Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

iPhone screen locking while playing and connected to charger

Solved!

iPhone screen locking while playing and connected to charger

iPhone screen locks while plugged in, I’d like to see album art and song title while I drive but it automatically locks after 2 minutes even though it’s plugged in.

141 Replies

Same issue as above

iPhone 7

iOS 12.4

Iphone XS

IoS 12.4

Spotify version 8.15.16.642

phone still goes into sleep mode when plugged in after most recent update

Adding my vote. This is so annoying. I charge my phone when I'm driving frequently and it was very convenient (and much safer) to have the screen not auto lock while it was charged.

This is happening to me too for the last couple of weeks. 

iPhone Xs

iOS 12.3.1

Spotify 8.5.16

Same issue with me - so frustrating and dangerous when driving to have to unlock phone to change the song!

Really hope there is an update to fix this soon, very glad it's not just me experiencing this. 

Model: iphone 6s

Version: iOS 12.3.1

ME TOO! 

IPHONE XR

IOS 12.3.1

SPOTIFY 8.5.15.681

I’ve tried reinstalling the app after the latest iOS update and Spotify app update and the issue still persists. 

Bumping this again because the most recent updates haven't done a single thing to fix this problem. It never used to be an issue when I used Spotify while driving for the past 3 years I've used this service. Tried to mess around with the settings in the Spotify app and within my iOS but to no avail. Would be a shame for this issue to be permanent. As another comment mentioned above, using the Guided access works as a temporary fix. But it's a completely unnecessary and inconvenient step to take. There's 5 pages of people talking about the same thing happening to them, so I'm not sure how much more information is needed to revert this problem back to the way it was before. 

Hey there folks,

We really appreciate all your reports about this.

We'll pass this on to our tech teams so that they can look into this.

In the meanwhile, if you're experiencing this, we'd recommend adding your +VOTE to this issue.

We'll make sure to keep you updated in this thread, thanks 🙂

KaterinaModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself! 

I'm having the same issue. iPhone 7 running iOS 13 Beta.

Marked as solution

Hey there folks,

Thanks for your patience while our tech teams were looking into this.

It is expected that the screen should dim and your device will lock when charging. Keep in mind that you can always wake your device by tapping the screen.

You can also disable Autolock or use the Waze integration while you're driving.

However, we really appreciate your feedback regarding this and we'll make sure to pass it on to the right teams.

Hope this helps clarify things! If there's anything else we can help with, don't hesitate to give us a shout.

Have a lovely day 🙂

KaterinaModerator

Dear Katerina,

thank you for leeting us hnow.

However, please make sure to let the internal teams know, that from the user's point of view this is a terrible change!

In contratry to their statement, it has been always the easiest thing to dim one's screen by hitting the sleep button intead of tapping (and having to unlock) the screen every time you want to see what's currently playing or skipping to next etc. That was a comfy thing not just while driving, but anytime while the phone was plugged in, mostly at home - when you don't mind the higher power consumption (and you might dim it manually anytime you would).
Waze integration is nice, but will never make up for this: A) it's not really reliable, when I launch Spotify through Waze (on iPhone XS), it starts playing, but the Spotify banner within Waze fails to show controls and remains in the "Coninue playing" button state all the time over and over again. B) Not everyone and not all the time is useing Waze! At home it's completely useless, in small cities you don't need it etc...
Please, bring this up for reconsideration.

Thank you!
Jakub

@Katerina wrote:

Hey there folks,

Thanks for your patience while our tech teams were looking into this.

It is expected that the screen should dim and your device will lock when charging. Keep in mind that you can always wake your device by tapping the screen.

You can also disable Autolock or use the Waze integration while you're driving.

However, we really appreciate your feedback regarding this and we'll make sure to pass it on to the right teams.

Hope this helps clarify things! If there's anything else we can help with, don't hesitate to give us a shout.

Have a lovely day 🙂

Hi Katerina,

Once the screen turns off and is locked, there is no ‘tap the screen’ to wake it up. You must press the home button or otherwise. 

That is very frustrating. 

While your internal teams have said this change was deliberate, what is the logic/reason? There must have been a reason for them to consider and then implement this change. 

As Jakub above me said, I don’t use Waze, nor do I intend to.

I also don’t want to disable auto-lock, I have that on for a reason.

I just want my screen to stay on while on charge, and I’m not the only one. 

Please either revert the functionality back to what it was before (which is standard iOS music app behaviour) or add a switch in settings, so we can have screen staying on if we want it. Now I have to turn off autodimming when I want to listen to Spotify and have the screen on, which is a hassle and I'm likely to forget it's on and then not have the screen turn off when I expect it to.

As for Waze, I think that must be a car thing? Not everyone who wants the screen on is using it in a car. I leave it on and plugged in while at work, so I can see what I'm listening to, so Waze isn't any use to me.

Hey there @hermez-cz@Jmac31 and @lilitu93,

Thanks for getting back in touch with this!

If seeing this functionality changed is something you'd like to see again in the future, we'd recommend heading over to our Ideas Exchange and sharing it here.

Once the idea is created, you can share the link in this thread so other users can add their support and feedback as well in order to contribute to the discussion.

Keep in mind that we are actively bringing your votes and comments from the Ideas Exchange to our internal teams on a regular basis so your feedback is appreciated.

You can find more information on how ideas get implemented or how the Ideas Exchange works in this Spotify Answer.

Hope this helps further! If there's anything else we can help with, let us know. We'll be happy to lend a hand.

Have a lovely day 🙂

KaterinaModerator

I wonder if the reason for the change was to force us to use Waze. Then track us even more with our location to send ads accordingly and/or to sell off our info. I don't know, maybe I'm reaching. I just do not understand why this was changed in the first place.

I agree with much of the comments here. I listen in my car (without the need of navigation) and at work. Easily accessing the screen to see who sings it or quickly skip a song is paramount to safety (in car) and ease of use. Having the screen stay unlocked while playing music and charging should be a reasonable request.  Please reinstate this functionality or add the ability to turn ON/OFF. Thanks for your time.

so glad i found this thread, thought i was going insane. 

i drive for a living and have found this update terrible!! whats the point in having carplay if your screen locks??

carplay is made to make it safer to switch songs while driving. but now having to unlock my phone constantly, or keep my eye on it to tap it to stop it locking is way way more dangerous. 

there are pages of people here complaining. please change it back. 

Hi Katerina,

this is absolutely an unacceptable solution. What you’re suggesting  is to get full functionality of your app we need to use a secondary app? Also, WAZE requires significantly more input than the native app and ALSO puts the phone to sleep if not navigating. 

This is not an “idea” or a new feature request and will get buried in the gamut of other requests. This a key functionality of the Spotify app which was taken away due to a bug or some other reason (please share the real reason) which is literally putting people at more risk during driving. That alone should be enough reason to P0 this issue on your end. 

[snip - Community Moderator edit]

Suggested posts