Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Touch Preview on iOS removal

Touch Preview on iOS removal

Hey folks, Spotify here!

Just a quick post to let you know we’re in the process of removing Touch Preview, the feature on the iOS app that gives you a sneak peek of a playlist, song, album, or artist before you hit play.

We’ve taken this decision as it currently has a very low engagement rate. We’re committed to offering the best experience on each platform, and we’re actively looking into new possibilities for the long press feature.

The change will take effect with app version 8.4.15, which goes live in the App Store today.

We’d love to hear your thoughts on what long press feature you’d like to see added. Thanks in advance for sharing your feedback!

Top Answer
MattSuda
Spotify Star

If you would like to see Touch Preview come back, you can add your vote to this idea:

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/iOS-Discover-Restore-Touch-Preview-on-iOS-App/idi-p/1900370

427 Replies

I find Spotify's claim that touch preview had low engagement to be rather curious seeing as the removal of the feature conveniently times almost perfectly with the announcement of a licensing deal with Warner. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/technology-41045279 The news article even states the spotify was forced to make "concessions" and the details of the agreement were not disclosed. I think it's a mistake to be disingenuous about the reasons for removing touch preview.

I never thought of that, caelan_w. I think you may have something there.

Interesting....

if this true, it means we never get this feature back.. I hate this attitude when companies PR pretend they care and at the same time they silently f*** with their users by removes all useful features.. At least we have this *amazing* and heartwarming kudos feature here on forums..... bleh.

Yeah true, It's not worth the risk, although I was able to reinstall a really old version(3.9) of spotify onto my phone. So it can work, but I just can't manage to get the previous version even though I have it on another device. 

I got mad and decided to delete the current version of Spotify, and install Spotify++ from TuTu. Unfortunately, it still doesn't have touch preview, but it has a lot of other nice features that the iTunes version had never had.

Podcasts are now an option under the Browse tab.

There's a downloads tab now in the Library tab.

Podcasts show up in searches now.

You can import music from iTunes right from the freakin app!!!

IMG_5052.PNG
IMG_5053.PNG
IMG_5054.PNG

Here's the rest of my screenshots.
IMG_5055.PNG
IMG_5056.PNG

Do you know if there is a way to get one version of spotify to another device?  I have the touch preview version and want to get that version of the app onto my other phone.

Thanks

I'm so upset by this. I used this feature EVERY SINGLE SESSION. Why remove good UI? It's infuriating. There's no good reason why this would need to be moved. This is how you lose loyal users.

Why? Of course it's not used when it's not even available on android. Would've liked to use it. I don't like how Spotify removes features just how they please like the lyrics feature which was replaced with a worse one that doesn't even show lyrics to songs.

"We got rid of this feature due to low engagement rate."

I used this feature! Do I not matter? Is my experience supposed to worsen because I rely a feature that has a "low engagement rate?" I will be looking for other options to spotify if the company does not reverse this, as it's a ridiculous decision that benefits no one.

I've just realized Spotify is a bad company that adheres to a bad service. Screw you Spotify, you have never listened to a word I've said. You remove important Daly used features. And your app is inconsistent between users... Time to switch.

Touch preview was a feature that I used heavily in the past, and am confused as to why a "low engagement rate" is reason enough to remove it. Very disappointed, as this was something unique to Spotify.

hbjkgikj

This is a horrible decision. I used this feature all the time to quickly find new music. I fully support the suggestion that this feature be reinstated. If it has to become an option that must be enabled to use the feature, then so be it. I want it back in the next release. 

What a joke... i've never seen a company removing a feature before introducing an adequate replacement. Apple for example would never ditch Touch ID without giving an alternative first. Sorry Spotify but that's just plain stupid. So could you guys please bring back Touch Preview!!

THIS IS HEINOUS. Do you have any idea how many songs I’ve discovered using the touch preview?? It was literally the best feature of the app. Why remove it? So you can bump up artist plays? I’m paying $120 DOLLARS A YEAR for this service and you just switch it up and change it whenever you want to...that’s not fair for the consumers! It makes me not even want to use Spotify anymore because of this.... #boycottspotify

Nonononono I use touch preview daily for when im in discover, put it back please its really usefull for me.

Same. I am so upset about it being gone

Glad I'm not using Spotigy anymore likely commenting now is as useless as if I had ever participated!

They won't bring such a simple feature back if they already removed it!!!

I am SO saddened that you got rid of this feature! I use it more than constantly, even if I know the song I enjoy listening to the preview when I am creating playlists. I was so confused when I was holding down on a song waiting for the preview but it never came! Please, please, please bring back the touch preview!!!! I need it, honestly.

Suggested posts