Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Multiple SD card storage options are shown in app settings

Hey everyone!

We've been receiving reports about the app displaying multiple SD cards in the storage options. 

OI.png

If you're experiencing this, let us know by adding your +VOTE and follow the instructions in the Status Update below.

We'll be keeping everyone up to speed here, so make sure to subscribe to this thread!

Hey folks,

We just wanted to confirm that the right teams are looking into this.

We're not able to provide an exact timeline for a fix, at the moment, but we'd recommend always keeping your Spotify app up to date to ensure you're on the latest version.

Thanks again for reporting this!

Comments
wyntrr_end

yet another user experiencing the same issue here

Samsung Galaxy s10e

One UI 4.0/Android 12 (though the issue has been happening for me since before the latest OS update)

Spotify v8.7.18.1138 (though this issue has persisted through many past app updates)

same deal, 3 storage locations labeled "SD card", two of which (/data/user_de/0/com.spotify.music and /data/data/com.spotify.music) are actually locations on the internal storage, and every now and then, perhaps a couple of times or so per month, it suddenly chooses the "/data/user_de/0/com.spotify.music" location instead of the actual SD card. as with many other users here, that location is at the top of the storage locations list, which is i suspect why that one is the default.

this issue often coincides with my phone's weekly auto-restart, but it doesn't happen every time and sometimes it happens at other times during the week.

i did not have this issue with my previous phone, an LG G5 running Android 9.0, but at some point after i switched to this phone, possibly around the time of the Spotify UI update people have mentioned, it started happening to me repeatedly.

i have tried many times using different SD cards, reinstalling the app, clearing cache and checking optimization settings etc, and none of these has solved the issue.

as a temporary fix to get my music on my SD card properly again, i've been able to delete all my downloaded items from within the app, then change my storage location and manually re-download all of my offline playlists (~4500 tracks with "Very High" download quality), but this only lasts until the next time Spotify resets my storage location, and it is obviously not feasible to do when i am away from wifi or have a slow connection.

edit: i tested this again with my old phone (LG G5, actually running Android 8.0 and the same version of the Spotify app mentioned above) and am only given two storage options: internal storage or the SD card, both of which appear to be functioning as expected.

Mario
Status changed to: Not Right Now

Hey folks,

We just wanted to confirm that the right teams are looking into this.

We're not able to provide an exact timeline for a fix, at the moment, but we'd recommend always keeping your Spotify app up to date to ensure you're on the latest version.

Thanks again for reporting this!

calamar-87

Hi @Mario . Its a completly shame that Spotify has this issue UNDER INVESTIGATION since December 2021 and now April 2022, 4 months later, there is no fix to this issue, that started at October 2021. We, the premium users, are paying for a service that you don't fix!

bjohnsonmn

@Mario 

This not only renders the app unreliable, it exacts real costs on users. It clogs up our devices and consumes data. For those not savvy enough to understand that their download settings may revert and cause redownloading over Cellular, it could create a financial burden. If I was one of those individuals, I would be reading the arbitration section of the EULA right now and exploring my legal options.

FredFrost
Having this triggered every time I need to turn off my phone is the bigger
hassle for me. You have to delete Spotify downloads, I normally delete the
app (might as well as need to reboot anyway), turn off and reboot phone,
reload Spotify, and then download my music again. It literally takes all day
with a 350 GBPM download speed. Please fix this. I will do just about
anything to a keep from turning my phone off, and that is a royal pain.
Jjoyner75
I hold out very little hope I've had this problem for a couple of years. So
far nothing has been done. Maybe when i upgrade my phone it will work. But
probably not.
GazKhan

Same issue note 10 plus 5g.

compzach
Yes keep the app updated, that way the glitchy pile of junk decides to keep our 4 different storage options, with 3 being mirrors of the internal, the app deciding to just randomly switch to a folder I never told it to use, turn the silly canvas feature back on when I told it to stay off using my data to use those looping visuals, or hey why not allow the app to glitch and start downloading songs through cellular again. Also come on this has been an on and off issue since 2018 and your team is only just now getting through to it, its not like this is a tiny issue, certainly seems like quite a lot of people experience it often, here we are at 2022 and no one can still figure out why the app is doing it... no wonder spotify is struggling with money, When this is the customer service I totally understand why, I may hate the navigation in you tube music, but with how bad the android app is, how much it eats system resources and battery and all the useless junk tossed in im almost willing to fumble through you tube music's clunky interface because at least the app isn't falling apart at the seems.
jsauce75

I'm guessing at this point they're just riding it out because almost all new phones do not support SD cards since Samsung dropped support. Annoying and disappointing for sure.

meestermole

FWIW, I had this issue on my Samsung Galaxy A11. Typical issue as reported, multiple SDCard instances.

My issue would be that I would download some albums or playlists, and when offline, if I tried to access them through "My Playlists" or "Albums" - it would attempt to go online to download - presumably album art or to validate or something, because if I searched for an individual song, it would play just fine from downloads. Not ideal having to search for each song.

I was able to "resolve" this by rolling back to an earlier version. Now I'm on 8.6.32.925 

Sucks that I have to roll back to an older version, though I havent looked at the release notes to see if theres any features i'm missing. I just want it to work.

Hope this sheds some light on what may have changed.