Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Playback stops after 9 seconds

Playback stops after 9 seconds

Plan

Premium

Country

Egypt

Device

Huawei P30 Lite

Operating System

Android 9

My Question or Issue

Playback frequently stops after 9 seconds. Internet speed is always good. I perform internet speed tests when happens and I always get good speed avove 10 Mbps, plus browsing and streaming from other apps works perfectly. Force stopping the Spotify app and trying to play the song again fixes the problem for the current song, but it happens again after a couple of songs if not the song right after. Clearing the cache, logging out then in, clearing application data abd cache and uninstalling then reinstalling the app didn't fix the problem.

57 Replies

Hi again @nickystee

Thanks for keeping us in the loop.

If possible, could you try logging into your account using a different device? You can also ask a friend or a family member to log into their account using your device to see if they can replicate the issue.

Also, would you mind sending over your laptop's exact OS version and the Spotify version you're currently running? This will help us take a better look at what's happening.

We'll be on the lookout for your reply. 

My OS is Chrome. I can't find what version of the Spotify app I'm using is. It's similar to the web player

Hey @nickystee,

Thanks for getting back to us 🙂

We'd suggest you give these steps a go. That way you can check which Spotify version is running on your device.

You can also try with another network. Are there any changes?

If the issue persists, It's a good idea to also try running the app as administrator.

You can send us a video recording of what you're seeing. We'll investigate this further.

Keep us posted! If you have questions, we are here for you.

Ver Moderator
Help others find this answer and click "Accept as Solution".
If you appreciate an answer, maybe give it a Like.
Are you new to the Community? Take a moment to introduce yourself!

I had the same issue while listening on Google Home mini. I resolved it by doing a factory reset on the speaker, not the app. So if you're listening on an external speaker, you could try resetting THAT device.

As I am using the web player, I can not reinstall  - there is nothing installed.

I logged out and in - no change. I cleaned the complete browser history (incl. cookies) - no change. I restarted my computer - no change.

I looked for Spotify support - no avail! 

I am asked if I am a robot - EVERY TIME I WANT TO POST - ANNOYING!

I tried to send feedback: Cutoff after 500 Characters - ANNOYING!

I tried to write this answer - after a while the page reloads and resets the "I am no Robot" setting and kills the page - ANNOYING!!!

I would try to threaten with deleting my accouunt and subscription, but I know, that Spotify doesn't care !!!

Hey @DäLudds,

Thanks for your post.

Sorry to hear that you've had such a bad experience trying to reach us, we've passed this feedback on to the right team.

Regarding the issue - we'd recommend Logging out everywhere and then logging back in only on the web player. This will force sync your account with the servers.

If that doesn't change anything, try using a different browser and a different Spotify account. You can ask a friend/family member to log in with theirs or create a new free account for test purposes.

This will help us narrow down the cause 🙂

We'll be on the lookout for your reply.

AlexModerator

sHi,

thanks for your try. 

As I stated before: I tried logging out, clearing browser history, restarting the computer. I don't use any other player than the web player on one single PC. ??

I tried another browser and - hey it worked. I wanted to tell you that by replying to your post, but first the "I'm not a robot" told me, the timeout had expired and cleared my message, in the second try the community server told me something had timed out. ?? After that I did not want to type all this a third time, so I went back to listening to music. - Obviously the web player is not the only unstable software from spotify. ??

Unfortunately I had to stop the music for an hour or so. When I tried to start it again I got the message "oops something is wrong with the playlist" (or similar to that). Now the web player doesn't work in firefox either (queue empty, starting my playlist does not do anything).??

Finally, after restarting the Firefox completely I got it to work again. 

Somway I can get it to work, but I can say the same about my old cassette player.

FOURTH TRY!!! I'm Furious!!!! When I tried to post this message for the fourth time (I only used plain text and a few emoticons from the editor's menu bar) this time I get the message "invalid html code found". NO, I'M STILL NO ROBOT! I DON'T KNOW HOW OFTEN I HAD TO PROVE THAT TODAY!

sHi,

thanks for your try. 

As I stated before: I tried logging out, clearing browser history, restarting the computer. I don't use any other player than the web player on one single PC. ??

I tried another browser and - hey it worked. I wanted to tell you that by replying to your post, but first the "I'm not a robot" told me, the timeout had expired and cleared my message, in the second try the community server told me something had timed out. ?? After that I did not want to type all this a third time, so I went back to listening to music. - Obviously the web player is not the only unstable software from spotify. ??

