Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Unable to stream on Apple Watch

Hey folks,

We're receiving reports that users who previously had the option to stream on their Apple Watch are unable to do so. In a lot of the cases this seems to come up when the setup includes AirPods.

If you’re experiencing this issue, make sure to add your +VOTE and follow the instructions in the Status Update below.

We'll be keeping everyone up-to-speed here, so make sure to Subscribe to this thread. 

Thanks! 

Hello everyone,

We've been passing on your details to our developers and they have already rolled out several improvements to fix the experience reported. 

While the number of new reports seems to have dropped significantly since updates to both the Spotify app and watchOS in the last couple of months, we are aware that some users do still experience issues streaming directly from their Apple Watch, but our tech teams weren't able to reproduce it and this seems to be affecting specific devices or setups, so we're unable to find a solution remotely.

A common solution that we see has been reported working is to do a factory reset on the Apple Watch and add it back as a new watch vs. restoring a backup.

Also, keep in mind that the built-in speaker in the watch cannot be used for music playback by Spotify and you’ll need to have headphones connected to the watch via Bluetooth.

We hope this helps. If you still need a hand, you can start a new topic in the relevant help board, including all the steps you've tried so far and the outcome, and we'll take it from there.

Comments
Mihail

Hey @beefqueen,

Thanks for reaching out to the Community.

We'd like to point out that even though some users have access to the the Streaming on Apple Watch feature, it's still in its testing phase not yet available for all accounts. If you've never had this feature active, you'd need to pair your Apple Watch to your phone with Bluetooth. If the Air Pods are connected to the phone as well, you should be able to control the music using the watch.

We also recommend keeping an eye on our Newsroom and always keeping the app up to date with the latest version. This way you'll get access to all new features, as soon as they're available.

Hope this info is useful. Let us know if there's anything else we can help with.

solielw

Plan: Free

Device: iPhone X + Apple Watch 6 Stainless Steal with Data Plan activated and running

Operating System: iOS 10

How can I play Spotify from my Apple Watch with audio going INTO my Airpods when I am on a run and leave the iPhone at home? I have  data plan on my Watch but the Spotify app on the Watch doesn't see them nor does the song even start to play.

I see everyone is having this issue.

I have done a clean reinstall on both iPhone and Watch and unpaired and paired again the Airpods but the Airpods won't show up in the Bluetooth device list on the Spotify app on Watch despite being connected to the Watch.

Jeremy

Hi there @solielw,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community. We're happy to help.

As a first step, could you try logging out from your account, restarting your phone and watch, and logging back in? 

We also suggest that you head over to your account page and remove your apple watch.

We'll keep an eye out for your reply.

Take care!

solielw

I have done all the above except the second part re account - see further below.

"As a first step, could you try logging out from your account, restarting your phone and watch, and logging back in? "

I have signed out of Spotify across all my 5 iOS devices and uninstalled Spotify from my Apple Watch.

I then reinstalled Spotify app on the Apple Watch and then signed back into Spotify app on my iPhone - as I had to sign into the iPhone again to sync it with the Watch for the first set up correct?

After I have done the above I still can't get my songs on Spotify to play without the iPhone (I have cellular data on watch) and Spot app doesn't see AirPods also as a bluetooth device.

More over - my PLAYLISTS don't show on the watch when it is not within reach of the iPhone. 

In the playlists section it just shows "Liked Songs"  and beneath that playlist there is white text saying "Loading..." as in attached image.

"We also suggest that you head over to your account page and remove your apple watch."

This second part is bit ambiguous and unclear.

There is nowhere on the account page on my laptop browser signed into Spotify account where I can "remove" the watch.

Is it perhaps in the "Apps" section where it then says "Apps with access to your Spotify information"?

If so - my Apple Watch is not listed here - see attached image.

I also went to my Spotify app on iPhone in Settings>Devices>Devices Menu and the Apple Watch does not appear: both iPhone and Watch are on the same wifi network when I go to this page - see attached image.

Just to check: Does one need Spotify Premium subscription for Spotify to play on the Apple Watch without an iPhone?

Screenshot 2021-04-25 at 15.03.23.png
IMG_7866.jpg
IMG_78672.jpg
Novy

Hey @solielw

Thanks for getting back to us and apologies for any confusion. 

We can't say if or when certain features will be released, but if you'd like to see Offline playback for Apple Watch in the future, we'd recommend adding your +VOTE to this idea. 

We really value your feedback as it helps inform our decisions going forward, and we'll be sure to pass this on to the right folks here at Spotify.

If anything else comes up, we're always a message away. 

Cheers.

solielw

@Navy - you missed the point of my message, seems quite conscious of avoiding to understand it and offering a solution or admitting your Spotify just doesn’t  work with the apple watch.

I am not trying to play offline songs/ playlists I am trying to play online, read message again, on the watch via cellular data WITHOUT iPhone.

Novy

Hi @solielw

Thanks for your reply. 

Could you let us know if your AirPods are working fine with other apps on the watch? 

Also, could you send over the exact OS version on your watch and the app version you're currently running on your iPhone?

We'll be on the lookout. 

solielw
Yes AirPods play fine with iPhone, iPad, MacBook and Apple TV.

Apple Watch 6: watchOS 7.3.3
iPhone X: iOS 14.4.2
Spotify app version: 8.6.20.1146
solielw
Correction - I read your message properly - AirPods works fine with other apps in the watch such as Apple Music, Radio, podcast, phonecalls, Siri.
Novy

Hi again @solielw

Thanks for getting back to us!

Could you let us know if you're able to find the watch in the Connect list of your phone and control the music like this?

Keep us posted.