Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

GIft e-cards between countries

Solved!

GIft e-cards between countries

Hi all

Just checking: if I buy a gift e-card from under my account registered in one country with the purpose for this e-card to be redeemed in another country, will it work?

I live in New Zealand and want to buy a gift e-card for a person in Spain. Is this going to work?

Thanks.

Accepted Solutions
Marked as solution

Unfortunately not, due to some changes a while back now all Spotify premium codes (gift and eCards) are country specific and can only be redeemed in country in which they where purchased (which it does state on the eCard page).

Peter
Spotify Community Mentor and Troubleshooter

Spotify Last.FM Twitter LinkedIn Meet Peter Rock Star Jam 2014

If this post was helpful, please add kudos below!

View solution in original post

13 Replies

Seems like I found an answer:

http://community.spotify.com/t5/Help-Accounts-and-Subscriptions/gift-cards-used-in-other-countries-E...

Hope the information in this thread is true. 🙂

Yeah... Shouldn't be a problem. If anything, the recipient can just contact Spotify support.

Posted using the Spotify Community app by Liam W
Marked as solution

Unfortunately not, due to some changes a while back now all Spotify premium codes (gift and eCards) are country specific and can only be redeemed in country in which they where purchased (which it does state on the eCard page).

Peter

Thanks Peter.

So bascially there is no way to get a Spotify Premium gift for a person residing in a different country?

Hey there! Just tried this from the US. Click this link and you can select any country site you'd like...then simply scroll to the very bottom of the page and click "Gift" in the footer to purchase a card for whatever country you'd like. I'm assuming you may need to pay a foreign transaction fee.

If this solved your issue - Mark it as a solution!
Twitter | LinkedIn | Instagram
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?

No luck - it wouldn't accept the payment.

Either does not like my credit card issued in a different country or my account which is assigned to a different country.

Or both.

Thanks for recommendation though.

Shame it does not work though - Spotify misses out on some good gifting opportunities.

However, reasons behind doing this are somewhat understandable.

Hmm...I didn't actually pay either, so I'm sorry it didn't work! Maybe get them a visa gift card to pay for something in their own country? 

If this solved your issue - Mark it as a solution!
Twitter | LinkedIn | Instagram
What's a Spotify Rock Star, and how do I become one?

kbrooksc your method won't work, you can only purchase gift cards in the same country as your payment card is registered. Unfortunately there is no easy way to do it I'm afraid.

Peter

Any update on this matter? I found it absurd that we cannot give spotify as gift to some one else in a different country....

@mtoc 

No updates. Still can't gift to other countries

MattSudaSpotify Star
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.
Note: I'm not a Spotify employee.

Yep, this is a big turn off for me. I wanted to give premium cards for 10 friends in Brazil, so we can all use Spotify and share playlists and all, but looks like it´s impossible. I tried Itunes for the same purpose with 1 friend as a test, and it worked... we're all considering just leave spotify and go back to itunes ;/

Really disapointing gift card rules.

"Be nice!"

Just got off chat with support, who are very prompt to respond, and quite nice to chat with.

I had this issue as well, wanting to gift a year of spotify to my girl off in NZ for xmas.

I was told by a different support rep that I could buy a gift card;  my girl would have to switch her profile preferences to USA and it would work.

Well, needless to say, the gift card would not work on her NZ account and she is unable to switch to USA in her prefs.

The kindly support rep refunded my money and offered me a month of premium service for her account for the inconvenience.  He also mentioned that since she was never a premium member in the past, she'd be eligible for the first 3 months for $0.99 (did not mention if it was NZD or USD, either way, a difference of pocket change).

So just to clarify:  I paid 120 USD (which is about 170 NZD) pre-tax, only to find out me buying a gift card for my girl in NZ wouldn't work.  Instead, there's a promotional offer for 3 months for a dollar, and they're giving her a free month, so basically if she bought a year worth of premium with those promos subtracted from her total, she'd be paying 121 NZD... It seems like Spotify has some work to do on reciprocity between their organizations and exchanging of currencies internally.  Turning down 170 NZD up front only to offer a free month and heavily discounted quarter of a year with no guarantee my girl will ever even sign up for 3 cheap months seems foolish from a business perspective. 

All that said, the support reps are VERY nice and super responsive.  Service is mostly good, software is a little odd and not super intuitive.  I'd say prior to this experience my CSat level was somewhere around 8.5/10, but it's gotta drop down to about a 7 because of this limitation.

Hopefully someone from Spoti is reading this! 🙂

Cheers

I would really like to be able to buy gift cards for my friends in other countries. I'm in the EU, and they're all in the EU. Why, in the same economic zone, is it not possible to buy something for someone else? It's just a code. Why tie it to a particular country? I suspect it would be in order to block some sort of cheating attempts. But if it was made possible somehow, I would really appreciate it.

Suggested posts