Premium

Country

Australia

Device

iPhone 12 Pro, MacBook Pro, Google Nest Hub, Google Nest Mini, Google Home Max

Operating System

iOS 15.1.1, MacOS 12.01

My Question or Issue

Spotify podcasts stopped working on Google Home connected speakers.

1. When I ask Google Home to play Spotify podcasts, or when I cast from my iPhone to a Google speaker and try to play a podcast, nothing happens.

2. When a podcast episode comes up in a playlist (e.g. Daily Drive) while the playlist is playing on a Google speaker (either direct or casting), the episode is skipped without notice and only music tracks are playing.

The issue became apparent this week but might have been present in December 2021.

Steps taken already did not resolve the problem:

- logged out on Spotify mobile

- updated Spotify on mobile

- unlinked and re-linked Spotify in Google Home app

- restarted my router

Please help!

151 Replies

Hey @Alex, could we get an update on this? “Delete your account” was a bad answer as is, and now we’ve heard that creating a new account doesn’t actually fix the issue. Is there any troubleshooting being done? Is there any other solution than “delete your account”? I used to love Spotify as a product but if this is the way they choose to handle major bugs then that’s a huge problem. 

I have had this same issue, reinstalled and reconnected devices. It worked for a day at most, and didn't work the 2nd or 3rd time. If Spotify can't fix I'll find another service that can. Sad, I've been a Spotify subscriber for almost 12 years...

The same thing has been happening to me with no real solution. I'm not going through the trouble to make a while account, this a Spotify issue. 

Same thing is happening to me after this weekend. All devices that are not a phone or computer will not play podcasts, including my Xbox, Amazon echo devices, and my TV. Please fix this

This is obviously happening to a lot of people. Please update us. It’s not reasonable to ask people to start new accounts to solve your software problem. If I’m going to that much trouble I might as well switch to a new streaming service. 

I’m giving up on Spotify. Sometimes i can’t even play music on my Amazon Echo, it just doesn’t show up on the devices list. When i can play something, the songs I’m listening doesn’t count on my history. So that’s it, they don’t know why this happens and honestly, looks like they don’t even care.

This is the OP from a new account. Just wanted to update y'all that I did end up creating a new account and it played podcasts on my Echo devices for a couple weeks before I started getting the same issue again. I tried contacting Spotify support during this transition as I'd somehow also gotten my brand new hacked twice while doing this, and they asked me to provide bank statements to prove I was a paying customer before they would help me (which I declined because WHY would I give SPOTIFY my BANK STATEMENTS). So Spotify's given advice of "delete your account and make a new one" was 1) terrible advice and 2) not even a working solution. Spotify has clearly given up on this and would rather harass their customers than be helpful at all, so I'll be moving forward with a different music provider. Hopefully this gets addressed in the future and best of luck to you all. 

Spoiler
They're completely lying.
I'm having this issue right now and the only thing their "help" on Twitter hasn't suggested is standing on my head and putting a sparkler in my behind.

My Hulu and Spotify are separate (I had Hulu first), and I'm having this problem currently.

3 months later still not able to cast podcasts like music. wth

3 months same issues no resolution.

Also having this issue.

Hey there,

Thanks for all the posts and shared experiences.

We're currently investigating the reasons behind this issue and would like your further input by providing the following information to pass on to the tech team:

• Is this issue podcast specific? If so, we'd need an URI to the affected podcasts.
  • Which devices are affected exactly? Brand/model and OS/firmware version.

Thanks a lot for all the help,

Cheers!

ElenaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I gave up on a solution and have been using iHeartRadio for podcasts now.

1) all podcasts
2) iPhone 11 running 15.4.1

1) All Podcasts
2) * Amazon Echo Plus 2nd Gen - Software Version 6812454788
* Apple TV 4K 5th Gen - tvOS 15.4.1

Plan

Premium

Country

UK

Device

Samsung Galaxy A21s, HP Pavilion - 14-ce3510sa, Amazon Echo Dot 3rd generation

Operating System

Android 11, Windows 11

I've been having the exact same issue with my Echo Dot- had my account data transferred to a new account on April 6 which sorted the problem for two weeks. Come April 24 and it started up again. Have been in contact with support since Monday, today said they might look into this. Really hope it gets sorted at some point so I have the motivation to listen to my podcasts again. It's such a shame as I absolutely love Spotify and have never had any previous problems and don't want to move to a different streaming service.

Not a podcast or device specific issue, seems like it's probably some sort of account data corruption- although support kept saying I had corrupted offline device cache.

Hey everyone,

Thanks for posting on the Community.

Could you tell us (if applicable) what troubleshooting steps you've been following so far?

Also, let us know if this happens when logging in with a different account on the affected device(s).

We'll be holding up. 

AndresMModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
"Music touches us emotionally, where words alone can't." -Henry Thoreau

There have been several very clear descriptions of the problems encountered and the troubleshooting techniques tried. Like many others, I’ve resorted to abandoning Spotify for any podcasts because of this bug that Support does not care to fix.

Hey @Elena,

I'm afraid to say that I'm experiencing the same issue: I can't cast podcasts on Spotify via Connect to a Google Next speaker.

Scenario 1:
1. Say "OK Google, play [name of podcast]"
2. Google Nest device says "OK, playing [name of podcast] on Spotify"
3. Google Nest device says "Sorry, something went wrong. When you're ready, give it another try."

Scenario 2:
1. Start playing podcast on Spotify from mobile phone or PC
2. Select the Google Nest speaker from the Connect picker in Spotify
3. It shows as "Connecting", but never connects

Device info:
1. Google Nest Mini
2. Motorola Moto G31, Android 11 running Spotify v. 8.7.26.901
3. MacBook Pro 13-inch, M1, 2020), Mac OS Monterey v. 12.3.1 running Spotify for macOS (Apple Silicon) 1.1.84.716.gc5f8b819

Additional info:
- Tried with multiple podcasts
- Hasn't been working since I bought the speaker roughly 6 months ago
- When I first tried to play a podcast, it asked me to enable Voice Match. I enabled it as per Google's instructions, but then I got the error described above

Let me know if you need any more info!

Suggested posts