Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Dislike button missing from Spotify

Dislike button missing from Spotify

Plan

Premium

Country

Spain

Device

iPhone 8 plus / Macbook Pro 15"

Operating System

iOS 12, MacOS

My Question or Issue

Dislike button missing in a lot of playlists in Spotify. Is this a bug? A feature?

This problem is making me crazy, before (like last year) I could like/dislike any song from the majority of playlists Spotify offered me (radios, daily mixes, etc) now it is impossible to dislike...So how is Spotify going to know if I like a song or not?

Only My Release Radar and Discover Weekly keep for now the like/dislike button...

I think this is an important functionality to have in the app. We as users want to configure the platform as we want, so that the offered music as good as possible. If now Spotify is going to begin to have fixed playlists (radio, daily mixes, etc), instead of letting the user change them liking/disliking songs...don't know if I can stay paying...even when I have all my music library in Spotify, and will be difficult to go to other platforms...

Please, please! Return the dislike button to your playlists!

Top Answer
Xenia

Hey there folks, 

Thank you for your posts and feedback - We appreciate it!

We're constantly aiming to improve our features so we hope you’ll continue using it and find it gets better in the future. 

Keep in mind that if you'd like to see the Like/Dislike icons return in the Now Playing view for Premium users, you can also have a look in the Idea Exchange, to see if someone else has already made a similar suggestion, and if not post your own.

The Idea Exchange is a great way for us to see what our users are interested in and how many people like a certain idea. You can read more about it here.

If you have any other questions we're always one reply away.

Cheers!

Top Answer
Alex
Spotify Legend

Hey there folks,

Thanks for sharing your experiences with the Community!

The Hide Song button  should be visible in the Now playing view in the following playlists: Daily Mixes, Release Radar and Discover weekly, as well as on the Autoplay songs. 

The idea behind this is to be able dislike songs from those lists with recommendations, which helps the algorithm to give you songs you might like better in the future.

Don't forget that you can also block artists if you don't want to hear songs from them, by going to their Artist profile and selecting the Don't play this option from the 3-dot menu. Note: You might still hear songs from blocked artists if they are featured in the track of another artist.

Let us know if you have more questions 🙂

117 Replies

Maybe the new Sonos app would be worth a try because Spotify doesn’t consistently work that well with my Sonos system.

spotify becoming like stupid facebook. they only want to hear the positive news

We should probably be spamming their customer support with the same request as much as possible then… I wouldn’t doubt that these forums are effectively treated as a trash bin. .. As in “If you have any complaints, please direct your comments to our trash bin and have a nice day!”

Going to try a tweet at customer support and see what happens.

@rolfeden11 wrote:
spotify becoming like stupid facebook. they only want to hear the positive news

As much as I hear you and want to change something, I still don't know how(

Removing the "dislike" button is so infuriating! I sure miss Rdio. 

If they don't resolve this, I am also jumping ship and taking my monthly subscription with me. 

Anyone have suggestions for other apps that are better?

Exactly what I’m hoping to figure out. I’m ready to move in as well

@tr1ton wrote:
Sent a tweet to their Twitter support
https://twitter.com/spotifycares/status/1258482646268682241?s=21

can you send a link to your tweet? that link opens a general thread but can't see anything about the dislike button ... ( I will add to your tweet)

why the **bleep** do you take the dislike button away? also I cannot like this message which tells us why. dislike to you spotify

I’ve waited several days to ensure the fix stuck but I can now confidently say this issue can be resolved if you reach out to Spotifycares on Twitter. They were very responsive, exchanging several communications with me over a couple of days to ensure it was fixed. 

IMG_0670.jpg

@tr1ton wrote:

I’ve waited several days to ensure the fix stuck but I can now confidently say this issue can be resolved if you reach out to Spotifycares on Twitter. They were very responsive, exchanging several communications with me over a couple of days to ensure it was fixed. 

Are you saying that every single user that has this issue of Dislike button disappearing, needs to contact Spotify to have them refresh our offline cache .... ?!   😲

I guess the guy spoke about something else... I don't see what account caching has to do with a UI element. 

Anyway, as a new subscriber, I was wondering where that obvious element was and what I was missing, so a quick Google search brought me here... And I really don't get it. Why would you guys at spotify prevent us from blocking music we don't want to hear? We can ban whole artists, granted - but this would be useful on individual titles as well.

Same here.

I have dislike button on Android smartphone. It is a Xiaomi Note 10. A big one but not so big as Spotify for Windows. I can make Spotify for Windows opened at full screen, but there is no dislike button anyway.

It is som enigma for me. Please give me dislike button on Spotify for Windows!!!!

When i see a dislike song i need to take to the hand my smartphone and press dislike. Is it a UX that rocks?

This the Spotify for iOS (iPhone/iPad) forum. You are posting about Windows, there is a forum for that.

And so now a 'hide' button has appeared, instead of Dislike button. This is not satisfactory... I don't want to just hide a song temporarily, I want to tell the Spotify algos that i don't like this song, and could it please learn that.

Come on Spotify.. what is so hard about just giving us back the Dislike button? 

Spotify is completely missing the point. It seems they want you to like the song to indicate that you like it and not do anything if you don’t like it. That removes the middle ground where I don’t exactly like the song but also don’t want to not like it. If the algorithm geniuses were thinking they would realize this is an additional data point to even better serve the user what they like. But very likely, they were. I believe the real explanation is the following:

Some inflated ego artist(s) went to their label and complained that it was possible for their song to be “disliked” on Spotify, boo-hoo. And of course the record labels have Spotify by the you-know-what, so this is Spotify choosing what’s best for their own interests as a company rather than what’s in the best interest of their customers.

🎤 ✌🏽

Does anyone know if Tidal or Amazon music offer this button? I am so fed up with Spotify at this point I don't even care anymore. They continue to make things more and more difficult for the people paying their bills. When I listen to Spotify in my car now I have to reactivate my phone every other or every second song while I'm driving. This equates to every 10 or 15 minutes I'm unlocking and messing with my phone just to keep my music playing. I've asked about this issue with no resolve as well. I'm another step closer to moving on. 

Suggested posts