Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Change Username / Profile name

Change Username / Profile name

As a retired database administrator and designer for over 50 years.... the inability to change one's username is hyperbolic nonsense. The excuse Spotify uses is nothing but immature and irresponsible.

Changing a username is literally the most trivial change a user can make to their account, no more than a user can change their name for example with their personal email  (gmail, hotmail, yahoo, comcast, att, etc..) account. 

Spotify needs to get over yourselves and Fix the issues on the front-end so users can change their usernames.

3 Replies

Hey @5W1H, thanks for reaching out to the Community!

I understand your concern, and I am sorry to hear you feel this way. 

Your username is designed to identify you on Spotify, so it can’t change. A new change that has been made is that you can use a display name, that replaces the username where it shows on your profile, app, playlists, and Friend Activity. You're able to add or change your display name following these steps

I'll make sure to pass your feedback onto the right folks. You can also create a new Idea about this if this is something you'd like to see change.

If you have any further questions, just reply here and I'd love to help. 

Billy-JSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

"Your username is designed to identify you on Spotify, so it can’t change." 

Sure, it does, but there is absolutely no reason for a user to not be able to change their profile name. If you cannot manage the dynamic linking then it is your issue and clearly need to hire a competent database designer/administrator. 

The current "fix" is only aesthetics and does not allow a user to change their profile name (ie: https://open.spotify.com/user/<profile_name>).  If a user shares their playlist their profile name, which we want to change, still displays. The "fix" is an absolute farce and a slap in the face to Spotify customers.

No, you do not "I understand your concern" If you had you would not respond to a post with a scripted and mindless response with a supposed "fix" which is only for Mobile and tablet devices. Send this information to your senior developer to assign the correct changes and allow users to change their Profile name as many have requested.

Hey there @5W1H,

Thanks for getting in touch with us. We're sorry to hear you feel this way and we'd love to help you out.

Also, thank you @Billy-J for lending a helping hand. As @Billy-J mentioned the username helps to identify you on the Spotify plattform. It's automatically set and unique for every user due to security reasons and may only be used for logging in to your Spotify account. 

Don't worry, you can always change the display name following these steps. Then people can find you using the display name you've chosen since it appears in your profile on Spotify.

We'll make sure to pass your feedback to the right team. You can also check these steps on how to create an idea. That way other users can also support your suggestion. Keep in mind the higher the number of votes an idea gets, the more likely it is for it to be implemented.   

If you have questions, don't hesitate to reach out to us.  

Suggested posts