Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Podcast episodes in Queue not playing automatically

Hey everyone,

We're receiving reports about podcast episodes not playing automatically one after the other in Your Episodes, playlists, Queue and the show itself. If there are 2 episodes queued one after the other, the second one gets skipped. If there are podcast episodes queued when playing songs, the podcast episodes are getting skipped. Some users report that when there's a podcast episode in the queue it will get skipped and will break the queue.

Hey folks,

Thanks for your patience while we looked into this issue!

We’re happy to confirm that this should now be fixed for everyone! Just make sure your app is updated to the latest version.

If you're still having trouble, make sure to post a new thread in the relevant help board here.

Thanks!

Comments
jess71

The same issue is happening to me. I’ve restarted my iPhone, reinstalled the Spotify app, checked to make sure that Autoplay is on, and it still won’t fix it. I went to the thread you linked but that doesn’t help me because there is no “Play” button on the podcast itself. Only individual “play” buttons on each episode. I’m not given the option to “Play” the podcast as a whole, I have no choice but to hit play on each individual episode. This is super frustrating and is only a recent problem. This hasn’t happened to me in the past until very recently. 

Ver

Hey @jess71,

Thanks for posting here 🙂

It's a good idea to give these steps a go and run a clean reinstall. This one is more thorough than the usual one.

In case nothing changes, could you share with us the exact Spotify version that is running on your phone? You can also send us a screenshot of what you're seeing. We'll look into this further.

Keep us posted.

justinebean

This is happening to me too and started happening after I updated the Spotify app. The app is not updated on my iPad and I’m able to autoplay on that device. I tried the clean reinstall and it didn’t resolve the issue. It’s happening with all podcasts, regardless of sort date. 

Eni

Hey there @justinebean,

Thanks for reaching out about this here in the Community.

In this case we'd suggest you check the solution in this thread to see if that changes anything.

If after that the issue persists, could you let us know the exact make/model, operating system and Spotify version of your device?

Let us know how it goes.

justinebean

Hi Eni,

Unfortunately that solution didn’t work for me. I can only play one episode at a time whether I click on an individual episode or click on a podcast and choose an episode. It also happens regardless of sort order. At the end of the episode it just stops and shows the same episode title with the option to play again. I have an iPhone XR, software 14.6, Spotify version 8.6.44.1230. 

thanks for your help

justine 

Julian

Hi @justinebean,

Thank you for getting back!

We'd like to make sure of something. How does your queue look after you start playing an episode, is the queue empty or does it show other episodes? 

Also, could you try adding manually some episodes to the queue? 

Keep us posted.

justinebean

Hi Julian,

when I start playing an episode, the queue is empty. If I manually add episodes to the queue then the functionality is as expected an it plays the episodes in order. 

thanks

Alex

Hey @justinebean,

Thanks for the reply.

Just to make sure, could you check that Autoplay switched on from settings?

Cheers.

justinebean

Yes, autoplay is on. I did the clean reinstall. I already told you all it was working fine until this latest app update. If you have a solution please let me know instead of just asking me questions everyday. I didn’t change any settings. It worked for years. Then I updated. Now it doesn’t. Clearly something changed on your end. I’m asking for a solution, if you don’t have one just say so. There are other podcast apps out there that work. 

acan2468

I’m having the same or similar issue. I start a podcast and regardless of sorting order it does not playing the next podcast in the correct direction. The queue doesn’t change the direction.

iPhone XR

ios 14.6