Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Selective syncing.

Solved!

Selective syncing.

Hi, I'm not sure if this has been asked before but I tried googling it and also searched the forum for a bit but I couldnt find an answer..

My question is.

I've litterally just started using Spotify and I was before this a heavy iTunes user. I had a playlist called 5Stars that I sync to my phone. The problem is that it's now around 8GB.

I heard about Spotify's Syncing feature and I just assumed that every song (that Spotify alos had) I had in that 5Star playlist would be in the cloud and all the other songs (Mainly K-pop & J-pop) would be synced as a local file. But when I started to sync the music, It started to copy over all the songs...

Is there a way to only sync local files that Spotify doesn't have and leave the rest in the cloud?

Thanks,

Eddie

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

There is no way to select which local files are synced and which ones are not.

I'm not sure if this is 100% correct because just thinking about it got me confused.

It's just a big mess really... and the solution is complex.

Since you imported an iTunes playlist, the local files folder in Spotify's preferences is probably set to the iTunes folder.

First you need to figure out which of your local files are on Spotify, and which ones are not.

If the song is on Spotify, then put Spotify's song in place of where the local file is for that song in the playlist. (if it doesn't already link to a match)

Then, I suggest creating a new folder somewhere on your computer and add just the songs that aren't on Spotify to it.

Then change the local files folder in Spotify preferences to that folder. That way Spotify will only sync those files.

The playlist then might have a whole bunch of greyed out songs because the iTunes playlist was linked to all local files. You might have to replace a few you missed with Spotify's version if it didn't already link them to a match.

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Marked as solution

There is no way to select which local files are synced and which ones are not.

I'm not sure if this is 100% correct because just thinking about it got me confused.

It's just a big mess really... and the solution is complex.

Since you imported an iTunes playlist, the local files folder in Spotify's preferences is probably set to the iTunes folder.

First you need to figure out which of your local files are on Spotify, and which ones are not.

If the song is on Spotify, then put Spotify's song in place of where the local file is for that song in the playlist. (if it doesn't already link to a match)

Then, I suggest creating a new folder somewhere on your computer and add just the songs that aren't on Spotify to it.

Then change the local files folder in Spotify preferences to that folder. That way Spotify will only sync those files.

The playlist then might have a whole bunch of greyed out songs because the iTunes playlist was linked to all local files. You might have to replace a few you missed with Spotify's version if it didn't already link them to a match.

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Suggested posts