Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Spotify crashing if I have local files enabled.

Spotify crashing if I have local files enabled.

This has only occurred with the recent Spotify update that overhauled the UI. Previously, I had around 20gb of local files that I could play without issue. After the most recent update, there's a weird UI glitch on the settings page, and I also can't have local files enabled without Spotify crashing. it crashes randomly, even if I don't have music playing.

spotifyglitch.PNG

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling Spotify. I have tried making it only scan an empty folder. I have tried enabling and disabling hardware acceleration. It's super frustrating to deal with this glitch. Around half of my playlists are local files that aren't available on Spotify, and it's upsetting that I can no longer listen to half the music I listen to.

I'm not the only person I know who has this issue. A friend of mine has this issue as well, and he hasn't found a way to resolve it either. I'm using a Windows 10 desktop, and this has occurred on the desktop app. I'm using an AMD Ryzen 5 3600, a Gigabyte Aorus B450m, a Radeon RX 5700xt, 16gb 2800mhz CL15 RAM, and two separate drives, with one of them being a 500gb SSD (C drive) and the other being a 1tb HDD (E drive). 

Any help would be greatly appreciated! 

3 Replies

Hey @KirbyBot,

Thanks for reaching out about this in the Community!

We'd like to look into this further.

Can you try running a clean reinstall of the app, following the steps in this Guide.

After that clear your local files cache, like described here.

Let us know if the issue persists after that.

Cheers.

AlexModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I did a clean reinstall and cleared the cache, but the issue seems to be persisting. I did nothing to my settings after reinstalling besides enabling local files, and there seems to still be the weird black file source on the preferences page. The app is still crashing if I have local files enabled, even if I'm not playing music. Disabling the blank source doesn't fix the issue either. The only thing that fixes it is disabling local files entirely. 

plsfix.PNG

Hi @KirbyBot

Thanks for getting back to us.

Would you mind sending over a video where we can see exactly what happens with the app when the Local Files are enabled? You can send a link to it or attach it using the Insert Video option in the post editor. 

Also, could you confirm the exact Spotify version you're currently running? This will help us investigate further.

We'll be on the lookout. 

NovyModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a "Like".
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

Suggested posts