NEXT STEP

Hide from devices on same network

Hide from devices on same network

Plan

Premium

Country

USA

My Question or Issue

I use Spotify Premium at work- either on my phone or my computer.  Both are connected to the company network (LAN or WiFi).  Today I noticed my coworker's computer showed up on my list of devices. This is disturbing.  Do all devices with Spotify show up if they're on the same network, regardless of whether they're logged into the same account?  MAKE IT STOP!!!

29 Replies

As you are on the shared network of course your Spotify sees other computers but it doesn't means your colleagues can use your Spotify account. They can't see what are you listening either. So, ignore others from your available devices list.

Yeah, still not cool. My coworker hit "play" on his Sonos speaker and it
connected to my Spotify account and started playing my music on his
speaker. I had Spotify open on my computer (trying to figure out a way to
fix the problem), but wasn't playing anything. His speaker connected to MY
account on its own. Maybe not a big deal if this happens between friends,
but it is a problem in a professional setting. I don't understand why "of
course" different users have to see each other's devices just because
they're on the same network. I realize that is how it is right now, but
there should be a fix for this.

Yea the "Of course" was not really necessary. I'm having the same problem at starbucks. Even though I'm logged into my personal Spotify account, random phones keep popping up on my device list, stopping the music on my laptop, and playing their own music. Thats like saying "Because you're on a shared WiFi network, everyone is now sharing bank accounts"

Hey folks,

Thanks for posting about this in the Community.

Regarding other devices on the same network connecting to your account: could you try going here, clicking on Sign Out Everywhere and seeing if it's still happening?

I had a dig in the Idea Exchange for relevant ideas to limit the devices that appear in your list of Connect devices. I found the following idea, however it has since become inactive:

If you'd like to submit a new idea with your suggestion, feel free to do so - you can then post a link to it in this thread so that other users can find it more easily.

Let us know if you need any help or have any further questions - we'll be right here.

This does not solve the problem when it is on a family Wi-Fi in a house full of people on a family Spotify account, I see my sister's, my brothers, my roommates, and all of my own devices. when I see devices on my Wi-Fi This should not be a thing. I should not be accidentally blasting music in my mom's bedroom at 3:00 a.m. because I hit the wrong button I should be able to hide devices. I don't want to play, It's just logical. 

Hey @SptifySuxFixIt,

Thank you for joining the conversation and welcome.

Currently, we don't have an option to hide or remove a device from the list of available devices. However, if you think other users would like this feature too, feel free to post it as an idea on out Ideas exchange board here. Before posting it, we'd recommend taking a look at our guidelines to know a bit more about the process.

If the idea gets enough kudos, it will reach the relevant team to take it into account and start a process of investigation and implementing. More info on how your feedback reaches Spotify via the Idea Exchange can be found here.

Hope this helps, If you have any additional questions don't hesitate to ask.

OscarDCModerator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

This is CRAZY! I am in a hotel where everyone obviously use the same network, and I just accidently stopped the music somewhere in the building, because their phone appeared under "other devices"! This is a party crasher feature pre-teens would probably love to use as a prank, but it just seems so unprofessional and a breach of privacy on your part. Please fix this asap 

" if you think other users would like this feature to...." Yes Oscar I am another user and I would like a feature that gives me the user privacy I shouldn't have to ask for since this isn't a communist country. Would it of been too hard to give me the option to disable displaying my device and others on the same wifi. Don't you see how on the daily life that can be a headache. That's the equivalent of raping someone cause they're at the same wifi.... I mean party. You did not have my consent but because I'm on the same wifi I can't stop you from invading my speaker and playing your music or listening in on my music. 

Currently at an air BnB and cause I am using the same network as my hosts, I have the option of joining their party, and I presume they have the same if I listen to stuff. This isn't cool, and feels surprisingly vulnerable. I listen to folk lore to fall asleep but now worried of mistakes from people on the same network, drunken or otherwise (it is late) disturbing me in a place where I am in my own and have to trust them to not infringe on all kinds of my privacy, not just the music. Having my privacy of my music infringed upon kinda starts to undermine that. Maybe it's just me being overly paranoid but I really dislike the idea I could join their music, or they could join mine

please please make it so that you can hide your device until you want to pair to a speaker and then once you're paired your device cannot be seen. an option to be able to hide your account from other users on the wifi is needed. I only noticed today a family members device on the connection list and I panicked because I have my preffered name as my nickname (I'm trans) and now I'll have to change it to my deadname so I don't get outed (if I haven't been already). I'm sure plenty of people have been outed by this and it seems like a small detail but can cause big problems. it's sucky enough I have to use my deadname irl all the time and it's in my user name now I have to hide when online too 😞

It is absolutely insane that all 200 residents of my dorm have the ability to affect my music. Especially since I'm an RA, there are plenty of people looking to mess with me. You have got to figure out a way to turn this off.

The implementation of this feature is poor judgement from Spotify. There should be a method of disabling it and the feature should be opt-in not opt-out. Privacy is something that concerns many users. 
A “feature” like this makes me consider moving away from 10 years of Spotify Premium to a compeeting provider. 

Cheers!

This happened to my wife at a hotel. Someone kept hijacking her session and changing the song to mess with her. She thought her wireless headphones or her phone were getting hijacked

I remembered the stupid feature so I had her disconnect from WiFi and that stopped it. Ridiculous though! And you don't even know when someone's connected unless you specifically look for it or they mess with you

You can't submit an idea because the page goes into a refresh loop making it to where nothing loads to post an idea

I work at a hospital. I don’t need to share music with every employee and patient trying to use their account. There should be a setting. This is the most frustrating thing and ruining my small break from patients when I need to relax. I don’t need to fight to listen to my own account I pay good money to have. 

There's no please about it Spotify.

As far as the consumers are concerned either disable this feature, and fix your privacy issues or lose the consumers to providers who already do.

I have private playlists. If someone on my wifi joins my Bluetooth speaker session whilst I’m listening to them (without invitation even being needed), then they stop joining the session (even almost instantly) - my whole queue list remains available to them to then listen to on their own device at their leisure. In effect my playlist is then on their account for them to save. It therefore makes my playlists no longer private but public to anyone on the same wifi. This defeats any privacy settings. 

Me too. I live in student housing with over 200 other residents using the same wifi. People have interrupted my music almost everyday at least once. At one time they kept reconnecting to my phone playing their music even though I kept changing it back to mine. I don’t even know why this needs to be a feature. If you want to listen to music on a certain device, sign into said device. You should only be able to control music from your account not anyone on the same wifi as you. This could potentially be even a bigger problem for kids using Spotify. I know I had Spotify at 13 and that was 7 years ago so I’m sure even younger are on here now. On a large local wifi such as in hotels or hospitals or anything else that many people connect to, someone could play extremely inappropriate music or a podcast on that CHILD’s device. Just show devices that are signed into the users account. I know there’s an option to only show my devices to me. But I don’t want my devices seen by other people. And for speakers just whatever’s connected to your phones Bluetooth. Seriously come on Spotify. 

Yes whenever I stay at a hotel someone hijaacks my private listening as a prank. Spotify you need to sort this out immediately.

Suggested posts