Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Library Song Limit

Solved!

Library Song Limit

Spotify staff-

I recently reached the 10,000 song limit in my library, which is a great disappointment.  As a loyal customer for over 3 years, I have thoroughly enjoyed your product, so much that I have shifted to using it as my main source of music collection.  There must be some way that you can enable "super users" to continue to file and organize their music over this arbitrary limit.  

There may not be many of us, but (and this should be obvious) those of us that actually reach this limit are your core constituents.  We are passionate about music and your product, and I can tell you that I have gotten at least 20 people to sign up to Spotify Premium over the past couple of years as I have raved about it.  I will continue to do so, with the caveat that Spotify just isn't yet ready to become a full-fledged music library of record for musical aficianados, much to my disappointment.

One more thought: You may find interest in the creation of some type of super user account that would allow you to charge SLIGHTLY more for those of us who desire or require a higher song limit (say, unlimited...) without having to alter the accounts of your millions of users.  Bottom line is that unlimited should mean unlimited, especially in this age of big data, but a 10,000 song cap with no alternative is absurd.

Thanks

271 Replies

It is rediculous how pathetic Spotify's response is. It shows they dont care about their users they just car about volume. I think i'll be moving to Google Play because of it. Yeah I'll miss out on a couple features but at least I can have all of my music in one place.

I've been using the service for about 3 months and I've filled up. NOT happy. May switch to something else.

This is exactly the reason why I switched to Google Play Music, even while Spotify has a more beaubeaut user interfacei

A limit of 10.000 songs is so 1990

I predict that this limit will kill their business....

When they remove this limit i will directly move with my whole family from Google play music back to spotify 

Why is Spotify so hostile toward users who actually want to use their library?

Exhibit A: This issue

Exhibit B: No way to access my saved albums/songs from artist page in the app

GPM doesn't work like this.

Also, FYI for Spotify community team, lying to us about the issue doesn't help, it just alienates us more. The idea that you can't vastly increase the limit without degrading the experience for everyone is patently ridiculous. It's a list of bookmarks.

Fix it!

I also just discovered this... I have to say, I am quite disappointed =[

Spotify's response is that "only 1% of users reach the 10,000 song limit."

1% of 70 million users is 700,000 people. That's seven hundred thousand of us who are experiencing cognitive dissonance on a daily basis as we try to reconcile our love for Spotify with our disdain for the non-sensical and punitive song limit.

I understand that there are costs associated with increasing the maximum song limit, costs that Apple, for instance, can more easily bear thanks to their enormous profits and mountains of cash. I am cognizant of the fact that the bottom line is important to this company, and being in a net loss position for the past few years is definitely one of the major sticking points for potential investors; the recent direct listing of Spotify shares will only compound investors' concerns.

But as the OP said: superusers should be rewarded, not punished. Fix. It. SVP.

I have the samen issue! Stuppid that they limited the library? Can't see why...

I find it strange that a service that would want to keep you long term, would limit the number of songs you can save. This is very short-sighted. Spotify is no different than most of the tech companies these days. It is all about money and they don't give a **bleep** about the users.

I think that instead of saving you should just put bookmarks on album or something similar, so you don't fill up "Your saved songs" and you can add all the albums you want.
Help me here upvoting this!
https://community.spotify.com/t5/Idea-Submissions/All-Platforms-Your-Music-Bookmarking-Albums-instea...

Reached this limit today, while manually migrating my Apple Music library. Needless to say, I never cancelled a subscription faster. Wish I knew about this limitation before wasting a day to manually migrate my library. A shame really, I liked Spotify better otherwise, but I cannot live with such a low and purposeless limitation.

I'd love to do the same but I already paid for a year subscription

I've only started using Spotify about half a year ago, back in August 2017 and have just hit the cap on it; weirdly enough I've only "bookmarked" 8986 songs. That's not even close to 10000 and they've already blocked me off. What the **bleep** is going on???

I just reached my song limit too and I am **bleep**. I don't want to unbookmark albums and curated playlists I've created because of this ridiculous limit. I think I'm going to have to switch to Apple Music because there is no song limit. 

You know, the most infuriating thing about this entire affair is that there's no heads up about this limit. There's no meter in your library, no warning or notice anywhere, it just hits you someday, out of nowhere, and prevents you from doing exactly what this entire service is supposed to be about: creating an awesome music library. It essentially **bleep**s on all the effort you've put into building your collection, and prevents you from building it further unless you destroy part of what you've already gathered with so much love and attention. Which sends a clear signal that this service is not made for you, the music lover who wants to build his perfect collection.

If I've known about this limitation beforehand I could have saved so much time wasted into creating the library, and even work around it by other means (curating my library using playlists for example, as inconvenient as that is). But no, it had to be an arbitrary, pointless, hidden limitation to take the fun out of the entire deal. Just like buying an awesome sports car, getting over excited by imagining all the potentially awesome experiences you can have with it, just to discover, during your first trip, that you can't go over an arbitrary and very low speed limit.

So Spotify, get this through your head: you're not building towards a great experience, you're building towards a **bleep**ing huge disappointment.

This is a deal breaker for me.  I've just hit my limit and even if I spent a day removing any songs I don’t want in my collection anymore I would probably only recover around 10% and in a year or so I will be in the same situation.

I'm in my mid thirties and not ready to stop adding to my music library.

I guess I'm going to have to take my library elsewhere as Spotify don’t appear to being doing anything about or have any intentions to fix it in the future.

Same problem here. Started looking around for alternatives..  Spotify you suck

As a long time Spotify power user, let me also chime in on this topic.  Both the 10,000 library limit and the 3,333 song download limit are ridiculous from the users perspective.  Many people want to recreate their CD libraries on a streaming service.  Over time that adds up to a ton of albums and songs.  The idea that it is acceptable to limit the number of songs that can essentially be bookmarked in the application is all about serving Spotify's licening needs and not their users need.  Many users may accept these arbitrary limits because they don't reach them regularly.  But as time goes on more people will. And the users who already have reached the limit may not leave Spotify immediately. But when there is a better option, look out.  And someday there will be.  Fix it now and respect your users.  I know of no other service with this limitation including your direct competitors.  

Use some of that IPO money 🙂 

Nothing new to add to the discussion, besides the fact it happened to me yesterday. Needless to say - awful frustrating limitation. What's the rationale behind it? Infra cost? How many people reach such limit anyways?

Suggested posts