating it and also re-installing the app, both through Spotify's Download section and Microsoft Store, but to no avail.

Windows 10

Spotify for Windows
1.1.74.631.g0b24d9ad

kit-poput-tebe

I have only seen activity for two friends even though others have it enabled as well, and now it's asking me to go to my setting to enable the setting even though it is enabled. Toggling it back and forth does nothing.

seerthestral

My friends are able to see what I'm listening to, but I can't see what they are listening to except 1 friend. I have checked and all the settings for both sides are correct. I use windows PC Spotify for Windows (1.1.74.631.g0b24d9ad) and on my iphone. I tried the steps you mentioned and they did not work. I follow 58 (15 of these, are my friends). I love getting inspo from what other people are listening to please help 😃

Ver
Status changed to: Closed

Hello everyone,

combining reports from our CS channels and your feedback here, we can confirm that the friend feed is currently working as expected.

As we've confirmed before, the default setting to share your listening activity has been globally set to OFF, for everyone that has never switched it around and toggled it explicitly to ON in the past. This gives everyone more direct control and choice if they want to publicly share what they listen to. This is why you're now seeing less people in your friend feed.

We've looked at individual reports and accounts submitted to us and were able to confirm backstage that the setting to share the listening activity for all accounts we investigated has not been turned on. Furthermore, from the posts here we see that you yourselves are turning on your sharing settings, but we never received a confirmation that your friends have those settings on or the complete information we requested, including what your friends were listening to.

If you're not in touch with someone you follow and can't confirm they have their sharing settings turned on, the only confirmed explanation currently is that after the default was switched to off, they never turned it back on. Your friends need to activate the setting so you can see their activity, not you yourself.

Until this can be disproved, with valid data, there's no reason for us to assume the Friend Feed is malfunctioning and as such will be closing this issue.

If you are in touch with a friend and can provide relevant info of their settings, what device they used, what they were listening to and when, please open another thread with the info and we'll investigate. If you're not in touch with a follower and can't provide said data, your followers have not actively chosen to share their listening history and we encourage to respect their decision.