Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Android Widget Removal

Solved!

Android Widget Removal

We’re here to let you know that we are retiring the Spotify Widget for Android this week. 

We always take retiring features in Spotify very seriously. We’re pouring our energy into new ways of creating the best experience for our users.

You can still easily access the same playback features as well as information about what is playing through the Spotify playback notification and device lockscreen.

Screen Shot 2019-08-08 at 12.49.40 PM.png

To access the playback controls on Android simply swipe down while you are using Spotify to access the controls.

Screen Shot 2019-08-08 at 12.49.48 PM.png

If you’re interested in learning more about how the app evolves, check out our article about testing and why features change.

We’re also welcome to feedback from our users. The best way to give us feedback to is to write an Idea in our Idea Exchange

Thanks!

518 Replies

Ridiculous to remove the functionality that i use every single day 

Just bring back the widget.  Surely you can see the annoyance this has caused your Android app users?  Why remove a feature just because Apple don't support it?  Surely that's their problem?

What's going next? Shuffle? Playlists?

Time to abandon the sinking ship

Such a dumb decision, was it really that taxing to have the feature?

Mabye I should go to Tidal too. To many issues with Spotify these days, they don't add features only removes them. Still no big music library and still no way to sort you music in more ways (like sort on year).

It looks like Spotify isn't doing great financial speaking. Or the board wants to cut more and more costs, so the profit is bigger. Still strange to remove the widget, because it was there for many years unchanged....

Nevertheless my hate towards Spotify is growing bigger and bigger. Enough is enough!

That's a shame. Subscription canceled. Application deleted. Dezzer won.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Terrible idea to remove, bring it back!

Did no one seriously check to see how much use that widget gets? My service is paid for.  So disappointing.

I'm here to let you know that I am retiring the Automatic Card Payment feature for Spotify payments this week. 

I always take retiring features very seriously. I'm pouring my energy into new ways of creating the best experience for myself.

You can still easily access the same payment features through the unique Spotify Payments Collection utility which I have created. To use this feature simply send an easily identifiable Spotify employee to my address between 19:00 and 19:01 on the first Tuesday of every month where payment can be collected entirely in Canadian 1 cent coins.

I firmly believe this is in the best interest of all involved.

Hi all,

We're hearing you regarding the removal of the Android Widget.

If you'd like the widget back, we recommend leaving a vote for this idea. Regardless of which status the Idea currently has.

Thanks!

I strongly disagree on removing the widget. It give me easy access to open Spotify every single day. Now i have to go look into my apps folder to open the app. Dont like it at all 🙄🙄

This was a poor decision, and not very well thought out or researched. I used to use Google Play Music, but switched to Spotify because a lot of my friends were using it, making it easier to share songs when coming up with ideas for set lots, but it just isn't worth the aggrevation of having to open the app to start my music everytime.  If it's not back before my subscription is set to renew, I'm going back to Play Music.

The feature voting on that page is a joke. You are just trying to bury this. There are features that are being kept alive with votes from 10 years ago. That thing means nothing, it's a place you send people so that you can ignore them. After voting stops you get to eventually even remove them.

This is my opinion, if the case is not such. Then you have done very little to assure that stuff happens in there.

lol, so now its i new idea???? you removed an existing feature that many use daily.... bring it back thats it.... its simple

@Guido wrote:

Hi all,

We're hearing you regarding the removal of the Android Widget.

If you'd like the widget back, we recommend leaving a vote for this idea.

Thanks!

Add the widget back!  Please!  ASAP!

It was the most useful widget on my homescreen.

The number of finger swipes it now takes to start Spotify or skip a song is now doubled (sometimes tripled).  Which is distracting at the least and dangerous at the most.

Several "improvements" implemented over the last two years have dramatically decreased the the functionality, ease-of-use, enjoyability, and most importantly, safety of using the Spotify app.  The removal of the "Random Play All" feature was the first to descrease the ease of use to the point that it is now unsafe in many circumstances, such as when driging.  And now the removal of the widget app too.

Who is the app being redesigned for?  Why remove the widget?  A real answer wouldbe nice.  For those users who didn't want it on their homescreens before, all they had to do was remove it.  For those of us who used and relied on it, it's just one more for the stack of "helpful features that have been removed".  

Very frustrating, Spotify.

Btw, the only change to feature and and/or pricing plan we actually want is the addition of lossless streaming.  Add that feateure ... and take away nothing else.  Please!

I have no idea what drugs you people at spotify are doing these days. But you just removed the only part of spotify i use on my cell phone when im out travelling. With no incentive left to keep spotify i feel forced to cancel my subscription and start exploring competitors.

Thanks spotify, you have given me alot of good years. I understand we have outgrown eachother and i see you want to go your own way. I will keep following my already set path. 

hahahaha now it's marked as an "idea" how pathetic

Bad idea remove the widget! New features don't prevent you keep widget nor all other features is going right.

Please just bring this feature back. I use it everyday. Not understanding why it was removed. 

Suggested posts