Unfortunately I had to stop the music for an hour or so. When I tried to start it again I got the message "oops something is wrong with the playlist" (or similar to that). Now the web player doesn't work in firefox either (queue empty, starting my playlist does not do anything).??

Finally, after restarting the Firefox completely I got it to work again. 

Somway I can get it to work, but I can say the same about my old cassette player.

FOURTH TRY!!! I'm Furious!!!! When I tried to post this message for the fourth time (I only used plain text and a few emoticons from the editor's menu bar) this time I get the message "invalid html code found". NO, I'M STILL NO ROBOT! I DON'T KNOW HOW OFTEN I HAD TO PROVE THAT TODAY!

AND EVEN THE FIFTH POST HAS FAILED WITH A MESSAGE "AN UNEXPECTED ERROR HAS OCCURRED".

YOU DON'T HAVE TO NARROW DOWN ANY CAUSE. YOU HAVE TO LEARN HOW TO PROGRAM! HEY, AT LEAST I KNOW HOW TO RECOGNIZE PARKOMETERS!!

Hi @DäLudds

We're sorry to hear you've been struggling again to post your reply, we've passed your feedback to the team in charge.

Could you let us know if the issue persists when you open the web player from an incognito window?

Another thing you can try is to remove any entries that contain Spotify from your host files. This can sometimes cause issues with the web player. Follow the steps described in this Solution.

Keep us posted!

EniModerator
If you appreciate my answer, maybe give me a Like.

“Music acts like a magic key, to which the most tightly closed heart opens.”– Maria von Trapp

Tried every suggestion, alas to no avail. Plays for 9 seconds then stops from iPhone or Surface Pro

Hey @Adrianhobson,

Thanks for searching for the answer you need here.

We're sorry to hear you're also experiencing this issue. Just to make sure that we're on the same page- when you performed a clean reinstall, you used this guide, right? It's very thorough and ensures that no damaged files remain.

If that didn't fix things could you borrow a friend or family members account and see if the issue comes up there as well. Alternatively you can create a free one here.

Hope you find this useful. Let us know how you get on.

Mihail Moderator

Thanks Mihail, I really appreciate your suggestions. I have good news and a solution. Spotify chat were great and we tried everything even using a test Spotify account all to no avail. This pointed to the problem being with the Google Home. I did a factory reset (hold button at back in for 15 seconds). When the Google Home restarted everything was fine and Spotify plays perfectly again.

Hey @Adrianhobson,

We're happy to hear that you found a working solution!

We'll be here if you have any other questions.

Cheers.

Mihail Moderator

The version of Spotify I'm using has no menus like the ones described in the troubleshooting steps I was referred to. I've included some screenshots of my Spotify app. It works on other devices, but no matter who I'm logged in as on my Chromebook, or if I use incognito mode, every song still stops for 3 to 10 seconds at the 9 second mark. This has been going on for years now, and I pay for premium. Please help...

Hey @nickystee,

Thanks for keeping in touch.

It looks like the screenshots weren't uploaded correctly. However, since the desktop app isn't available for Chromebook, it looks like you're using the web player.

If your Chromebook has Google Play Store, could you try downloading the Android app from there and let us know how it works?

You can find more info about Spotify on Chromebook in this article.

Keep us posted on how it goes.

CarlosEModerator

Got the same problem im using it on Chrome. 

It stardet a few days ago and its not on every song.

Hey there @user-removed,

Thank you for your post here in this thread.

Can you let us know which troubleshooting steps you've taken that's been provided in this thread so that we can continue assist you in the best way.

We'll keep an eye out for your reply.

Take care!

JeremyModerator
Live, love, laugh and listen to music 🙂

I restarted the PC and cleared the cache.

Hey @user-removed,

Thanks for getting back to us.

We understand that this is happening in the web player, correct? Does it happen also when using the app? 

In any case, it's a good idea to try connecting to a different internet network and checking if the same happens there. If it works with another connection, it's best to contact the service provider of the original network for more information. 

Be sure to also give it a go with a private or incognito browser. That way we can check if data stored in the browser is causing the issue.

Hope this helps. Keep us posted how it goes.

Mihail Moderator

Have tried it with an Incognito tab also brings unfortunately nothing
On the network it can not be because it worked and suddenly just no longer. Also it is not with every song. And it is always exact at 9 seconds

Hey @user-removed,

Did you have the chance to give the app a go? Does the same happen there? If you could ask a friend or family member to log in their account on the same device and see if the playback stops then as well, that would help us a lot. A possible alternative would be to create a new account and see if the issue comes up there.

Let us know how you get on.

Mihail Moderator

Suggested posts